GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infamous MK6 GTI Door Creak Help

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Good Morning Everyone,

I realize that everyone pretty much is away of the door creak problem in these cars of ours.

In my car its not the weather strip part that is the issue, rather the door. Particularity around the arm rest area on the drivers door. Its not the door panel itself but the door. It just creaks in that area when I go over bumps or uneven surfaces, which is all the time.

Other than this annoyance my car is very quiet after 5 yrs of ownership.

I have read that you can grease the door latch area and this may help the creaking sound. Yet I have seen no actual photos of where to grease, and what kind of grease? Are we putting grease into this area:
[/IMG]

If this is where the grease is going, where does it go? are we just greasing up the whole latch itself? White Lithium grease? Assembly Lube Grease? Bearing Grease? What are you folks using? Where are you putting it? Does it actually Help?

Thanks For Your Time....

Dub On my friends..
:icon_secta:

Jeff

Last edited:

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Have no idea why the photo is so D A M N big sorry about that, if you can tell me how to re scale it I will...

Thanks for your help everyone..

Jeff

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
There are two versions of door creak

1) the latch needs adjustment via the bolts in the door

2) where the top felt liner of the door meets the painted underside of the A-frame you need to grease the painted area lightly.

Mine does not seem to be coming from the felt part. It seems like it is coming from the latch.

The Creak began at year 3 of car ownership, had is since then. So how are we adjusting this latch? The door fits perfect dont want any panel gap issues, just curious how this works.

Jeff

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion

beygan

Ready to race!
Grease might not help.

I have door creak coming from the hinges and spraying silicone lubricant does not do the trick. Well it does for a week or two but the creaking comes back. Maybe an adjustment or elbow grease will be more permanent.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I am just confused on how this is fixed? You need to adjust the door latch itself? I will have to ask my Dad about that, he was in the Body Shop business for decades, he would know how, but are we suggesting to pull the door in closer to the body?

Just wanting to see if this is the potential fix? Or is it some other adjustment that is needed?

On the Felt part around the doors, mine doesn't seem to make noise there, it sometimes does on really steep driveways where there is flex in the chassis. That doesn't happen often at all though. I suspect you just replace those? People place tubing in channel, but I am not sure about that one.

Jeff

beygan

Ready to race!
Adjusting the latch will not help. It is the metal on metal contact. Elbow grease should help but you may have to take apart the assembly to get to the correct areas.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Grease might not help.

I have door creak coming from the hinges and spraying silicone lubricant does not do the trick. Well it does for a week or two but the creaking comes back. Maybe an adjustment or elbow grease will be more permanent.

Try white lithium grease