GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 09-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #1
B6JoeS4
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 12 CSG DSG 4D GTI
Coolant smell but it's not the water pump! Anyone else have this leak?

Over the last few weeks I got that occasional whiff of coolant when the car is hot. Today I decided to poke around and try to figure it out and it looks like I found the culprit. I checked the water pump and radiator and no leaks there, I even have a brand new OEM coolant bottle and cap so I'm pretty sure the system is not over pressurizing causing the leak.

All of the hoses feeding the heater core seem to be leaking at the fitting. I can't find the part number for these hoses anywhere online. Has anyone else had this problem? I searched and it seems like my MK6 is the only one to ever have this.

The car is losing only a few ounces a week so this is a very small leak

83,000 miles on the car

Old 09-08-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
sauceman101
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 UG GTI 6MT
Replaced the top one when I broke the nipple off to the smaller line on the hard plastic connection. IIRC the part only comes as the hose with the connection to the heater core. Don't recall part number, ordered it over the phone through a local dealer so I'm sure I don't have the receipt either. Never touched the lower. You should be able to find the part number be looking through any exploded parts view of either the heating and cooling system for the car or the motors cooling system. Don't recall which these were in
2010 UG GTI 6MT: Peloquin LSD, APR Stage 1, DIY RSR Clutch, VWR Streetsport+ Coils, IE Camber Plates, 034M Front End Links, Hotchkis RSB, APR Stage 1+2 Carbino Intake, HPA Red Subframe Puck, Enkei PF01s wrapped w/ Star Spec 2s, AWE DP, [i] Magnaflow CBE, BIG things coming if you catch the drift
sauceman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
Carlosfandango

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Just had that top fitting replaced on my car, P/N 1K0122291C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
PRGTI
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: Red 2012 GTI Sunroof 4Doors
Hey guys, just got this same leak. Is it a DYI job?? The part is very inexpensive.
PRGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:13 PM   #5
Carlosfandango

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRGTI View Post
Hey guys, just got this same leak. Is it a DYI job?? The part is very inexpensive.

It looks like it just pushes on from the engine bay side so I would think it would be pretty easy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:43 PM   #6
PRGTI
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: Red 2012 GTI Sunroof 4Doors
Update: it is a very simple process just be careful not to break anything due to the limited space.
PRGTI is offline   Reply With Quote