GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 08-25-2017, 01:50 AM   #15
Jarred767
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2011 White GTI 4DR 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by senseless1707 View Post
Looking good! Can't wait to see what you have planned for it...I feel embarrassed when I look at my exhaust tips haha
Thanks, they're really not too difficult to bring back to life. Super fine steel wool (0000) and almost any metal polish will do wonders, or even regular polish for your paint with the steel wool would probably be fine too. Give it a shot
Jarred767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:28 AM   #16
Jarred767
Oval Newbie

Got around to a couple more minor things checked off the list this week. I did the airbag sticker removal, no before shots, but everyone knows that they look like and sorry even the after shot isn't great but you get the point. I love the cleaner look, but that adhesive kinda sucked getting all the way off.

In my efforts to get it as close to "new", I did an intense polish and protect on the door jambs and that white paint pops now! Maybe ready for some future GTI door sills....

I also took the the under-hood heat shield thing off and cleaned the engine up as it desperately needed it.
Before:

After: so much better

Got a few boxes in the mail this week too for new projects, just need to try and find some time for the car between work and family
Old 09-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #17
C1iffyp
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2012 Carbon Steel 4-Door 6MT
Gosh, that bay looks WAYYY Better!

Nicely done. Luckily I don't encounter that much dust, I just give mine a wipe off every week or so.

Need to do the airbag sticker removal on mine too, you have inspired me!
Old 09-12-2017, 02:41 AM   #18
Jarred767
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1iffyp View Post
Gosh, that bay looks WAYYY Better!

Nicely done. Luckily I don't encounter that much dust, I just give mine a wipe off every week or so.

Need to do the airbag sticker removal on mine too, you have inspired me!
Thanks, the bay will be so much more enjoyable to work under there now. I'm pretty sure the previous owner didn't do a single thing under the hood, so it was probably never even wiped down since it rolled off the lot.

The airbag stickers help that clean look, after doing it, it made me wonder why I had never taken those stupid things off of any other car I've had. I didn't even remove the visors, it was super easy, just painstakingly slow to get the final adhesive off.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #19
C1iffyp
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2012 Carbon Steel 4-Door 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarred767 View Post
Thanks, the bay will be so much more enjoyable to work under there now. I'm pretty sure the previous owner didn't do a single thing under the hood, so it was probably never even wiped down since it rolled off the lot.

The airbag stickers help that clean look, after doing it, it made me wonder why I had never taken those stupid things off of any other car I've had. I didn't even remove the visors, it was super easy, just painstakingly slow to get the final adhesive off.
I'm mega OCD so I totally understand that one. Opening the hood shouldn't make you cringe, lol.

What'd you use for the adheiseve remover? Goo-Gone?
Old 09-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #20
Jarred767
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1iffyp View Post
I'm mega OCD so I totally understand that one. Opening the hood shouldn't make you cringe, lol.

What'd you use for the adheiseve remover? Goo-Gone?
I've read that a strong IPA works really well (above 70%). I didn't have any when I wanted to do it, so I used concentrated window cleaner that I buy for my detailing business. It's essentially a strong alcohol so I figured it'd work fine and it did.

An IPA like 95 or 99% is probably the easiest/cheapest to use based on diys out there.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:36 AM   #21
Jarred767
Oval Newbie

Been a little while, but finally got another thing crossed off the list: Rear Wiper delete with Kill All Wipers delete plug. Looks so clean, I love it!

Before:

After:

Slowly but surely
Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM   #22
Jarred767
Oval Newbie

Couple more things checked off the list on the GTI this weekend. I'm planning on getting a tune (but will probably wait until after winter) so while I threw in new spark plugs I also upgraded to R8 coils in prep for the tune. From everything I can tell, it was still on the original plugs at 97k miles, but I couldn't notice a huge difference after changing them, piece of mind though.

Finally got around to putting in all of my interior LED lights from DeAutoLED and it's amazingly better inside. Probably my favorite thing I've done so far in the short time I've owned the GTI. A couple before and afters with the exact same garage lighting (none).