GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf 2.5L Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 08-08-2017, 12:55 PM   #1
onecrazyfuq

Drives: 2013 VW MK6 Golf 2.5 Auto
Warm starting issues. HELP NEEDED!!!

I have a 2013 2.5 Automatic golf with approx 66k. Recently whenever I have issues starting the car after it I have turned it off and it sat for approx 10 minutes. When I start it in the morning no issues, but if i stop at a store and go to start up again the car will not start unless I give it a little gas. The car also makes a surging sound for a moment after starting. I have replaced the fuel filter along with the air filter. It seems to be a warm start up issue. No codes have been thrown. All advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance. -Anthony

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
onecrazyfuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
MLue1
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
I have heard about this problem, even experienced it on cold winter mornings but never had any problems when the temperature is over 40 degrees F. When it's really cold I don't dare turn it off until I've driven for 10 minutes.

When last was your car serviced ? You should try cleaning your throttle body (butterfly valve and the barrel), with a can a carb cleaner and some paper towels; then do a throttle body adaption. If you take it to a Mechanic chances are he will do the same steps.
https://youtu.be/41yFXjibtLY
https://youtu.be/fdLA5pXUkk4

Last edited by MLue1; 08-08-2017 at 03:10 PM. Reason: + comment
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:13 PM   #3
onecrazyfuq

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
I have heard about this problem, even experienced it on cold winter mornings but never had any problems when the temperature is over 40 degrees F. When it's really cold I don't dare turn it off until I've driven for 10 minutes.

When last was your car serviced ? You should try cleaning your throttle body (butterfly valve and the barrel), with a can a carb cleaner and some paper towels; then do a throttle body adaption. If you take it to a Mechanic chances are he will do the same steps.
https://youtu.be/41yFXjibtLY
https://youtu.be/fdLA5pXUkk4
It happens regardless of temp. If drive it around for a while and turn it off briefly as soon as I attempt to turn it back on it gives me a hard time starting unless I give it some throttle. It would be so easy to diagnose if it would just throw a code.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
Staver
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2012 MKVI Golf - 2.5L
Quote:
Originally Posted by onecrazyfuq View Post
It happens regardless of temp. If drive it around for a while and turn it off briefly as soon as I attempt to turn it back on it gives me a hard time starting unless I give it some throttle. It would be so easy to diagnose if it would just throw a code.

any luck? It couldn't be bad spark plugs or something like that? Or maybe you are running rich in terms of your fuel mixture.

I saw a few posts on other boards where this kind of symptom was linked to the fuel system where things weren't shutting off properly and things were getting slightly flooded. But those were on older VWs.

Mark
Staver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:31 PM   #5
onecrazyfuq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staver View Post
any luck? It couldn't be bad spark plugs or something like that? Or maybe you are running rich in terms of your fuel mixture.

I saw a few posts on other boards where this kind of symptom was linked to the fuel system where things weren't shutting off properly and things were getting slightly flooded. But those were on older VWs.

Mark
No luck so far. I haven't changed the spark plugs yet because the car is completely fine when it's up and running. I just have to give it gas to start when the car is warm

Old 08-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #6
MLue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staver View Post
....Or maybe you are running rich in terms of your fuel mixture.

Good suggestion !
I know in the winter that seems to be the case if you turn off the engine before it warms up, it's a bugger to get started again.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #7
MLue1

Lightbulb

Just went to the Dealer to get CV boot for my car, spoke to a mechanic while I was waiting for the part about your problem, he says you have a gasket leak when warm throwing off the computer, he suggest using a smoke machine to trace it, they hook up the smoke machine to the vacuum hose and let it run. He also suggest checking the PCV for leak.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:00 AM   #8
onecrazyfuq

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
Just went to the Dealer to get CV boot for my car, spoke to a mechanic while I was waiting for the part about your problem, he says you have a gasket leak when warm throwing off the computer, he suggest using a smoke machine to trace it, they hook up the smoke machine to the vacuum hose and let it run. He also suggest checking the PCV for leak.
I thought on these cars the pcv was integrated into the valve cover

Old 08-17-2017, 08:43 AM   #9
MLue1

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecrazyfuq View Post
I thought on these cars the pcv was integrated into the valve cover
Yup !

It could be just the PCV diaphragm in your valve cover tore or it could be the heat cycles have caught up with you and the valve cover gasket is leaking. The round part of the valve cover comes off to reveal the diaphragm.
http://germanoem.ca/parts/air-intake...98pcv-fix.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (30.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by MLue1; 08-17-2017 at 10:02 AM. Reason: + info & pic