GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 10-01-2017, 07:40 PM   #15
webbry4
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn IE Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddemon69 View Post
How is the 7 in terms of lag and response since the turbo is mated straight to the block?

With the new 6 year warranty on the 2018 models I might jump to an R but Iím looking for something faster than my Mk6 APR KO4. Donít know if a full bolt on R can take me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet stage 2 R will take you over your current k04 kit

webbry4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #16
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfs CSG 4DR MT
Was contemplating it after seeing them hooked up. They seriously look good lowered and with a wing extender. Honestly though, with the amount of $$$ dumped in the 6 and like a year left until paying it off, I don't want to start all over again. I also have had so much issues since modding this car, I'm not sure I'd want another VW that I know modding brings the problems. It's like, fix one thing, another thing breaks and it never ends.

With that said, not having a car payment will make me a lot more happy even when I have to dish out to fix ANOTHER broken thing that I probably caused due to modding.

With that aside, I'm not a fan of the 7 interior so much or the stock exterior look. It has never really caught my attention. Hoping the MK8 brings back a solid eye catching look. Hell, the MK7 R has to be the most boring looking performance car you can buy near 40k.

Don't believe me? Just look at this video that plays on the webpage of it tracking. http://www.vw.com/models/golf-r/
Internal : APR Fully loaded Stage 2 tune - Soundaktor Delete - Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter - R8 Coils - ECS Dogbone Mount Insert - GFB DV+ - NGP Type I Coilovers - KMD Tuning Front Stress Bar - WhiteLine Endlinks - IE CAI - EuroJet DP - Magna Flow Exhaust
External : H8 Pure Yellow Fog Bulbs - 20% All Around Tints - ECS JOM Euro Style Badgeless Grille - Splash Guards (-5hp )
SnailPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:06 PM   #17
Lost@Sea
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: Variety of Vws
Went from a MK6 K04 GTI to a stage 2 MK7 R. My only regret is not doing it sooner.
Lost@Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:31 PM   #18
Speeddemon69
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 MK6 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbry4 View Post
I bet stage 2 R will take you over your current k04 kit

I sure hope so..... they got more power terrain loss and I raced a modded mk6 R and got him and the time slips they post donít intimidate me either based on trap speed. I know from 0-60 Iíd get murdered but from a roll itís a different story.

Speeddemon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:27 AM   #19
webbry4
Oval Newbie

anyone ever move up to a MK7?

Quote:
I sure hope so..... they got more power terrain loss and I raced a modded mk6 R and got him and the time slips they post donít intimidate me either based on trap speed. I know from 0-60 Iíd get murdered but from a roll itís a different story.

Mk6 r compared to the mk7 r the mk7 requires a lot less money and effort to get big numbers and from the sounds of it be a lot more reliable and to me even if a stage 2 mk7 r somehow loses to a k04 gti id still take the r for many things starting with awd. That being said for aesthetic reasons the mk6 is still a personal favorites and couldn't care less about power hence why I still drive my mk6 gti

Old 10-02-2017, 03:40 AM   #20
Speeddemon69
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 MK6 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbry4 View Post
Mk6 r compared to the mk7 r the mk7 requires a lot less money and effort to get big numbers and from the sounds of it be a lot more reliable and to me even if a stage 2 mk7 r somehow loses to a k04 gti id still take the r for many things starting with awd. That being said for aesthetic reasons the mk6 is still a personal favorites and couldn't care less about power hence why I still drive my mk6 gti

more money upfront though for the R lol, and as far as reliable i sure hope so, i was hearing about turbos being blown issues. but if i get one it'll be with the 6 year warranty.

but yes the AWD is one of the reasons i'm thinking of switching, its either the R or the RS3 id like the TT RS but thats even more expensive so ill pass on that lol

imagine if they had a golf RS with the I5 from the RS3! that would be the perfect golf! for me at least
Speeddemon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:31 PM   #21
webbry4
Oval Newbie

Quote:
more money upfront though for the R lol, and as far as reliable i sure hope so, i was hearing about turbos being blown issues. but if i get one it'll be with the 6 year warranty.

but yes the AWD is one of the reasons i'm thinking of switching, its either the R or the RS3 id like the TT RS but thats even more expensive so ill pass on that lol

imagine if they had a golf RS with the I5 from the RS3! that would be the perfect golf! for me at least
Most people would agree with you lol.

Last edited by webbry4; 10-02-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:07 AM   #22
t'sGTI
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 R
MK7 is a nice car but in my opinion the
MK6 is better looking with a better stance.
t'sGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:42 PM   #23
aj_law
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 Tornado Red 4DR 6MT GTI
Personally, not a fan of the lines on the mark 7. When my mark 6 reaches the end of its life, I'll probably bounce into another low mileage, used mark 6 GTI or R...or maybe a used S3 or S4.
('12 4DR/TR/6MT GTI - MEMBER OF THE 120K+ MILE CLUB) WISHLIST (bolded done...lol): Performance - Unitronic Stage 1 & CAI // Unibrace UB // DG springs // H&R 26FSB/22RSB // Tyrolsport Subframe Kit ||| Cosmetic - OZ Leggera HLT // Color matched markers/lip // Black emblems/grille stripes // OEM R Tinted LED tails // Raceseng Ashiko shift knob // 30% tint // Soundaktor delete
aj_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:31 PM   #24
zrickety
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 130k+
I think the 6 is better, but I've also been looking at a used S4 or S5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:36 PM   #25
Jcarollo765
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
Know plenty of traitors
Current Mods: APR K04 V3.2 & TCU V1.6//42DD DP//Unitronic Intake//H&R 26/24 Sways//Unibrace XB//SuperPro ALK//BSH Engine & Pendulum Mount//HPA 75a//Do88 Intercooler//H&R Cup Kit//Evo Boost Gauge//Soumatrix Speakers//BFI Stage 2 Tran Mount//GFB DV+//H&R 10/10 Spacers//Tyrol Brake Kit & Pads//Corgi Hair
Jcarollo765 is offline   Reply With Quote