GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 10-23-2017, 09:40 PM   #1
Mk5tsi

Drives: Mk5 gti tsi
Low oil pressure engine stop

Hey guys

I recently bought an 09 gti with 56k. The stop engine low oil pressure light came on i checked the oil it was good . I was pretty much home parked it did an oil change and changed the oil pressure sensor and no go .. Droped the pan nothing in the pick up tube ..

The oil pressure light comes on after it warms up maybe like 20 mins .Oil pressure reading at idle 12-15 psi when warm at 2k rpm 30psi ... Im willing to take the engine apart to fix whatever is causing me this headache but need some sugestions thanks
Mk5tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
Charles@NGP
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Drives: '09 CC 2.0T 4Motion
Could be balance shaft failure. If one of them stops spinning freely it will cause the pump to have issues.

I had similar symptoms to what you did, but I did end up finding a few small flakes in the oil pickup from the balance shaft wearing down. The odd thing is that on most oil pressure tests, the oil pump was still making good pressure most of the time. When you would drive the car at certain RPMs though, the pressure would drop.
Charles@NGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:08 PM   #3
Mk5tsi

Drives: Mk5 gti tsi
I was thinking the same thing i guess ill have to pull it apart and check for wear . Could it be the oil pump itself or are those not likley culprits ?
Mk5tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #4
Charles@NGP
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Drives: '09 CC 2.0T 4Motion
In my experience, the oil pumps are not typically faulty on the TSI engine. They're fairly simple in their operation.
Charles@NGP is offline   Reply With Quote