GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 10-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
Jeffs2013GTI
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 SB GTI
Infamous MK6 GTI Door Creak Help

Good Morning Everyone,

I realize that everyone pretty much is away of the door creak problem in these cars of ours.

In my car its not the weather strip part that is the issue, rather the door. Particularity around the arm rest area on the drivers door. Its not the door panel itself but the door. It just creaks in that area when I go over bumps or uneven surfaces, which is all the time.

Other than this annoyance my car is very quiet after 5 yrs of ownership.

I have read that you can grease the door latch area and this may help the creaking sound. Yet I have seen no actual photos of where to grease, and what kind of grease? Are we putting grease into this area:
[IMG][/IMG]

If this is where the grease is going, where does it go? are we just greasing up the whole latch itself? White Lithium grease? Assembly Lube Grease? Bearing Grease? What are you folks using? Where are you putting it? Does it actually Help?

Thanks For Your Time....

Dub On my friends..

Jeff

Last edited by Jeffs2013GTI; 10-29-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Jeffs2013GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #2
Jeffs2013GTI
FIA GT Champion

Have no idea why the photo is so D A M N big sorry about that, if you can tell me how to re scale it I will...

Thanks for your help everyone..

Jeff
Old 10-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #3
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 MK6
There are two versions of door creak

1) the latch needs adjustment via the bolts in the door

2) where the top felt liner of the door meets the painted underside of the A-frame you need to grease the painted area lightly.
Instagram:@becauseHYDE16
YouTube: HYDE16
HYDE16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:05 PM   #4
Jeffs2013GTI
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
There are two versions of door creak

1) the latch needs adjustment via the bolts in the door

2) where the top felt liner of the door meets the painted underside of the A-frame you need to grease the painted area lightly.
Mine does not seem to be coming from the felt part. It seems like it is coming from the latch.

The Creak began at year 3 of car ownership, had is since then. So how are we adjusting this latch? The door fits perfect dont want any panel gap issues, just curious how this works.

Jeff
Old 10-29-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: mk6 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs2013GTI View Post
Have no idea why the photo is so D A M N big sorry about that, if you can tell me how to re scale it I will...

Thanks for your help everyone..

Jeff
Put a lowercase L just before .jpg in the link and it'll change it to a better size for forums.

https://i.imgur.com/lYOXXIF.jpg

should be

https://i.imgur.com/lYOXXIFl.jpg

Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:24 PM   #6
Jeffs2013GTI
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterkrazzy View Post
Put a lowercase L just before .jpg in the link and it'll change it to a better size for forums.

https://i.imgur.com/lYOXXIF.jpg

should be

https://i.imgur.com/lYOXXIFl.jpg

Thank You so much, will dir Sir

Jeff
Old 10-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #7
beygan
Oval Champion

Drives: GTI 2013
Grease might not help.

I have door creak coming from the hinges and spraying silicone lubricant does not do the trick. Well it does for a week or two but the creaking comes back. Maybe an adjustment or elbow grease will be more permanent.
APR Stage 1
beygan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:34 PM   #8
Jeffs2013GTI
FIA GT Champion

I am just confused on how this is fixed? You need to adjust the door latch itself? I will have to ask my Dad about that, he was in the Body Shop business for decades, he would know how, but are we suggesting to pull the door in closer to the body?

Just wanting to see if this is the potential fix? Or is it some other adjustment that is needed?

On the Felt part around the doors, mine doesn't seem to make noise there, it sometimes does on really steep driveways where there is flex in the chassis. That doesn't happen often at all though. I suspect you just replace those? People place tubing in channel, but I am not sure about that one.

Jeff
Old 10-30-2017, 05:16 AM   #9
beygan
Oval Champion

Drives: GTI 2013
Adjusting the latch will not help. It is the metal on metal contact. Elbow grease should help but you may have to take apart the assembly to get to the correct areas.
APR Stage 1
beygan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:07 AM   #10
g-magoo

Drives: '14 CW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by beygan View Post
Grease might not help.

I have door creak coming from the hinges and spraying silicone lubricant does not do the trick. Well it does for a week or two but the creaking comes back. Maybe an adjustment or elbow grease will be more permanent.

Try white lithium grease
g-magoo is offline   Reply With Quote