GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf 2.5L Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 09-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #1
Nine7NinePhoto
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2012 Golf 2.5L
Weird rpm problem!

Hello, sometimes at idle my rpm's drop down between 400 and 450 rpm then engine starts to idle really ruff or the rpm's jump to 1000 and fluctuate between 1000 and 1200rpm (again at idle). But if I turn the engine off and on it goes away. It happens intermittently so its hard to show the VW. I was wondering if anyone has seen or experienced these problems before.

Thanks for the help!
Ryan
Nine7NinePhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #2
JKoehle
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
something something maf sensor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JKoehle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:47 PM   #3
FlowMK6
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: Golf 2.5 5spd
It could be a failing PCV valve, Dorman sell a repair kit : http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-5469...20%282480cc%29

Do you have a check engine ?
FlowMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:24 PM   #4
Nine7NinePhoto
Passed Driver's Ed

I dont have a check engine and when it does the weird rpm fluctuation it doesn't come on. Last time i took the car to vw they changed the valve cover and one ignition coil. From what I have read could it be a bad/going bad camshaft positioning sensor?
Old 09-16-2017, 01:38 PM   #5
MLue1
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine7NinePhoto View Post
I dont have a check engine and when it does the weird rpm fluctuation it doesn't come on. Last time i took the car to vw they changed the valve cover and one ignition coil. From what I have read could it be a bad/going bad camshaft positioning sensor?
The fact that VW changed these parts is inline with what FlowMK6 is thinking as the PCV is in the valve cover. It maybe something fundamental like the ignition coils or spark plugs thats why there are no code(s). I think you should simply clean your throttle body barrel and the butterfly before you get too deep into changing parts.

PS. While you're cleaning the throttle body you can loosen 1 screw and clean the MAP sensor (right next/below the throttle body) ... and make sure the intake manifold bolts are tight and not loose, these are all in pretty much the same location.

Last edited by MLue1; 09-16-2017 at 01:47 PM. Reason: + comment
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:14 PM   #6
FlowMK6
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: Golf 2.5 5spd
If you want to see if it's not the PCV valve again, you can try to remove the engine oil cap, if it's hard to remove due to some vacuum, then it's probably related to the PCV valve
FlowMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
Nine7NinePhoto
Passed Driver's Ed

I took my car to vw before my warranty expired and they changed the camshaft position sensor or the solenoid cant remember what they said. But at the moment it is running a lot smoother.

Thanks for the help.