GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2017, 03:02 AM   #1
Jarred767
Oval Champion
 
Drives: 2011 White GTI 4DR 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 170
Fuel filter, spark plugs, coil packs & Seafoam??

So looking to plan out sone PM on my recently purchased GTI. From what I can tell, still original fuel filter, plugs and coils (96k miles), so I plan on replacing them all (with upgraded R8 coils). But I'm curious in what order I should do a seafoam treatment or if it's worth it? I bought some, and have used it in past in the gas tank, but never through the intake. I can't say it doesn't make me nervous, but there's a lot of good reviews (and plenty not so good), so I'm kinda torn. I've watched the DIY on here too, so feel like I could do it easily if I want to, just not sure what the best order would be.

Any advice would be awesome! Thanks!
Jarred767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:42 AM   #2
1ashchuckton
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
1ashchuckton's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI Carbon Steel Grey DSG
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 521
I agree it is time for plugs & coil packs. The fuel filter is a good idea too along with a engine air filter & cabin filter if those look like they need it.

I'm not a fan of seafudge. Snake oil in a can that will do nothing to clean the backside of the intake valves. I've had good luck with Chevron Techron although it won't clean the valves on our DI engines either. It will help keep the combustion chamber & injectors clean.
1ashchuckton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:33 PM   #3
BigDezzy
Oval Champion
 
Drives: 2012 MKVI GTI 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 150
Always seafoam first THEN replace plugs and coils next. This keeps the new plugs cleaner... no crude fowling then up. Make sure the engine is cold before replacing the plugs. Let the car sat for a couple hours before changing the fuel filter out as well. You wil get some fuel leakage no matter what… Keep your face away from the houses when you're disconnecting them. Make sure to torque the spark plugs… I think it's around 17 lbs/ft of torque. Also, I had a hell of a time with two of the three clips on the fuel filter. It helped to have a tiny flat head screw driver to push down on the release tab while gently trying to separate the retention clip. Be super careful with the fuel filter so that you do not damage the clips on the houses. It can be frustrating… Patience is key.
BigDezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #4
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver
 
lilonespaz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 5,691
i wouldn't seafoam. IMO.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakcard View Post
listen to your gut....And lilonespaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #5
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Clownish's Avatar
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
i wouldn't seafoam. IMO.
Agreed. Does nothing for us.
__________________
Clownish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #6
Jarred767
Oval Champion
 
Drives: 2011 White GTI 4DR 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 170
Thanks guys really appreciate the thoughts. I already bought the stuff, but the more I research it, the more hesitant I become, especially since I don't have any noticeable issues with the car. Wil it hurt/help at all to just run it through the tank (or a portion through the crankcase next time I change the oil?

Anything else that might be recommended to help clean internal stuff up a bit before changing out plugs, coils, and filter? Thanks again!
Jarred767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #7
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver
 
lilonespaz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 5,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarred767 View Post
Thanks guys really appreciate the thoughts. I already bought the stuff, but the more I research it, the more hesitant I become, especially since I don't have any noticeable issues with the car. Wil it hurt/help at all to just run it through the tank (or a portion through the crankcase next time I change the oil?

Anything else that might be recommended to help clean internal stuff up a bit before changing out plugs, coils, and filter? Thanks again!
Uh nothing really. Direct injections cars as just messy. After 60-80k miles you'll need a carbon cleaning and then you'll be good to go for 60-80k
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakcard View Post
listen to your gut....And lilonespaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:28 AM   #8
Jarred767
Oval Champion
 
Drives: 2011 White GTI 4DR 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
Uh nothing really. Direct injections cars as just messy. After 60-80k miles you'll need a carbon cleaning and then you'll be good to go for 60-80k
Yeah, I just bought it and carbon cleaning was done at 70k (currently 96k). Coils, Filter and plugs are all original though, so changing them out for PM, but sounds like best to just stick with that and not add any additives or anything?
Jarred767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #9
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver
 
lilonespaz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 5,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarred767 View Post
Yeah, I just bought it and carbon cleaning was done at 70k (currently 96k). Coils, Filter and plugs are all original though, so changing them out for PM, but sounds like best to just stick with that and not add any additives or anything?
i dont add any additives.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakcard View Post
listen to your gut....And lilonespaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:21 AM   #10
nvturbo
Formula 2 Driver
 
nvturbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 VW VERSA hatchback
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 5,303
Remove the intake manifold and clean the combustion chamber. That's the cheapest method. Seafoam is not recommended for newer turbocharged cars.
__________________
nvturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:10 AM   #11
Jarred767
Oval Champion
 
Drives: 2011 White GTI 4DR 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 170
Thanks again for the suggestions, I've decided to hold off on the seafoam and maybe just add some to the crankcase before my next oil change.

Regarding the plugs, Ive done a ton of research and cant seem to figure out which ones might better for my situation. Engine is bone stock and I may tune to stage 1 in the future, but that would almost certainly be as far as I'd go with the car. I'll upgrade to R8 coils, but not sure if the double platinum plugs (PFR7S8EG) or iridium plugs (BKR7EIX) would be better suited. It seems like platinum are better and only $10 more total, but I feel more people use iridium. Suggestions?
Jarred767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #12
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver
 
lilonespaz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 5,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarred767 View Post
Thanks again for the suggestions, I've decided to hold off on the seafoam and maybe just add some to the crankcase before my next oil change.

Regarding the plugs, Ive done a ton of research and cant seem to figure out which ones might better for my situation. Engine is bone stock and I may tune to stage 1 in the future, but that would almost certainly be as far as I'd go with the car. I'll upgrade to R8 coils, but not sure if the double platinum plugs (PFR7S8EG) or iridium plugs (BKR7EIX) would be better suited. It seems like platinum are better and only $10 more total, but I feel more people use iridium. Suggestions?
platinum have a longer life than iridium. It would just depend on how often you wanted to change them.

here is a good article about different plugs for our car.
http://www.hstuning.com/blog/uncateg...i-tsi-engines/
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakcard View Post
listen to your gut....And lilonespaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:52 AM   #13
Jarred767
Oval Champion
 
Drives: 2011 White GTI 4DR 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
platinum have a longer life than iridium. It would just depend on how often you wanted to change them.

here is a good article about different plugs for our car.
http://www.hstuning.com/blog/uncateg...i-tsi-engines/
Thanks! Yeah, I had seen that article linked in a few other threads (great article btw) and they sound like they recommend the platinums, an that's what I'm leaning toward, but it sounded like many used the iridium, so wasn't sure if there was a different benefit to those that I was missing.
Jarred767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:21 PM   #14
brobst
Formula 5000 Champion
 
brobst's Avatar
 
Drives: CSG mk6 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,018
Benefit for Ir is w/m application. Pt doesn't work well with that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
__________________
K04 P&P | 325whp/325wtq | Beyond Superior Interior | Brobst's Build | Data logs
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGTI View Post
Superior interior is like 500hp at the wheels doe
brobst is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.