GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering Column Unlock to Dolly Tow

John_R_C

I thought my 2107 GTI didn't have a steering column lock; however, I was wrong :(. I need to have it unlocked to dolly tow behind my class C RV. I tried leaving the ignition on and ran into various error codes as well as the constant beeping.

Can the column lock be always unlocked via scan tool or by removing a relay or by removing something in the column to effect this? Any help is appreciated :cool:

Thanks,

John C

zrickety

The Fixer
You'll need the key in...I'm not sure there is a way around that. I would disconnect the battery and reconnect it when you get to your destination. There will be initial error lights that should go out when you drive the car.

John_R_C

I should have been clearer. My GTI is a MK VII with the push button start, thus no key. I've already got the dolly as I saw a New Beetle being towed that way, but I don't know the year. If I had a key setup, I could leave in the accessory position to unlock the column (maybe?). Cutting off the pin may be the most efficient solution.

Anyone else care to chime in?

John C

relic1

Passed Driver's Ed

best advice from that thread.... "It might have been easier just to add a 12V charge line than to mess with your ignition/steering lock."

I have a manual key so I do not know for sure, but on other manufacturers simply pressing the start/stop button without pressing the brake gets you into what I would call an accessory mode (I know that part works on VW), it also unlocks the wheel. (I do not now if it unlocks the wheel for VW, it does on the two keyless cars I have access to)

If your thinking about cutting off the pin, why not wire in a switch to the solenoid so you can manually operate it in parallel to the standard operation. Yes it will set a code, but clear the codes when you get there, much less invasive that cutting it off IMO.

Last edited:

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
You have asked and we've responded. Lots of choices, some will cost money some will have you clearly mess with the components of the car or you can just press the start button leave keys in, crack a window just in case it does lock or vag com that feature out and get rolling...

Whatcha gonna do??

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
2107? i must see this futuristic car!