GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 10-29-2017, 03:09 AM   #1
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
2010 GTI front hub/wheelbearing replacement

Does anybody know the latest revision part number for the front hub/bearing assembly for a 2010 GTI please? And could a different failed part mimic the sound of a failed bearing such as the drive shafts for example?? Iím at 118000 miles, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
TimS
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '12 Golf R
I had a bad ball joint that cupped my right front tire; it sounded exactly like a bad wheel bearing.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
Carlosfandango

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
I had a bad ball joint that cupped my right front tire; it sounded exactly like a bad wheel bearing.

Interesting! Although Iím getting a noise that sounds like classic failed wheel bearing Iím not sure it is, it doesnít really change when loading the bearings when turning (weaving) and Iím not 100% sure thereís play with the car jacked up, whatís the best way to check the ball joints?

Old 10-30-2017, 09:09 AM   #4
TimS
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '12 Golf R
Mine was making noise, so it was pretty easy to diagnose. With that corner in the air, pull the tire vertically to check for play. If there's no play in the wheel, try grabbing the control arm and moving that.

Check your tire while it's up, too. Any cupping or feathering will be obvious.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
Carlosfandango

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
Mine was making noise, so it was pretty easy to diagnose. With that corner in the air, pull the tire vertically to check for play. If there's no play in the wheel, try grabbing the control arm and moving that.

Check your tire while it's up, too. Any cupping or feathering will be obvious.

Yeah I already checked the tyres and did a rotation of the wheels and also made sure they all were placed so they are now spinning in the opposite direction too but the noise did not change, nor did it when driving on different surfaces, Iíve just taken the car to my usual shop and they took it for a drive and checked it on a lift which highlighted the right side front bearing as the culprit, Iím going to have the front suspension refreshed as well while itís in for the bearing, fingers crossed it fixes the noise! Thanks for the help.