GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2017, 02:26 PM   #1
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 525
Leaking rear main, excessive crankcase pressure!

Hi, I'm in need of a bit of advice, recently my rear main seal sprung a leak (the seal had become un-bonded and was spinning on the crank) it turns out the PCV had failed so both have been replaced, but after approximately 70miles it was apparent that the leak was still there although smaller! So the car went back and it was now leaking from between the crank and seal, a new seal is being fitted (the new PCV is working correctly) and the car will be ready tomorrow, the shop admitted they did not use the fitting sleeve so may have damaged the seal when fitting (they've used the sleeve this time so I'm hoping this will have fixed it) however it has been suggested that even though it has a new PCV there could be excessive crankcase pressure causing the leak, if this is the case (and for those 70 miles I did push it quite hard), what other components could cause excess crankcase pressure??! I've read a few bits about the turbo causing this sometimes but can't find anything specific to the GTI, I'm hoping it is simply seal damage during fitting but would like to try and get a head start if it still leaks, thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:06 PM   #2
nick5
Newbie
 
Drives: '10 GTI
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3
F
nick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:08 AM   #3
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 525
The new seal is on and it's still leaking!! What could be causing this??, I'm at a complete loss as to why it's still there, HELP!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
Don®
Oval Champion
 
Don®'s Avatar
 
Drives: Golf 2.0 HTA86R|09 A3 TTE480 Qttro
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Somewhere within
Posts: 152
Manual or DSG?
Don® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 525
Leaking rear main, excessive crankcase pressure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don[emoji768
;2549990]Manual or DSG?


Manual transmission.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Carlosfandango; 09-08-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #6
Jerseynoob
Touring Car Champion
 
Drives: 2010 Jetta Wolfsburg
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 249
rear main seal is a shit made part.........if your tuned, the amount of boost can over pressure the engine, which is what made my seal blow out........

I've read various posts about this aftermarket part being the bees knees for a TSI rear main seal https://shop.eurowise.com/product-p/ew5000.htm

Have no personal experience with it.
Jerseynoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #7
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseynoob View Post
rear main seal is a shit made part.........if your tuned, the amount of boost can over pressure the engine, which is what made my seal blow out........

I've read various posts about this aftermarket part being the bees knees for a TSI rear main seal https://shop.eurowise.com/product-p/ew5000.htm

Have no personal experience with it.


Hi, yeah I actually was going to purchase that part last week but they quoted over $100 shipping as I'm in the UK so I decided against it, I'm not tuned but have been wondering if extra pressure in the crankcase caused by the turbo could be the issue (there's no excess pressure at idle apparently), would this be possible with a stock setup? And if so what causes it? The other thing I was thinking was blow by! How would I diagnose these two issues? Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #8
Dans GTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Drives: 2010 MK6
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 527
Have you checked your PVC valve? A failing or bad pvc valve can lead to excess crank pressure, which in turn can cause the rear main to fail.
__________________
2010 MK6 GTI 6MT: APR Stage 2.4 High Output : eBay special downpipe : IE Intake : R8 Coils : BKR7EIX : DWS06 : 034 Dog Bone Mount : 034 Dog Bone Insert : StopTech Brake Pads : SPM CatBack : Sachs ZF Clutch : Diesel Geek Short Shifter : GFB DV + : Clutch Stop :
Dans GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:10 AM   #9
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans GTI View Post
Have you checked your PVC valve? A failing or bad pvc valve can lead to excess crank pressure, which in turn can cause the rear main to fail.


