GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Mk6 vs......

Old 08-14-2017, 02:47 PM   #29
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs2013GTI View Post
The question I have for you is what kind of "tracking" are you talking about? I have looked through over 30 pages of your build page and see that you do what seems like AutoX mostly for track days. In my experience and I have only done a little track time on a Auto X course is you barely get out of second gear.

The track stuff I am used to is Willow Springs, Chuckawalla Raceway, Laguna Seca a few times and Streets of Willows (short track of Willow Springs) all here in California. My experience is through my Evo's of the past, and on straights at least at Big Willow would hit around 150mph, downshift, hit a turn at 100plus and mash the throttle.

Though I have never taken my GTI on a "Track" I did have the opportunity a few times on a deserted road get it up to around 120 and the GTI at least stock was very light on its feet. Actually made me feel very uncomfortable. The GTI I fear does not have the Aero from the factory to help keep it buttoned down on high speed tracks. That is a concern also I have. The Evo has all kinds of Aero, as does the STI and RS to keep the car planted. The Golf R also has allot more Aero than the GTI as well, though not as much as its competitors. People will mock the Evo and STI in particular because of the big "Wing" on the back and "Vortex Generators" and such and think they are for show. They are not. I know first hand and many car jornalists have stated this as well. Example. I drove a Evo 9 RS at Big Willow, then drove my Evo 9 MR right after. Not just myself but my friends said my car felt WAY more stable not only on the straight but the corners at high speed vs the car that basically only difference Aero wise was the Wing, Vortex Generators, Wicker Bill and the Zero lift kit that is basically Air Brake guides and a 1 inch lip on the front bumper. It made a BIG difference though.

Now, I would agree with you, an RS or anything of the like, would not really perform well on a tight course like an AutoX event. The bigger turbos take longer to spool, the Aero work never really comes into play. The GTI is better suited for this type of racing, especially with the DSG for its shorter gearing and anti lag of the turbo, yet you rarely are out of 2 or 3rd gear and you hit what MAYBE 50-60mph? Get the same cars on a "TRACK" doing 100+ and things are a TOTALLY different story here.

Am I going to do the crazy stuff I did in the past? No. Am I going to AutoX? No. Do I want to go to a "Track" Yes. Do I think the GTI is good on a track, not sure, not a high speed one just from the little I have seen and maybe if I can get the mods, and go find out it may or may not be great for it.

On paper though, even with a KO4 on an open track with the same driver doing back to back runs I bet you the RS is faster, the STI will be faster too. So the big question is, Build the GTI and hope its great on a Track for occasional use, or get a turn key car that has already been proven to do so?

Again not mocking the GTI great car, but I think we are comparing apples to oranges here. Day to day driving tough to beat a GTI and I think for AutoX duties a new MK7 GTI Sport would be king. Factory LSD, Bigger Breaks and more power right out of the box, THIS would be kick ass. That isn't what I would want to go back to though. I am looking at actual race tacks, and though I would not compete anymore, I think the GTI would be good in these conditions, just not great.

I could be wrong. Just my gut feeling. Everyone has their own experiences and we all have our goals in mind. I look at my car in the garage right now and say this...."I Wonder"........
[IMG][/IMG]

I dabbled with autox a few years ago, but now I do about 10 HPDE days a year on road courses, Autobahn (Joliet IL), Gingerman (South Haven MI), Grattan (Belding MI), Blackhawk Farms (South Beloit IL), Road America (Elkhart Lake WI), Putnam Park (Indianapolis IN)

GTI's definitely need some things to handle good on a road course like sway bars, mounts and bushings. Not turn key at all like you said.

I actually didn't think the gti did very well at autox. 2nd gear is very torquey I thought there were much better platforms for that style of driving. For the record I think there are much better platforms for road course driving as well than the GTI but I have to say, once you dump some money into it, the thing does VERY well on the track.
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:58 PM   #30
Jeffs2013GTI
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 SB GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
I dabbled with autox a few years ago, but now I do about 10 HPDE days a year on road courses, Autobahn (Joliet IL), Gingerman (South Haven MI), Grattan (Belding MI), Blackhawk Farms (South Beloit IL), Road America (Elkhart Lake WI), Putnam Park (Indianapolis IN)

GTI's definitely need some things to handle good on a road course like sway bars, mounts and bushings. Not turn key at all like you said.

I actually didn't think the gti did very well at autox. 2nd gear is very torquey I thought there were much better platforms for that style of driving. For the record I think there are much better platforms for road course driving as well than the GTI but I have to say, once you dump some money into it, the thing does VERY well on the track.
Yes, so you see my Dilemma here? Either way I go will cost money, so its either a car payment for something turn key, or money to mod.

Tough choice for sue..

Thanks everyone, really do appreciate the input.

Jeff
Jeffs2013GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #31
Speeddemon69
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 MK6 GTI
Quote:
Yes, so you see my Dilemma here? Either way I go will cost money, so its either a car payment for something turn key, or money to mod.

Tough choice for sue..

Thanks everyone, really do appreciate the input.

Jeff
yeah with the difference that your car is paid off already and you can mod at your pace. car payments are not flexible. I modded my car over the years and its modded pretty well with the only thing I really need to upgrade is the braking system.
Speeddemon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #32
Jeffs2013GTI
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddemon69 View Post
yeah with the difference that your car is paid off already and you can mod at your pace. car payments are not flexible. I modded my car over the years and its modded pretty well with the only thing I really need to upgrade is the braking system.
That is true too. Good Point. Payments are every month as mods are when the money is there. Very good point.

