GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 08-23-2017, 02:27 PM   #1
fatty
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: gti 2011
Mobil 1 Oil Deal

Walmart.com has 5-Quart Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (Various Grades) on sale for $22.88 - $12 Rebate = $10.88. Select in-store pickup where stock permits to save on shipping.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10417424-5-...featured-17032

Just picked up 6 jugs as I do alot of driving.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
aj_law
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 Tornado Red 4DR 6MT GTI
Nice. They must've extended it because I did this back in July, I think.

Note: It's limited to 2 rebates per household. Hope you have trustworthy friends/family!
('12 4DR/TR/6MT GTI - MEMBER OF THE 120K+ MILE CLUB) WISHLIST (bolded done...lol): Performance - Unitronic Stage 1 & CAI // Unibrace UB // DG springs // H&R 26FSB/22RSB // Tyrolsport Subframe Kit ||| Cosmetic - OZ Leggera HLT // Color matched markers/lip // Black emblems/grille stripes // OEM R Tinted LED tails // Raceseng Ashiko shift knob // 30% tint // Soundaktor delete
aj_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:39 PM   #3
DSGVW
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI DSG
love this deal.. stocking up
DSGVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:16 PM   #4
gavinfla
Ready to race!

Drives: 2012 GTI
I visited Wamart on my brothers advice and looked at all the oil brands an liked the prices, but no 5W-40W.... they has 0W-40 but no good for south florida. I like to do 10k till oil change. I would like to put 90$ bucks in my pocket per change... oil quality is key. I'm not going back to the days when 1500 - 3000 miles oil changes to expensive, besides havev to add a gt. Around 3k so the additives in the oil are kept up.
gavinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #5
zef
Oval Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinfla View Post
I visited Wamart on my brothers advice and looked at all the oil brands an liked the prices, but no 5W-40W.... they has 0W-40 but no good for south florida. I like to do 10k till oil change. I would like to put 90$ bucks in my pocket per change... oil quality is key. I'm not going back to the days when 1500 - 3000 miles oil changes to expensive, besides havev to add a gt. Around 3k so the additives in the oil are kept up.
I would definitely not be doing 10k OCI's on a GTI especially with the heat. Unless you have a used oil analysis to back it up. 5k OCI's are normal, but 10k on a turbocharged engine is crazy. I don't know a single vw 502 oil that's good for that much mileage.

On a side note, mobil 1 is practically a 5w-40. It does just fine in the heat.
'13 GTI CW 2 DR (DSG) - Eurodyne Stage 2/HPA DSG Tune | Cobb TBE | IE CAI | IE FDS IC | 034 CC | VWR Subframe Pucks | 034 SD Mounts | MSS SPRING KIT (learn more here) | 034 Pendulum Mount | Supaloy Control Arms | B6 Passat Front Spindles | Koni Yellows | RSE10 | more to come! Follow me on Instagram!: jg_gti
zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:29 AM   #6
TimS
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '12 Golf R
10k isn't 'crazy', it's the factory recommended service interval. If you do a lot of short trips and city driving, though, it's not a bad idea to do it more often.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:12 AM   #7
aj_law
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 Tornado Red 4DR 6MT GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
10k isn't 'crazy', it's the factory recommended service interval. If you do a lot of short trips and city driving, though, it's not a bad idea to do it more often.
FWIW, I seem to recall VW oil change interval was 5K back in the day before they started including "carefree maintenance" in the sale of the vehicle when they conveniently switched to 10K.

Pretty sure it was the same engine too, might've been on the 1.8.

Can't find the link to support that though. 5K oil changes are small price to pay for piece of mind.
('12 4DR/TR/6MT GTI - MEMBER OF THE 120K+ MILE CLUB) WISHLIST (bolded done...lol): Performance - Unitronic Stage 1 & CAI // Unibrace UB // DG springs // H&R 26FSB/22RSB // Tyrolsport Subframe Kit ||| Cosmetic - OZ Leggera HLT // Color matched markers/lip // Black emblems/grille stripes // OEM R Tinted LED tails // Raceseng Ashiko shift knob // 30% tint // Soundaktor delete
aj_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #8
TimS
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '12 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_law View Post
FWIW, I seem to recall VW oil change interval was 5K back in the day before they started including "carefree maintenance" in the sale of the vehicle when they conveniently switched to 10K.

Pretty sure it was the same engine too, might've been on the 1.8.

Can't find the link to support that though. 5K oil changes are small price to pay for piece of mind.
I don't know anything about the switch, but I don't disagree that 5k is cheap insurance. Especially when pretty much everyone's driving habits qualify as 'severe'.

If it was the 1.8T, the 5k interval could have had something to do with their sludge issues.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
gavinfla
Ready to race!

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by zef View Post
I would definitely not be doing 10k OCI's on a GTI especially with the heat. Unless you have a used oil analysis to back it up. 5k OCI's are normal, but 10k on a turbocharged engine is crazy. I don't know a single vw 502 oil that's good for that much mileage.

On a side note, mobil 1 is practically a 5w-40. It does just fine in the heat.
I've been told by my dealer to do OCI at 5k but 119$ each time plus what evey else they find would tax my pocket book to much. But i don't ignor good advice and start doing OCI at 5k DIY to see if i can do it. My local Napa has the Moli 502 8.xx$ and the large container 36$
gavinfla is offline   Reply With Quote