Hi, yes it's a brand new genuine latest revision PCV, it's actually the second new one in 4 months as the previous new one failed taking the rear main with it, VW exchanged the part for the one that's now on the car (fitted last week) the original PCV was replaced to try and address oil burning on overrun which resulted in a whole new head being fitted at a cost of just over £2000GBP about 3 months ago, amongst all the other usual TSI failures such as water pump intake etc, DMF (twice), clutch, 2 x fuel filters radiator, starter motor, battery, subframe bolts, etc etc, I've only owned the car 12 months!! I'm seriously upset by the latest aepisode as it continues to leak and we can't work out why!!! I owned a mk4 R32 for nearly 4 years and it only ever needed new front shocks and a couple of wheel bearings, if I hadn't already spent so much on it I'd get rid but I'm too far in now, really need to get this sorted and hope it's the last issue!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:09 PM   #10
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 525
Does anyone know if the RMS from the latest E888 gen 3 engine will fit my 2010, it looks pretty much identical but the seal looks far more substantial,



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #11
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
Does anyone know if the RMS from the latest E888 gen 3 engine will fit my 2010, it looks pretty much identical but the seal looks far more substantial,



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I'm pretty sure I've worked out why the new seals are leaking! I'll only know for sure though when I talk to the mechanic again, It seams to be because they've used the newest revision seal 06K103171G which is the correct part supplied by VW but both times my mechanic has fitted them in the same way the old seals are fitted and just pushed them onto the crank over the VW tool T20097 which leaves the seal lip pointing away from the engine toward the transmission, whereas the revised version should be fitted with the large seal lip pointing toward the engine block,



Would there be revised fitting method provided by VW for the new seal? As both the Mk6 and Mk7 ELSAWIN show to just push it onto the crank using the special tool and clearly show the old seal but I found the above ELSAWIN for the Passat that clearly shows the newest type seal and gives a much more involved fitting method.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:52 AM   #12
Laimface
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Laimface's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 Candy White GTi 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Isle of Man
Posts: 438
Have you done a boost leak test? I leak tested a friends mk5 GTI and the leak was from the turbo seals themselves. You could hear the air bubbling in the oil from the return line inside the sump. That explained his crank case pressurising like mad in boost.
__________________
No speed limits are the best speed limits
Laimface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:33 AM   #13
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
Have you done a boost leak test? I leak tested a friends mk5 GTI and the leak was from the turbo seals themselves. You could hear the air bubbling in the oil from the return line inside the sump. That explained his crank case pressurising like mad in boost.


Hi, no that hasn't been done but it has been talked about! However having now spoken to the mechanic it is apparent that both new seals were fitted incorrectly allowing the seal lip to point the wrong way causing oil to pass between the seal and crank, fingers crossed it will stop leaking as soon as the seal is correctly installed, this is the first rear main the shop has had to do on an EA888 gen 2 motor so it was a bit of a learning curve as they also didn't have an updated Elsa to follow either which is why he follow the fitting method for the old revision seal, the new revised version (06K103171G) looks much more substantial and has the main seal lip pointing toward the block whereas the old revision seal lip points at the tranny hence the confusion, I hope once the new (third) rear main is on the leaking has gone, which I'm sure now that it will have!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #14
mk6'12gti
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Drives: 2012 4dr Black Gti
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
Hi, no that hasn't been done but it has been talked about! However having now spoken to the mechanic it is apparent that both new seals were fitted incorrectly allowing the seal lip to point the wrong way causing oil to pass between the seal and crank, fingers crossed it will stop leaking as soon as the seal is correctly installed, this is the first rear main the shop has had to do on an EA888 gen 2 motor so it was a bit of a learning curve as they also didn't have an updated Elsa to follow either which is why he follow the fitting method for the old revision seal, the new revised version (06K103171G) looks much more substantial and has the main seal lip pointing toward the block whereas the old revision seal lip points at the tranny hence the confusion, I hope once the new (third) rear main is on the leaking has gone, which I'm sure now that it will have!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you sure it's a gen 2 motor because gen 2 tsi's didn't come in Vw's they were only put in audi's.
__________________
| Apr Ko4 v3.1 | Apr stage 2 Dsg | Do88 Ic | IE intake | Circuitwerks turboback | Ecs street shield | R8 coils | S3 style top | Spulen throttle pipe | BC coils | Uni dv relocate | 034 street density mounts | Hpa 75A puck | P3 Gauge | GFB Dv+ |
mk6'12gti is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.