GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 10-16-2017, 08:06 PM   #1
markus037
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI 4dr DSG
pcv at 60k?

my car has almost 57k on it and i was wondering if i should replace my pcv system as a preventive thing. i heard theres an updated version available. also i plan on getting tuned in the future. should i just get a catch can instead or no? i only plan on going stage 1+ for now.
markus037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:37 PM   #2
B6JoeS4
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 12 CSG DSG 4D GTI
I replaced mine recently. It is a high failure rate part and the failure has a tendency to take the rear main seal out due to the crank case being pressurized. Didn't want to deal with that so I replaced it with the newest revision. I did it at 85k
Old 10-16-2017, 09:01 PM   #3
DSGVW
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI DSG
70k just replaced mine and fixed some nagging issues I was having. I'd replace it for piece of mind with sparks and coilpacks as well.
DSGVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:29 PM   #4
markus037
Touring Car Newbie

would the stock plugs be ok with the R8 coils ? i did my plugs at 40k. i have 56k on it now. im wondering if thats the reason why i get a stumble at idle sometimes.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:47 PM   #5
FriggenT
Banned

Drives: 2013 Wolfsburg gti DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus037 View Post
would the stock plugs be ok with the R8 coils ? i did my plugs at 40k. i have 56k on it now. im wondering if thats the reason why i get a stumble at idle sometimes.
I think that's a lot for stock plugs, I'd replace them too. Also, at that mileage, you could have carbon buildup issues.
FriggenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:51 AM   #6
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriggenT View Post
Also, at that mileage, you could have carbon buildup issues.
^^this

And you might want to update your timing chain tensioner too, if you already haven't
Old 10-17-2017, 07:02 AM   #7
notovicrious
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTi 2.0T
pcv at 60k?

Quote:
my car has almost 57k on it and i was wondering if i should replace my pcv system as a preventive thing. i heard theres an updated version available. also i plan on getting tuned in the future. should i just get a catch can instead or no? i only plan on going stage 1+ for now.

Get a catch can, swap plugs and coils, save old coils just in case. Oil change and possibly take mani off and check for carbon if your inclined to do so. Did you change the tranny fluid at 40k? If not or your not sure, I would do that before anything.

Last edited by notovicrious; 10-17-2017 at 07:23 AM.
notovicrious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:30 PM   #8
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
My PCV recently failed and took the rear main seal with it so changing it before that happens is a good idea! The new revision rear main is a much better design though so at least I got something positive out of it! Just in case youíre not aware, the PCV swap is a 10 minute simple DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:43 PM   #9
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Yes you should.
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #10
markus037
Touring Car Newbie

did you guys go with the OEM VW PCV or the vaico one? there seem to be a lot of aftermarket ones out there but not sure about the quality. i also had my timing chain tensioner replaced with the updated one while i was having my timing cover resealed under my cpo warranty. i aksed if they could do it for an additional fee since they were aleady in there and they did.

did the dsg fluid at 50k so im good for a bit, thinking about doing it again at 70k. also i plan on cleaning my intake valves for good measure. then ill be set for a while.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:44 PM   #11
notovicrious
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTi 2.0T
Quote:
did you guys go with the OEM VW PCV or the vaico one? there seem to be a lot of aftermarket ones out there but not sure about the quality. i also had my timing chain tensioner replaced with the updated one while i was having my timing cover resealed under my cpo warranty. i aksed if they could do it for an additional fee since they were aleady in there and they did.

did the dsg fluid at 50k so im good for a bit, thinking about doing it again at 70k. also i plan on cleaning my intake valves for good measure. then ill be set for a while.

Just go CC brother. Peace of mind and cool points itís a no brainer.
notovicrious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:03 PM   #12
FriggenT
Banned

Drives: 2013 Wolfsburg gti DSG
Quote:

Valco is a POS, get OEM if you're gonna get another one.
FriggenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:46 PM   #13
Jarred767
Oval Champion

Drives: 2011 White GTI 4DR 6MT
May be a total noob question, but since it’s being discussed, what’s the benefit of a CC vs PCV?
Jarred767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:18 PM   #14
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
I used the latest revision genuine PCV, itís your call wether to fit a catch can or not, some think theyíre a good idea some donít, personally I think after reading on these forums about other issues related to oil leaks and excess pressures etc that theyíre a bad idea, sure the PCV can fail but while itís working itís doing what it should in relation to crank pressures etc, Others will say they remove the oil vapour from entering the intake so itís a no brainier but itís not that simple and a properly working PCV system will recirculate minimal vapour anyway, itís theyíre to regulate crank pressure particularly when in boost as it can enter the crankcase, a catch can simply canít do the job of a PCV fully and like I said from reading on various forums about problems with crank pressures there is nearly always a catch can fitted, IMO fit the new revision PCV!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote