GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 10-03-2017, 01:50 PM   #15
hack-man162
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2010 VW GTI
DansGTI, your thoughts are the same as mine. I am going to go ahead a get a diagnosis. If it's the turbo, it looks like I can get a used one for $2-300, and a rebuild for about $350. Then I don't have any down time while mine is being rebuilt. I may add a Stage I tune then as well.
Does anyone have a recommend on who I might use for a rebuild?
hack-man162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:02 AM   #16
alecglessner

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hack-man162 View Post
First of all I apologize in advance. This post may go all over the place...

2010 DSG, all stock, 94K miles.

I've been getting an P0299 code for a while. If I drive mellow and don't get into the boost, it eventually goes away. Or if I clear it, and drive mellow, the CEL stays off. My DV has already been replaced and is the plunger type. I got under the car this weekend to have a look, and verify the DV hasn't come loose. That was all good. Also, checked various plumbing for any bad connections, and all looks good.

I had called the dealer awhile back and asked them about smoke testing, and the service advisor told me "100%, the turbo is bad". So I stopped by a local indy and he said with my mileage (94K miles) that the turbo is probably bad. But reading the forums, I get the feeling that may not be true. I don't drive my car hard very often, and perform oil changes around 7500 miles with Liquimoly and OEM filters.

When I was looking at the DV, I did notice an oil film coming from above it. I couldn't quite see the source, but it is near the turbo. My oil level has never fluctuated though, and there was not enough to cause any drips in the garage. I have heard that when these turbos do go bad, it is the wastegate area? Could that be where the leak is coming from, and indeed the turbo is bad? I couldn't see the waste gate mechanism, so hard to tell.

Lastly, if the turbo is bad, what route should I take? The K04 is intriguing, but do to life changes, I may be tracking this car soon, and I have read (in the Track forum) that stock, or stage 1 might be better for that. It's looks like it's $1600-ish for a new K03 and install, versus close to double that going K04. Opinions?

thanks!

One last thing, if anyone has a solid recommend for a shop in Austin area, please let me know.
You might have to look through the whole turbo assembly and see if a hose came loose like mine did

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
alecglessner is offline   Reply With Quote