GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 05-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #1
Arin@APR
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Drives: B8 S4 & MK5 GTI
APR Presents the MK6 Oil Catch Can System

APR Oil Catch Can for the MK6 Golf / GTI and Jetta / GLI!

[ Link removed per forum rules ]

The APR Oil Catch Can System traps excessive crankcase oil vapors and gunk from entering the engine. The system eliminates a possible performance robbing boost leak, while reducing carbon buildup on intake valves, octane lowering oil vapors and oil pooling within the intake tract. Itís a simple modification to install, drains in seconds with the flick of a knob, and is recommended at all stages of performance.

Quick Facts
  • Increases performance - Increases performance by eliminating a common boost leak, and reducing octane lowering oil vapors and airflow restricting carbon buildup.
  • Eliminates a boost leak - Bypassing the PCV eliminates a possible failure point.
  • Catches oil and gunk - Oil and gunk pools in the can, not in the intercooler piping.
  • Easy to drain - A simple knob allows the system to drain in seconds without any tools.
  • Easy to install - Installs in minutes. The hoses pop right on without tools thanks to the OEM Norma fittings.
  • Easy to maintain - Yearly maintenance is a snap thanks to the two-piece billet design.
  • High-quality hoses - Resist oil degradation, kinks, abrasion, and blockage from freezing, with an OEM look.
  • High-quality can and bracket - Strong, clean and attractive billet-aluminum and stainless steel parts look right at home in the engine bay.

The Problems

An engine produces extreme pressures within its cylinders during operation and some ultimately slips by the piston rings and pressurizes the engineís crankcase. This is exacerbated when increasing horsepower and driving harder. To relieve the pressure, the engine uses a failure prone PCV system that dumps the pressure, along with oil vapors, back into the intake tract to be consumed by the engine. Unfortunately, this results in the following performance robbing scenarios:

• Oil vapors mix with the air/fuel mixture, which reduces octane and hurts performance.
  • Carbon builds up on the back of intake valves, which reduces airflow and hurts performance.
  • Messy oil pools in the intake tract and coats the intercooler, leading to hose degradation, and reduced IC effectiveness.
  • The factory PCV system can fail, creating a massive boost leak that directly pressurizes the crankcase.

The Solution

The APR Oil Catch Can System eliminates boost pressure from seeing the front PCV port. The system routes crankcase gasses through the APR catch can, which filters oil vapors through a track-proven four-staged baffling system. The vapors pool in the bottom of the can, while the rest of the pressure is diverted back to the intake tract where itís burned off by the engine.

The result is simple:
  • A cleaner engine
  • Better performance
  • Elimination of a common failure point

System Overview

REQUIREMENT NOTES: The manifold PCV port must be blocked off to use this product. This can be accomplished with the APR boost tap. Also, the system is only designed for use without the factory engine cover installed.

Application Guide

MS100121 - MK6 Golf / GTI - 1.8 / 2.0 TSI (EA888 Gen 1) - [ price removed per forum rules ]
MS100122 - MK6 Jetta / GLI - 1.8 / 2.0 TSI (EA888 Gen 1) - [ price removed per forum rules ]

[ Link removed per forum rules ]
Arin@APR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
Sspcivic31
FIA GT Champion

Drives: APR Ko4'd 2010 CSG 4dr GTI
Item link on the website has a "porting error". Says increases perforamnce in one of the red banners.
136.61mph Wannagofast Horseshoe Bay 1/2 mile
138.03mph Wannagofast Sulphur Springs 1/2 mile
Sspcivic31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:15 PM   #3
Arin@APR
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Yikes. Thanks for catching that typo.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:23 PM   #4
DarianBx3
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 MK6 GTI DSG
Glad to see APR is still invested in MK6!

Last edited by DarianBx3; 05-24-2016 at 10:20 PM.
DarianBx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:56 PM   #5
Arin@APR
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

We still have more on the way.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:01 PM   #6
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
I like the mounting location on this vs others that mount to the oem motor mount and don't work well if you have aftermarket mounts.
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:41 PM   #7
Arin@APR
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Thank you! Plus, in this location, it's easier to get to the drain.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:52 PM   #8
jackhossross
Oval Champion

Drives: VW Golf R '13 2D Rising Blue
APR Presents the MK6 Oil Catch Can System

Hi Arin or mods - my comment was deleted, why was that?

I'm not upset, in the future I will try to avoid commenting something inappropriate on a product launch thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jackhossross; 05-24-2016 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Grammar
jackhossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:56 PM   #9
TesseracT
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: Shadow Blue Mk6 GTI
Hi Arin,

With this kit, what happens with the OEM PCV Breather Hose (06J103213D) ? There's no mention of it at all on the APR website.
TesseracT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:02 PM   #10
jay745
Mod Flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhossross View Post
Hi Arin or mods - my comment was deleted, why was that?

I'm not upset, in the future I will try to avoid commenting something inappropriate on a product launch thread.

Mods can still see deleted posts and there are none on this thread. My guess is your comment probably didn't go through. It's probably best that way considering you said yourself that it was inappropriate. Take it to the off topic lounge where that sort of thing goes appreciated. I'm sure APR would appreciate this kept to serious talk about the catch can only.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:11 PM   #11
jackhossross
Oval Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
Mods can still see deleted posts and there are none on this thread. My guess is your comment probably didn't go through. It's probably best that way considering you said yourself that it was inappropriate. Take it to the off topic lounge where that sort of thing goes appreciated. I'm sure APR would appreciate this kept to serious talk about the catch can only.

It was not inappropriate, I was more or less requesting why it was deemed inappropriate.

Regardless, it looks like it simply didn't go through - appreciate your reply.

I asked what makes this catch can different than other catch cans already on the market for the MKVI and why the price was on the higher end - also that I am new to the platform.

Thanks for helping!

Old 05-24-2016, 08:28 PM   #12
jay745
Mod Flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhossross View Post
It was not inappropriate, I was more or less requesting why it was deemed inappropriate.

Regardless, it looks like it simply didn't go through - appreciate your reply.

I asked what makes this catch can different than other catch cans already on the market for the MKVI and why the price was on the higher end - also that I am new to the platform.

Thanks for helping!

Ah ok that's a legit question. I'm sure Arin can answer better than I can. It's a different design, apr retains the oem pcv where others replace the valve cover.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:14 PM   #13
mr wrong
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2017 Golf Alltrack
I'm surprised they're peddling the 'reduced carbon buildup' narrative that was debunked ages ago...???....
Old 05-24-2016, 10:15 PM   #14
jackhossross
Oval Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
Ah ok that's a legit question. I'm sure Arin can answer better than I can. It's a different design, apr retains the oem pcv where others replace the valve cover.

I was thinking the mention of other brands or pricing could be against the rules!???!

Idk - I'm not very forum savvy.