GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pretty sure I fried my Computer today

Avenger8692

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok everyone I'm posting to see if someone can't help me before I take it to the dealership tomorrow and give me something I can try. Ok so this past week I got vcds and was messing with it this afternoon before work. I had my car on but not cranked so it ended up running the battery down. It was about 5:45pm and I had to be at work 7pm so I was rushing to get it finished and since I had been playing with vcds I thought I may have messed up something to only find a dead battery. But here is why I think I screwed up I was in such a rush to finish that I ended up putting the wrong battery jumper cables on the wrong terminals and I yanked them off when it threw sparks and my radiator fans came on. I got back in and connected vcds and clicked on engine and it kept on telling me it couldn't find it. I could click on everything else in vcds and it would find it but not the engine. Just kind of nervous because I have a feeling I'm about to spend about 1500 on that it I was saving for a k04 kit. I do not think it has anything to do with vcds because all I was doing was adding to where it would roll down with my keyfob and the gauge sweep and clearing the codes for my led tail lights. My car is a 2011 Gti with intake, downpipe, exhaust, and blow off valve and no aftermarket tune if you need to know anything about it

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
If you were in Canada, I would love to help you out, this stuff is my new hobby!

TRY: Disconnecting the battery leads from the battery and touch them together for 30 seconds. Reconnect the leads to the battery and try to start.

*******************************************************************************************************

I think the ECU maybe OK, but the file got messed up from the low voltage, some of it prolly got erased so the CheckSum is not correct, hence the ECU will NOT start the engine because of this. The the normal process of the ECU is to recalculate some CheckSums every startup and compare the values to the one stored in the ECU. If they do not match the stored CheckSums it assumes data has been corrupted and will crank over but will not allow the engine to start to prevent possible damage.

Your choice, you can take it to the VW Dealer or Remove the ECU from the car, take it to a Malone Tune Dealer (no affiliation) as they can use a bench tool to read the ECU on the bench, this is the only way to get a complete ECU read, OBD is only a partial read.
As an option, if the CheckSum is the cause, they can probably bench flash your original ECU or a replacement ECU, with a GTI Stage 1 or 2 Tune from their database.

Worst case, if the ECU is electrically damaged, you would have to buy a replacement ECU from a GTI from a dismantler or someone parting out a GTI, with this Hurricane Irma there will be a few available from Florida, don't worry the ECU is sealed against water, so cleaning the contacts is all that's required.

If the file is damaged PM a pic of your ECU part number and I will try and download an original file if one is available and I'll send it to you. The Tuner may have to do IMMO delete to disable the Immobilizer section of the file, the VW Dealer will charge $$ to do this as well, in addition to the other work.
Good Luck !

Last edited:

11gti718

Ready to race!
Check all the fuses and relays before taking it to the dealer. Could be a simple blown fuse/relay.

Avenger8692

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok I was in such a panic that I did not do that. I'll check when I get home in the morning. Any in particular that I should look at that you know of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11gti718

Ready to race!
Ok I was in such a panic that I did not do that. I'll check when I get home in the morning. Any in particular that I should look at that you know of?

Wont be able to give you a specific fuse to look for. But thats what fuses are used for. To protect the circuits in case of an electrical shortage. That's pretty much what happened when the sparks started flying. You shorted out a circuit. Which one ? who knows. I would say check all fuses and pray the fuse did its job and protected your system. Thats my thoughts. Sorry can't think of snything else. Hope things work out. Post up with updates whenevrr it gets fixed.

Avenger8692

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you Mlue1 I'll definitely look into it and see if I can't find a cheaper option because I know they are not cheap at the dealership. I'll be able to get more info once I get off in 6 hours and look at it a little more

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Have you started the car yet?

Avenger8692

Passed Driver's Ed
It would not start when I left the house. I haven't been able to mess with it because I've been at work but I'll be off in a hour or so and I'll look at it some. All it would do is turn over but never attempt to crank

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Either charge the battery then start it or use jump leads again, the battery is too low at the moment, when I first had VCDS I did the same thing ( ran the battery down that is ) and the car does all sorts of weird things until the voltage is back where it should be, mine took a few attempts until it finally started, I'm sure it's fine!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I bought a new battery yesterday so that's not the problem

As mentioned then check all the fuses, engine bay and dash panel, It may start though if you try a few more times, is the battery the right way round!! [emoji23]LOL.

Avenger8692

Passed Driver's Ed
Oh I plan on it when I get home lol yes it is it turns over just doesn't crank. I'll be looking at it shortly