GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Kinugawa Turbo

chinovegas1

I am considering purchasing a Kinugawa turbo and wasn't able to find much in my research other than they are built in Taiwan. Does anyone have any experience with Kinugawa Turbos or the company in general?

BlueE30

Ready to race!
I do not. That being said, on my e30 forums, a well known guy for putting together turbo kits for e30's uses these turbo's in his more budget friendly kits. Haven't heard of complaints.

Usually recommend staying away from Chinese crap especially something as important as the turbo and wouldn't shell out decent money for one of those especially when there's so many better options on the market. Save up a bit and buy a well known brand turbo.

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
I essentially have a Kinugawa and so far it has been good. It is not cheap junk like T says. Kinugawa makes great turbos, and have for sometime. The problem is people getting fake Kinugawas on ebay and thinking they are real. They now ship their turbos with an Anti-Counterfeit Tag to ensure you are getting a genuine product.

http://www.kinugawaturbosystems.com/america/instruction-of-anti-counterfeit-tag/

Having said all of that, not many people use Kinugawa on VW's. If you don't want to run into potential problems, I would do as T advised and go with a k04.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I believe 1 of the hybrid k04 companies I was looking into uses the Kinugawa turbos. If I remember correctly, a lot of the evo's and Japanese cars use this turbo manufacturer. I think either DBV2 or Beach Buggy Turbo uses that manufacturer. I've heard good things about Kinugawa, just don't see them often in the VW scene.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
never heard of them before.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
I don't even see 1 vw turbo on their website.

Laimface

Ready to race!
Whyyy do people cheap out on stuff like this. You paid over 10k for the car then you cheap out on a few hundred and risk doing more harm than good. I just spent 3x the value of my drift car on good suspension and various lock mods because I know I won't ever have to touch it again!

chinovegas1

Upon further research, it appears the Kinugawa is a part of Kamak which is the OEM supplier of the IHI turbos which came factory on many GTIs. According to their website they simply upgrade the IHI version of the OEM turbo from the MK6 GTIs with bigger turbine and compressor wheels to meet the specs of a RHF5H.

http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/u...rhf5hvwgolfgticcsciroccojettaaudia3300hp.aspx

Compressor wheel 43.3/56
Turbine wheel 40/53

They claim it will support 290-330HP and it is direct bolt on with no mods needed. I am in no hurry to purchase and will perform some more research before purchasing, but I am leaning towards the Kinugawa. Who knows, I may just go with a Garrett GTX big turbo and try and work through all of the mods needed.

FriggenT1

Banned
Upon further research, it appears the Kinugawa is a part of Kamak which is the OEM supplier of the IHI turbos which came factory on many GTIs. According to their website they simply upgrade the IHI version of the OEM turbo from the MK6 GTIs with bigger turbine and compressor wheels to meet the specs of a RHF5H.

http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/u...rhf5hvwgolfgticcsciroccojettaaudia3300hp.aspx

Compressor wheel 43.3/56
Turbine wheel 40/53

They claim it will support 290-330HP and it is direct bolt on with no mods needed. I am in no hurry to purchase and will perform some more research before purchasing, but I am leaning towards the Kinugawa. Who knows, I may just go with a Garrett GTX big turbo and try and work through all of the mods needed.

You'd honestly be better to buy a used k04, send it out tyo be rebuilt by a reputable company and have a reliable turbo on the car. Midwestturboconnection.com does a lot of rebuilds on all kinds of turbos, but a fully rebuilt turbo is 300.00 and for 30.00 you can get the wheel clipped to get the EGTs down more. I'd go that route unless you just bought a kit from CTS for 1650.00 or so.

UberFast

Ready to race!
You'd be an idiot to buy that for the same price you can get a legit k04. Not to mention they're claiming the same HP as a k04, so why get the knockoff and risk reliability? Atleast frankenturbo claims more HP than a k04 [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
There are a lot of hybrid K04/IHI turbos out there that will net you power in the range of 370-420whp. Should look into those and tune to stay around 380whp on stock internals. I believe there is 1 company out there that uses Kinugawa turbos but I forget which (and don't want to assume a company and name the wrong one).

Your best bet is to look them up on facebook and direct message them or call them as their turbos aren't really listed on their websites yet. But the companies are:
Beach Buggy Turbo out of the UK
DBV2 out of Canada
TTE out of Germany
Mabotech out of the Dominican Republic

Prices for these turbo kits range from 1700 to around 2300/2400 and are all bolt on kits like the K04. You would need to get a custom tune though.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
There are a lot of hybrid K04/IHI turbos out there that will net you power in the range of 370-420whp. Should look into those and tune to stay around 380whp on stock internals. I believe there is 1 company out there that uses Kinugawa turbos but I forget which (and don't want to assume a company and name the wrong one).

Your best bet is to look them up on facebook and direct message them or call them as their turbos aren't really listed on their websites yet. But the companies are:
Beach Buggy Turbo out of the UK
DBV2 out of Canada
TTE out of Germany
Mabotech out of the Dominican Republic

Prices for these turbo kits range from 1700 to around 2300/2400 and are all bolt on kits like the K04. You would need to get a custom tune though.

Mabotech uses mamba turbos x owner of kinugawa