GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2017, 09:58 PM   #1
markus037
Oval Champion
 
Drives: 2011 GTI 4dr DSG
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pottstown, PA
Posts: 160
anyone ever move up to a MK7?

thinking about making the switch. wondering what the common issues are. there doesnt seem to be a whole lot out there since the car came out 2 years ago.
markus037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:38 PM   #2
brobst
Formula 5000 Champion
 
brobst's Avatar
 
Drives: CSG mk6 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,014
Go to golfmk7.com
They will tell you everything

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
__________________
K04 P&P | 325whp/325wtq | Beyond Superior Interior | Brobst's Build | Data logs
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGTI View Post
Superior interior is like 500hp at the wheels doe
brobst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:40 AM   #3
Boscogn
FIA GT Champion
 
Boscogn's Avatar
 
Drives: CSG 2013 GTI DSG 4DR
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus037 View Post
thinking about making the switch. wondering what the common issues are. there doesnt seem to be a whole lot out there since the car came out 2 years ago.
It's alot more reliable surprisingly even though production was moved to Mexico. Source: neighbor has '15 mk7 GTI with 60k miles and hasn't had a single issue. By 60k my '13 GTI had a water pump and O2 sensor replaced and had part revisions up the ass.

I'm excited about no car payment next year. So I'll be keeping my gti till wheels fall off.

Some things I like about the mk7 are the backup camera, Android Auto (not available in '15 models) and LSD in performance models.

Just be sure you're doing the math and it makes sense to change for u.

Edit: once my mk6 dies hopefully not before a few years of solid no car payments. I'll prolly move into a low mileage í18 mk7 that's a couple years old. Not going to buy new again.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
__________________
Wish List: Golf R InterCooler | Unitronic or IE CAI | P3 Air Vent Boost Gauge | 034 Motorsports RSB
NOTE: Please PM me if you are selling anything in my wishlist! Also check out my Build Thread!
Boscogn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:39 PM   #4
Rickr71
Newbie
 
Drives: 2013 GTI 2 door
Join Date: May 2017
Location: East bay
Posts: 1
I was going to buy the 2017 MK7 GTi sport because it had the sports package which is limited slip diff, bigger brakes and 220 HP, but: no 2 door models are made any longer and the head room on MK7 is an inch shorter. Im taller and i liked the room of the MK6 2 door so i just bought another 2013 model with 22k miles and sold my 135k one.
Rickr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:45 PM   #5
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Driver
 
sterkrazzy's Avatar
 
Drives: mk6 gti
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 1,955
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/12/volk...customers.html
__________________
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:07 PM   #6
ChrisB
FIA GT Champion
 
ChrisB's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 MKVI Driver's Ed German Fit
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,156
IDK if I will purchase another VW. If I do, the Golf R is the only thing they have that I actually want.
__________________
Unitronic: Stage 2 ECU, Stage 2 DSG, TBE
Other: Enkei PF01 17X8 ET50s with Pilot Super Sports; R8 coils; NGK BKR7EIX plugs
Audio: Kenwood DNX891HD; Audison BitOne; MMATS HIFI-6150D; Genesis Profile 16 components, run active of course; 10" Alpine Type R
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:22 AM   #7
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: 09 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickr71 View Post
I was going to buy the 2017 MK7 GTi sport because it had the sports package which is limited slip diff, bigger brakes and 220 HP, but: no 2 door models are made any longer and the head room on MK7 is an inch shorter. Im taller and i liked the room of the MK6 2 door so i just bought another 2013 model with 22k miles and sold my 135k one.
The Mk7 stated 220hp is underrated from the factory. Ive seen stock dynos from 220whp-265whp depending on dyno type and other factors. So prob more like at least 250 hp crank
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:33 AM   #8
whitewolf33
Formula 5000 Driver
 
whitewolf33's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 CW Wolfsburg
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,453
I love my GTI and its been super reliable knock on wood. I also plan to drive it until the wheels fall off but I think I want AWD or 4x4 in my next vehicle.
__________________
Revo Stage 2 // ARM Catted DP // Neuspeed P Flo // DG Springs // Depo LED Tails // OEM Lip // 35% Tint // DeAutoLED's // Rokblokz // VAG
whitewolf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:47 AM   #9
riceburner
FIA GT Champion
 
Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 960
i went from a 7 to a 6 for comfort reasons. Better ride and build quality in the 6. 7 is a little more refined in a few ways, sharper looking, LOVE the seats for sure, and the steering wheel, but I think the 6 is better after about a year in both.

the power increases with a stg1 tune was awesome, and the mpg was a little better in the 7.
__________________
buildie buildie.. http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110051
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
CMGTI
FIA GT Newbie
 
CMGTI's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 GTI
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NSB, FL
Posts: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
i went from a 7 to a 6 for comfort reasons. Better ride and build quality in the 6. 7 is a little more refined in a few ways, sharper looking, LOVE the seats for sure, and the steering wheel, but I think the 6 is better after about a year in both.

the power increases with a stg1 tune was awesome, and the mpg was a little better in the 7.
If reliability issue is alot better on the MK7, then no question I would jump on one once im done with my MK6. Going through water pump #3, the headliner issue is another.
__________________
'11 Black 3D GTI - H&R SS Springs, VMR 703s, Injen intake, slotted rotors, misc appearance mods
'11 CSG 5D GTI - Gone
CMGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:47 PM   #11
riceburner
FIA GT Champion
 
Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 960
yeah i mean, i got mine at 20k, kept it till about 40k.

I didn't have any real issues at the time minus all the rattling. Not that the mk6 is built together with foam & rubber dash pieces, but the 7 really had some rattling for being so nice.

The suspension had a couple creaks, knocks and rattles but front and rear by the time i got rid of it, and i never touched anything on it.

Engine reliability - probably a safer bet with the 7 especially comparing all of the serious common issues the 6 has, both fsi and tsi. the clutch holds more power than the 6 as well.

kind of a toss up, in the end i'm glad i went 6 and haven't missed the 7 all too much.
__________________
buildie buildie.. http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110051
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #12
TwentyTwelve
Drag Race Newbie
 
Drives: PP mk7
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: MD/PA
Posts: 52
At 50k on my 7 now (from a 4 not a 6) No issues, stage 2 and clutch is holding with the way i drive it but new one on the way.
__________________
Check out my low number of posts
TwentyTwelve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #13
CMGTI
FIA GT Newbie
 
CMGTI's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 GTI
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NSB, FL
Posts: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
yeah i mean, i got mine at 20k, kept it till about 40k.

I didn't have any real issues at the time minus all the rattling. Not that the mk6 is built together with foam & rubber dash pieces, but the 7 really had some rattling for being so nice.

The suspension had a couple creaks, knocks and rattles but front and rear by the time i got rid of it, and i never touched anything on it.

Engine reliability - probably a safer bet with the 7 especially comparing all of the serious common issues the 6 has, both fsi and tsi. the clutch holds more power than the 6 as well.

kind of a toss up, in the end i'm glad i went 6 and haven't missed the 7 all too much.
Thanks for your input. I really want another 2 door in a couple years, that said, the 2011 only has 56K miles so far, we will see.
__________________
'11 Black 3D GTI - H&R SS Springs, VMR 703s, Injen intake, slotted rotors, misc appearance mods
'11 CSG 5D GTI - Gone

Last edited by CMGTI; 10-01-2017 at 10:05 AM.
CMGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:46 PM   #14
Speeddemon69
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Drives: 2012 MK6 GTI
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,459
How is the 7 in terms of lag and response since the turbo is mated straight to the block?

With the new 6 year warranty on the 2018 models I might jump to an R but Iím looking for something faster than my Mk6 APR KO4. Donít know if a full bolt on R can take me?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speeddemon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.