GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My First Build: Candy White GTI

Jarred767

Ready to race!
Got around to a couple more minor things checked off the list this week. I did the airbag sticker removal, no before shots, but everyone knows that they look like and sorry even the after shot isn't great but you get the point. I love the cleaner look, but that adhesive kinda sucked getting all the way off.

In my efforts to get it as close to "new", I did an intense polish and protect on the door jambs and that white paint pops now! Maybe ready for some future GTI door sills....

I also took the the under-hood heat shield thing off and cleaned the engine up as it desperately needed it.
Before:

After: so much better

Got a few boxes in the mail this week too for new projects, just need to try and find some time for the car between work and family:23:

C1iffyp

Passed Driver's Ed
Gosh, that bay looks WAYYY Better!

Nicely done. Luckily I don't encounter that much dust, I just give mine a wipe off every week or so.

Need to do the airbag sticker removal on mine too, you have inspired me!

Jarred767

Ready to race!
Gosh, that bay looks WAYYY Better!

Nicely done. Luckily I don't encounter that much dust, I just give mine a wipe off every week or so.

Need to do the airbag sticker removal on mine too, you have inspired me!

Thanks, the bay will be so much more enjoyable to work under there now. I'm pretty sure the previous owner didn't do a single thing under the hood, so it was probably never even wiped down since it rolled off the lot.

The airbag stickers help that clean look, after doing it, it made me wonder why I had never taken those stupid things off of any other car I've had. I didn't even remove the visors, it was super easy, just painstakingly slow to get the final adhesive off.

C1iffyp

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks, the bay will be so much more enjoyable to work under there now. I'm pretty sure the previous owner didn't do a single thing under the hood, so it was probably never even wiped down since it rolled off the lot.

The airbag stickers help that clean look, after doing it, it made me wonder why I had never taken those stupid things off of any other car I've had. I didn't even remove the visors, it was super easy, just painstakingly slow to get the final adhesive off.

I'm mega OCD so I totally understand that one. Opening the hood shouldn't make you cringe, lol.

What'd you use for the adheiseve remover? Goo-Gone?

Jarred767

Ready to race!
I'm mega OCD so I totally understand that one. Opening the hood shouldn't make you cringe, lol.

What'd you use for the adheiseve remover? Goo-Gone?

I've read that a strong IPA works really well (above 70%). I didn't have any when I wanted to do it, so I used concentrated window cleaner that I buy for my detailing business. It's essentially a strong alcohol so I figured it'd work fine and it did.

An IPA like 95 or 99% is probably the easiest/cheapest to use based on diys out there.

Jarred767

Ready to race!
Couple more things checked off the list on the GTI this weekend. I'm planning on getting a tune (but will probably wait until after winter) so while I threw in new spark plugs I also upgraded to R8 coils in prep for the tune. From everything I can tell, it was still on the original plugs at 97k miles, but I couldn't notice a huge difference after changing them, piece of mind though.

Finally got around to putting in all of my interior LED lights from DeAutoLED and it's amazingly better inside. Probably my favorite thing I've done so far in the short time I've owned the GTI. A couple before and afters with the exact same garage lighting (none).

Last edited:

Jarred767

Ready to race!
Put a set of DeAutoKey's LED's on the license plates this week as well and love the upgrade. SO much cleaner looking. Anything else I can switch to LED rather easily? :D

Also did the Klima cleaner on my AC coils to get rid of the stinky foot smell for good!!!

Every time I do even small things to this car I love it even more. Already my favorite car I've owned for sure, the future looks bright!

Jarred767

Ready to race!
A few more minor things checked off the list on the GTI. I continued to spread the funds between necessities and fun stuff as I work on making sure everything's up to par.

Got her up on jacks for the first time and changed the transmission fluid. The old stuff was pretty black (pretty sure original) and I replaced with Redline MTL and it feels good, but honestly not a crazy difference. It's nice knowing that it's done and good for another 40k though!

I then went and got a set of winter tires put on and went with Continental Si's (just in time as first snowfall is this weekend) and installed my Rokblokz mud flaps. I wasn't 100% sure how I'd like the look but I knew I needed the function for winter. After installation, I think I'm pretty fond of them.

She continues to impress :wub:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
car's looking good... totally with you on getting OCD with the detailing; little things that can collectively make a big difference. Fun tip if you wanna take your engine bay detailing further; you can really clean up oxidation on the valve cover, alternator, and other metal parts like the mounts with copper wire brushes.

Jarred767

Ready to race!
car's looking good... totally with you on getting OCD with the detailing; little things that can collectively make a big difference. Fun tip if you wanna take your engine bay detailing further; you can really clean up oxidation on the valve cover, alternator, and other metal parts like the mounts with copper wire brushes.

Thanks for the reminder, I often forget this. I’m planning on getting some brushed screws and washers to “spiff it up a bit.” I’ll hit those with the copper brush at the same time:thumbsup:

Phur

Autocross Champion
I've read that a strong IPA works really well (above 70%). I didn't have any when I wanted to do it, so I used concentrated window cleaner that I buy for my detailing business. It's essentially a strong alcohol so I figured it'd work fine and it did.

An IPA like 95 or 99% is probably the easiest/cheapest to use based on diys out there.

I can’t stand this but am afraid it will just end up looking messed up. I am super anal about my car. Can you tell that something used to be there? Can you get some closer shots? I would very much appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jarred767

Ready to race!
I can’t stand this but am afraid it will just end up looking messed up. I am super anal about my car. Can you tell that something used to be there? Can you get some closer shots? I would very much appreciate it.

I kind of could at first (which annoyed me), but I put a couple layers of Trim Shine on the whole visor since they're just vinyl and it seemed to help everything blend a lot better. I don't notice any difference any more at all (but I honestly haven't looked super closely at them in weeks. I'll try to get some really well lit pictures of what they currently look like for you.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Thank you.

Jarred767

Ready to race!
Thank you.

I tried taking some pictures, but literally nothing comes through on camera worth posting, sorry. I don't notice them at all anymore, but when I looked at them looking for something I could still see a faint outline of the where the old sticker was. I doubt anyone else would ever see it or recognize it, but it is there if you're looking at it in the right angle. Hopefully that helps.