GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 11-03-2017, 09:12 PM   #29
Phur
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 VW GTI Autobahn
Is it possible that it is money shifting instead (shifting down a gear instead of up) causing the TCU to freak out and default to 6th gear to minimize the damage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:31 PM   #30
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 09 GLI
Different issue than OP but I know the audible click/clack sound when coming to a stop with the DSG is pretty common but mines been getting louder and louder past 6 months. Anyone experiencing this as well? Still drives like a dream though
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:20 AM   #31
mk6'12gti
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 4dr Black Gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by zef View Post
I thought the DSG's had an extended 10 year 100k mile warranty?

My car skipped gears if I red lined it then clicked a gear at the same time. I had the DSG flashed and had the automatic upshift removed. Have not had an issue since. I would first look into whether the DSG is still under warranty, and if not, to invest in a good quality DSG tune. I've had a few different ones and I like APR's the best. It really transforms the transmission in a positive way.
On my dsg tune I had the auto upshift turned off to but as soon as I would hit 7100... if I didn't shift right then my car would throw a hissy fit and cut off all power. So I had auto shifts turned back on cause it was pointless to have it turned off if I couldn't ride on the redline for a few secs.
| Apr Ko4 v3.2 | Apr stage 2 Dsg | Do88 Ic | IE intake | Circuitwerks turboback | Ecs street shield | R8 coils | S3 style top | Spulen throttle pipe | BC coils | Uni dv relocate | 034 street density mounts | 034 pendulum mount | Hpa 75A puck | P3 Gauge | GFB Dv+ | Apr catch can | Osram headlights |
mk6'12gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:47 AM   #32
Carlosfandango

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix View Post
Different issue than OP but I know the audible click/clack sound when coming to a stop with the DSG is pretty common but mines been getting louder and louder past 6 months. Anyone experiencing this as well? Still drives like a dream though

I know the sound you mean! Doing the basic settings with VCDS usually stops it, make sure your transmission fluid is not due a change as well, canít remember the intervals though!

Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:34 AM   #33
mk6'12gti
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 4dr Black Gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
I know the sound you mean! Doing the basic settings with VCDS usually stops it, make sure your transmission fluid is not due a change as well, canít remember the intervals though!

Normally its every 40k you change the dsg fluid
| Apr Ko4 v3.2 | Apr stage 2 Dsg | Do88 Ic | IE intake | Circuitwerks turboback | Ecs street shield | R8 coils | S3 style top | Spulen throttle pipe | BC coils | Uni dv relocate | 034 street density mounts | 034 pendulum mount | Hpa 75A puck | P3 Gauge | GFB Dv+ | Apr catch can | Osram headlights |
mk6'12gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:02 AM   #34
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
The clicking is normal to some extent, but louder and more frequent likely indicates a dried up solenoid on the mech unit. I honestly hope/expect a recall here on these as the cars age, this seems to be a more common problem. Unfortunately, VAG takes their sweet fucking time issuing them.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:47 PM   #35
Jeffs2013GTI
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 SB GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocalPoint View Post
Rare? Hah... I dunno about that. When I took my car in to have it checked out at the dealer, they were about ready to warranty my out of warranty DSG along with a CC and another GTI for the mech unit. All 2011 or recent. They found out my warranty had lapsed and gave me an estimate of $2200.

It might be rare to you, but check out the complaints for the NHTSA site on this model. Tons of problems with DSG false neutrals.

I have yet to rectify my issue, and I've flushed the fluid twice, level is perfect, reset has been done. Nothing left but the mech unit which is likely failing much like the MKVs and the MK7s. I'm praying for a recall or a better job opp so I can ditch this car as it's a money pit for repairs at this point.
I very rarely here about DSG failures on this forum or others. I have heard allot of failures of DSG's just not the ones specific to our market.

Sure it happens. I am sure it does, but to say its "Common" I would have to disagree with you on that one. At least in the MK6 GTI USA market case.

Jeff
Jeffs2013GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:37 PM   #36
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 09 GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post

Ive changed fluid twice and probably done like 10 DSG resets. The reset helps a little at first but eventually it comes back
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #37
Carlosfandango

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix View Post
Ive changed fluid twice and probably done like 10 DSG resets. The reset helps a little at first but eventually it comes back

Yeah it does tend to revert back!

Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:24 PM   #38
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
Well as soon as it sets back to your driving habits it does the same bullshit patterns as before.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:07 PM   #39
notovicrious
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTi 2.0T
It has a mind of its ownnnnnnn ooooooohhuuuuoooooo...
notovicrious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:26 AM   #40
zrickety
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
I drive exclusively in manual mode...you say the car was up to date, but do you know that they did the fluid at 40k? The level could be low. Your mileage I would go ahead and do a full change, try a couple quarts of Motul DCTF mixed with the OEM fluid. At the same time, the battery should be out and you can let it relearn settings with some fresh fluid. Always try the easy things first. After that I would suspect your shifter...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:58 PM   #41
notovicrious
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTi 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
I drive exclusively in manual mode...you say the car was up to date, but do you know that they did the fluid at 40k? The level could be low. Your mileage I would go ahead and do a full change, try a couple quarts of Motul DCTF mixed with the OEM fluid. At the same time, the battery should be out and you can let it relearn settings with some fresh fluid. Always try the easy things first. After that I would suspect your shifter...

Great idea...
notovicrious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:40 PM   #42
Boscogn
FIA GT Champion

Drives: CSG 2013 GTI DSG 4DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs2013GTI View Post
I very rarely here about DSG failures on this forum or others. I have heard allot of failures of DSG's just not the ones specific to our market.

Sure it happens. I am sure it does, but to say its "Common" I would have to disagree with you on that one. At least in the MK6 GTI USA market case.

Jeff
The mechatronics unit does fail. Failed enough the humble mechanic on YouTube thought to do a video about it.

Edit: nevermind this is for a different dsg. Anyways I think my statement still holds water as if the dsg will fail it will likely be the mechatronics unit. I haven't had any issues with mine.

https://youtu.be/8BbjLT3yQ-8

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk