GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2017, 10:55 PM   #1
jrm_gti
Newbie
 
Drives: 2009 GTI
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 2
Misfiring Only When Hot & at Idle

09 Tsi Gti, 118k. Car starts up and runs fine for a while, but like clockwork when nearing 40 minutes of driving and coming to a stop or fully stopped, I get a flashing CEL. RPMs drop a bit then go back up as well, Obdeleven shows misfire all cylinders and always misfire on cylinder 1&4.

Its weird, as long as my commute is under 40 minutes, I get no misfiring at all. Car runs great under any kind of throttle. Replaced spark plugs and pcv. I do plan on replacing coils and have a valve cleaning done.

Any help, or insight is appreciated.

Last edited by jrm_gti; 10-04-2017 at 12:49 AM.
jrm_gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:32 AM   #2
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 515
I wouldnít focus on the 40 minute part! Try moving the coils around and see if the consistent 1 and 4 move to 2 and 3, you should in this situation change the coils especially if the consistent fault moves when you swap them around but Iíd say itís most likely carbon build up though or possibly injectors but less likely.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:49 AM   #3
mataempat
Go Kart Champion
 
Drives: Golf Mk6 1.4 TSI 160
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 40
Maybe of some help or not. I have a different engine that yours. It's a 1.4 TSI CAVD. I've had the same exact issue for the past year or so. Albeit only on Cylinder 1.

Carbon cleaning with walnut blasting solved the issue.
mataempat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:32 AM   #4
indosilver
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: 2012 GTI
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Lawrence, KS
Posts: 11
Coils are about $100 for a set, i would just get a fresh set of coils and a fresh set of plugs. it's the cheapest option anyways and most likely the cause of your issues
indosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:43 AM   #5
Stock-GTI
Go Kart Champion
 
Drives: 2013 MK6 GTI
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: DFW
Posts: 38
HsTuning sells the coilpacks and spark plugs bundled. 94.99 for a set Red tops by themselves if I remember correctly.
Stock-GTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:07 AM   #6
jrm_gti
Newbie
 
Drives: 2009 GTI
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 2
I did try swapping coils around and still get the same result. But I will throw in some new ones anyway.

Mataempat, I am thinking this is my problem. Car has 118k and I'm not sure if a carbon cleaning was ever done by the previous owners .

Car still has the original intake manifold too, not the updated one. Prob going to have to replace it , and see how those injectors are holding up as well.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll try to keep this updated.
jrm_gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #7
FriggenT
Formula 5000 Champion
 
Drives: 2013 Wolfsburg gti DSG
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm_gti View Post
I did try swapping coils around and still get the same result. But I will throw in some new ones anyway.

Mataempat, I am thinking this is my problem. Car has 118k and I'm not sure if a carbon cleaning was ever done by the previous owners .

Car still has the original intake manifold too, not the updated one. Prob going to have to replace it , and see how those injectors are holding up as well.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll try to keep this updated.
I'd try something simple like the gumout valve cleaner spray. Use it through the temp sensor hole, if you can tell any difference at all, that's likely your issue
FriggenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:51 AM   #8
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriggenT View Post
I'd try something simple like the gumout valve cleaner spray. Use it through the temp sensor hole, if you can tell any difference at all, that's likely your issue


I agree with this^

Iíve used a similar product in the past

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l...saAhJaEALw_wcB

It did a good job but a proper carbon clean is the only real answer!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #9
FriggenT
Formula 5000 Champion
 
Drives: 2013 Wolfsburg gti DSG
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
I agree with this^

Iíve used a similar product in the past

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l...saAhJaEALw_wcB

It did a good job but a proper carbon clean is the only real answer!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmmm, how did that stuff work? Not familiar with that brand in the U.S. obviously
FriggenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #10
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriggenT View Post
Hmmm, how did that stuff work? Not familiar with that brand in the U.S. obviously


I guessed you wouldnít recognise the brand,

It actually worked better than I thought it would!

Hereís some info from their website,
https://www.wynns.uk.com/wp-content/...eaner_EN-2.pdf


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #11
FriggenT
Formula 5000 Champion
 
Drives: 2013 Wolfsburg gti DSG
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
I guessed you wouldn’t recognise the brand,

It actually worked better than I thought it would!

Here’s some info from their website,
https://www.wynns.uk.com/wp-content/...eaner_EN-2.pdf


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excellent, check this out...notice the carbon that comes out and he also has borescope pics https://youtu.be/hHF-Jdw0eto
FriggenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #12
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriggenT View Post
Excellent, check this out...notice the carbon that comes out and he also has borescope pics https://youtu.be/hHF-Jdw0eto


When I used the wynns product I got a lot of carbon out of the exhaust (far more than in the video) and it ran much much better once I was done, for unrelated issues Iíve since then had a new head and inlet manifold and PCV so I should be good for a while but I intend to use the cleaner again soon as a preventative measure, like he says in the video if itís done on a regular basis there should never be any large build ups and a full clean will not be necessary, Iíve only used the wynns stuff though so canít really make a judgment on other products.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:31 PM   #13
FriggenT
Formula 5000 Champion
 
Drives: 2013 Wolfsburg gti DSG
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
When I used the wynns product I got a lot of carbon out of the exhaust (far more than in the video) and it ran much much better once I was done, for unrelated issues Iíve since then had a new head and inlet manifold and PCV so I should be good for a while but I intend to use the cleaner again soon as a preventative measure, like he says in the video if itís done on a regular basis there should never be any large build ups and a full clean will not be necessary, Iíve only used the wynns stuff though so canít really make a judgment on other products.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll have to look for it in the U.S. and give it a try
FriggenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #14
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriggenT View Post
I'll have to look for it in the U.S. and give it a try

http://www.wynnsusa.com/



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.