Curious on the K04 this is just bolt on I am assuming, any other mods needed after initial bolt on? On an OEM map it will run right? Until you can download a map or get your ECU cracked?

are there some K04 kits that are better than others? I was looking through ECS for their kit and APR. Seems APR has a very good kit runs $2800 but has all you need. I would need an I/C for sure and a DP for sure. DP needed right away can do the I/C as the next mod.

So Stock Injectors are fine and stock fuel pump? Dont have to change any of that?

Jeff
Old 08-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #33
BoostedVW11
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 2003 Subaru Wrx Stage 2
OP if you buy RS can you let me know how good my exhaust sounds when i flyby?

cool thanks bro

chyeah
BoostedVW11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:31 PM   #34
Jeffs2013GTI
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedVW11 View Post
OP if you buy RS can you let me know how good my exhaust sounds when i flyby?

cool thanks bro
Just curious how much your mods cost to be able to do that?

are we talking a $27,000 GTI and $10K in mods to beat a $36k RS? or??

I know it was a pun, haha just sayin...
Old 08-14-2017, 04:33 PM   #35
Jeffs2013GTI
FIA GT Champion

I was looking at this kit....

https://www.getunitronic.com/parts/t...-k04-turbo-kit

Comes with Software.

Would probably get their DP as well. https://www.getunitronic.com/parts/e...-gen1-downpipe

That would be the start....if I stick with the GTI.

Before my back injury I could do this myself, now I need help with this install and that will cost me. It is what it is.

Thoughts..

Jeff
Old 08-14-2017, 04:37 PM   #36
BoostedVW11
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 2003 Subaru Wrx Stage 2
Quote:
Just curious how much your mods cost to be able to do that?

are we talking a $27,000 GTI and $10K in mods to beat a $36k RS? or??

I know it was a pun, haha just sayin...
stage 2 tune, downpipe, rear sway bar, street summer tires, brake pads.

Under 2k

Or you could go k04 for a bit more and make 5.0s look like prius at the track. just like prius owners they never check their mirrors.

This is Jay745 on the forums, this was lap 2 of 3 with him filling mustangs mirrors. This particular track day required point bys for passes, took mustang 3 laps of getting GTIs front tow hook up his exhaust pipe for him to finally let the ego go and let him pass. Was pretty comical to see.

chyeah

Last edited by BoostedVW11; 08-14-2017 at 04:42 PM.
BoostedVW11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #37
CMGTI
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '11 GTI
Car paid off, low miles and mostly stock? Instead of making car payments on a new car, I would use that money for mods. Depending the route you would go as parts go (new or used) it would be pretty reasonable. IMO, thats what I would do.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:10 PM   #38
ithrashmotors
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Mk6 gti
Don't get in over your head and rack your brain with going k04 and dropping thousands right away. Like the guy a couple posts up top said, stage 2 and some brake and suspension bits will make it feel like a totally different car. Plus you can always revert back to stock and make some money back if you do decide the gti truly isn't the platform for you. But if that was the case you wouldn't be here or own a gti to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2017, 05:36 PM   #39
2012TP
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithrashmotors View Post
Don't get in over your head and rack your brain with going k04 and dropping thousands right away.
This.

~ $1500 on stage 2 and some decent fluid/pads/stiffeners make for a night and day difference. Not, it's not an RS, but it's plenty of car for the streets and basic track duty.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:38 PM   #40
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedVW11 View Post
Or you could go k04 for a bit more and make 5.0s look like prius at the track. just like prius owners they never check their mirrors.

This is Jay745 on the forums, this was lap 2 of 3 with him filling mustangs mirrors. This particular track day required point bys for passes, took mustang 3 laps of getting GTIs front tow hook up his exhaust pipe for him to finally let the ego go and let him pass. Was pretty comical to see.
that 5.0 was NOT happy about him not being able to pull away from me.
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:39 PM   #41
Jaber
Modero

Drives: 2013 GTI
I see: Location: Imperial Valley, CA

Should check and see what your emissions is like, before diving into modding the car. Stage 2 and beyond, require an aftermarket DP with a high flow cat.

If you have strict emissions, might not be worth your time, having to deal with O2 spacers, passing readiness, visual inspections, etc.

#TEAMMINIVAN - BBRT, Banana Bread Racing Team
Jaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:53 PM   #42
Jeffs2013GTI
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaber View Post
I see: Location: Imperial Valley, CA

Should check and see what your emissions is like, before diving into modding the car. Stage 2 and beyond, require an aftermarket DP with a high flow cat.

If you have strict emissions, might not be worth your time, having to deal with O2 spacers, passing readiness, visual inspections, etc.
This is very valid. The actual city I am in we have no smog requirements up to the point we sell the car. So pretty lucky there, but I am not sure how longer I will be living here and every other county in California you must smog your car every 2 yrs. Now they even have check points on freeways where they "randomly" pull over cars and check for CARB violations.

So things like a DP, Oil Catch Can, stuff like that, instant fail. That is for sure. Didn't think about that. Crap. I mean I am good for now.

Good Point, I am glad you did bring Emissions up. mmmmmmm