GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question on Painting a New Front Bumper

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

I am in need of an new front bumper in the coming months. I am probably going to go with the Golf R conversation bumper.

My question is do I need to worry about blending the paint? For instance, could I just test fit the new front bumper then remove it and just drop it off at a body shop for them to paint (drop just the bumper off as this is my daily driver). Should I be worried about the front bumper paint matching the rest of the body?

I replaced a fog light bulb that was out and ended up not screwing it back into place correctly and it melted the mounting bracket a little... fast forward months and the light came out of the mounting bracket and burned a hole right thru my bumper when I had my fogs on 1 night (noticed it days later). It also has a nice dent in it from a bike rack that I ran into.... so it's time to retire this bumper.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I'm assuming I have nothing to worry about?

CHerna

Ready to race!
I can shed a little insight here from my professional automotive engineering experience.

The car (body) is/was painted at the factory. The parts are more than likely supplied from a tier 1 supplier. There is a master sample for each color/paint code. There are parameters for each color. Each (tier 1) painter can stray so far in the color spectrum, meaning they can go x amount red, x amount blue, etc. For example, if you look at a new car on the dealer lot, you may be able to tell the bumpers are not an exact match to the body. This is because of color harmony, or lack thereof.

That being said, part of the time, the bumpers were never a true match to the car's body. A good painter should be able to get it close, but will need the car to do so. The risk of poor color harmony will increase without the car present.

Last edited:

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
That makes sense. Thanks for your input. Maybe I'll just drop off the whole car