GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf 2.5L Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 08-02-2017, 01:47 AM   #1
Makillaz
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2012 Golf. Base 2.5 M/T
Smile United Motorsports Tune has been flashed!

So I finally broke down and got my car flashed with the United Motorsports ECU tune. First impression was that I should have done that the day I bought the car! What an upgrade! The main reason I wanted the tune was for the promise of getting rid of that awful rev-hang. Well the rev-hang is long gone. Shifting is much smoother and those backfires are pretty cool too. Next improvement is the rev limiter. Stock is 6200rpm and now its 7500rpm! That increase in the revs allows second gear to go over 70mph. Not gonna lie, I was hesitant to bring it that high the first couple times. And the last improvement is the decent increase in power. UM claims +25hp and +12lb-ft. I haven't bothered with a dyno yet but there is DEFINITELY an increase in low end power. Now I just need to invest in a stage 1 clutch/lightweight flywheel to improve the overall responsiveness of the N/A MK6s. For those interested or hesitant to get the tune, JUST DO IT! The best money I've spent on my Golf yet. Also the tune cost $350 plus shop labor rate 1hr @ 140/hr plus tax. So my tune was just under $530 USD.

Stay Golfing

Makillaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:20 AM   #2
MLue1
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Thumbs up

Welcome to the forum!

Nice Pic of your car, I love Cali !

Thanks for posting, how about a dyno pull, it would answer a lot of questions.
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #3
madbikes
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 Golf 2.5L 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makillaz View Post
So I finally broke down and got my car flashed with the United Motorsports ECU tune.
Who did your UM Tune?
APR-Carbonio intake/United Motorsports Tuned/Black Forest Industries 2.5L Lightweight Flywheel and Clutch kit/Black Forest Industries Stage 1 Motor mount+transmission mount+dogbone insert/Bilstein PSS coilovers/034 Motorsport Rear Sway Bar/StopTech ST-40 328mm Big Brake Kit/StopTech stainless steel brake lines
madbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:35 AM   #4
Makillaz
Passed Driver's Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Nice Pic of your car, I love Cali !

Thanks for posting, how about a dyno pull, it would answer a lot of questions.
Thanks! And eventually I will get dyno results but I that wont be until I get other mods done.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:37 AM   #5
Makillaz
Passed Driver's Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbikes View Post
Who did your UM Tune?
Neat little shop called Tomas Sport Tuning out in Berkeley. Was the only shop listed on the UM website that was near me.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:28 AM   #6
FlowMK6
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: Golf 2.5 5spd
Welcome to the forums, I have a UM tune too and for the improvement in driveability it totally worth the price

As for the "back fire" sound, if you worry about the damage it could cause, it won't hurt your engine, I worried before and contacted UM and they told me it's normal on cars with high flow exhaust (less restriction) due to the removal of the rev-hang, it sounds freaking awesome with an aftermarket cat-back like the Techtonics Tuning Exhaust with a single borla muffler
FlowMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote