GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 10-16-2017, 03:26 PM   #15
SyDiko
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credit View Post
Spring 2016 I buy my dream car a 2006 Cayman S. It breaks down two days after I buy it.
The Cayman S is also the car and platform I'd hop into after the GTI.

(I wouldn't get a 06' though.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credit View Post
tl;dr my GTI changed my life
It's damn hard to find a replacement for the MK6 GTI isn't it? I have a 12' with 74k on the odometer and I can't bring myself to sell her. It's just too good of a car.
SyDiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #16
jkdiver
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: VW MK6GTI
Thanks for sharing your experience. That was fun to read and very interesting.
jkdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #17
Credit
Rally Car Champion

Drives: Slow
Thanks for the all comments guys. I wasn't really sure if anyone had the endurance to read my ramblings for that long. I love my Porsche, but I wish Porsche owners were more like GTI owners and this forum in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_law View Post

Yeah, "coincidentally." *smirk* *eye roll* She buy that?
It was actually her idea to hit up the PPIHC practice. It's not a coincidence that we bought a house together 3 months after that trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueE30 View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmm....... if your clutch lasted a while on stage 2, maybe mine will....
I was amazed my stock clutch last as long as it did. I rev match every downshift and I launched it maybe 3-4 times a year. I think that helped a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha3 View Post
I enjoyed the reading of your thread very much also; introspective, well written, and entertaining. Lol.....Emma. I thought I was the only crazy one naming cars.

Great thread.
You're not alone, all my friends name their cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeez View Post

Also, if your WG goes, you only have to replace that, and not the turbo. Done it myself. Save that money for blown water pumps and engine rebuilds lol.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
My mechanic and I talked about just replacing the WG. But he suggested to replace the whole thing and I trust him a lot. I kept the old one in case the new one craps out too. I could get the old one rebuilt and keep the downtime to a minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$han View Post
Thanks for this thread! You are great at summarizing the experience and detailing events over the years - and I'd say you have really bad luck with "dream cars" lol

I loved my Mk6, but when it began to cost us $$ for repairs, we bailed on it and went for a new mk7. Couldn't be happier, and now I wanna get it on a track next year to explore its limits.
I was really tempted by the MK7/MK7R they're better than MK6s in pretty much every way.

My Cayman has been a shitshow. But I'm planning on making lemonade this winter by boring it from a 3.4 to a 3.8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyDiko View Post
The Cayman S is also the car and platform I'd hop into after the GTI.

(I wouldn't get a 06' though.)
Yeah. I wouldn't recommend a 06-08 Cayman S to anyone who plans on tracking their car. The 09+ have DFI engines that are super stout.

Last edited by Credit; 10-16-2017 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Grammar.
Credit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:36 PM   #18
McGuillicuddy
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
Great post! Read it top to bottom.

Didn't notice any repairs other than the fuel filter and wastegate (clutch doesn't count - it did well for you). Have you not needed any other work done over 110K (carbon cleaning)?
McGuillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #19
Credit
Rally Car Champion

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuillicuddy View Post
Great post! Read it top to bottom.

Didn't notice any repairs other than the fuel filter and wastegate (clutch doesn't count - it did well for you). Have you not needed any other work done over 110K (carbon cleaning)?
Things I can remember:
  • Clutch - wearable
  • Rear trailing arm bushing - wearable
  • Wastegate - legit broken, but it was tuned for 75k+
  • PCV oil leak - legit broken, 105k+ miles
  • Fuel filter - most likely damaged on a gravel road
  • Intake Manifold - replaced under warranty

No carbon cleaning. I dropped a lot of money on the turbo/clutch/diff, but overall it's been a pretty reliable car. Extremely reliable when you consider how hard I drive it.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:09 PM   #20
zrickety
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
I feel the same way. I bought mine used but from a friend that bought it new. I've been a VW guy 5+ years and my car has 141k. I don't know what I'll replace with it, and I've really looked. Fast, light, dependable, it's hard to beat!! I'm jealous of the 2 door though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:48 PM   #21
KITEWAGON
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn 6M
This is a great thread. I'm curious if you've ever done the timing chains or tensioner? I don't see them listed. I read about those as being a weak point on this engine, but your car has clearly been driven hard (I mean that in a good way). If you haven't had it done, do you have any plans to?
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:57 AM   #22
samamk6
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2010 | 1.6 TDi | Reflex Silver |
I really enjoyed reading this.. definitely a pleasant lunch break read.. great story, great car
samamk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #23
Cyrok
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 10 GTi
Really enjoyed the read as well, thanks for taking the time to do it!
As I'm trying to convince myself to go with an LSD for future mods, I was only disappointed to read you weren't impressed with it though...
Traction issues is the only thing that makes me want to go with an R....

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk