GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 11-08-2017, 08:49 PM   #1
Fyodor Dostoevsky
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2013 MK6 GTI 6MT Cdn Base Model
Is Detonation a Common Problem with the 2.0T Engine?

I've had a 2013 mk6 GTI for two years (second owner).

Since I've had it I've noticed what appears to be detonation (aka: knock, pre-ignition) when the engine is under heavy load from 2000 to 3000 rpm. It sounds something like a rattlesnake or shaking some chains with your hand.

It also seems like the engine makes some adjustments in an attempt to stop the detonation, since the sound reduces in intensity after it first happens (or sometimes disappears entirely), but will then re-appear after a few minutes the next time I put the engine under heavy load again.

I have always used "Top Tier" premium gas - 92 Octane. Once I tried a tank of 94 octane and the detonation was maybe 50% better, but still noticeable.

Also the car has only 17,000 miles on it, so I would think carbon build-up shouldn't be an issue.

So my questions are:

Is detonation typically a problem with the 2.0T engines?

Does the 2.0T have detonation sensors and an ECU algorithm for preventing it?

If the engine is indeed experiencing detonation will there be error codes stored in the ECU indicating this?
Fyodor Dostoevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:39 AM   #2
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 09 GLI
I wonder if you're hearing wastegate rattle. Theres a TSB and clip you can install on the arm
BudgetPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:53 AM   #3
Fyodor Dostoevsky
Go Kart Newbie

Maybe, but really I don't think so. The sound I am hearing is exactly like detonation, and occurs as soon as I step on the throttle in the lower rpms (2000-3000), like detonation does.

Do you know the TSB number? I have a subscription at AllDataDIY, but after a quick glance, I didn't see any TSBs related to the wastegate.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:37 AM   #4
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 09 GLI
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20401
BudgetPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:43 AM   #5
Fyodor Dostoevsky
Go Kart Newbie

Ok, I found the TSB about the waste gate rattle on AllDataDIY (#2024061). Actually now it's looking promising.

The TSB mentions that the rattle occurs at 1800-3000 rpm, which is the right range.

Also it states "Noise can typically be duplicated by driving up a moderate incline, beginning at 35 mph (56 kph) in 4th gear (manual or automatic transmission) and accelerating through the RPM range of 1800-3000 RPM under moderate to heavy throttle." This would also reproduce the sound I am hearing.

It sounds like detonation to me. But I have been wrong before and I might well be wrong on this as well.

15 more days left on warranty. I'll have the dealer check this. Thanks for mentioning it.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:50 AM   #6
Roh Echt
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2007 MKV GTI
There's quite a few vids addressing this: https://www.google.com/search?q=2.0+...w=1333&bih=606
`07 GTI/GIAC K04 files/AWE DV/APR HPFP/TTRS LPFP/Torqbyte PM3/S3 INJ's&fmic/RS4 fprv/FORGE fmtc,WG act.&TB HOSE/TechtonicsTuning TB/2.25" Turbo Outlet/BSH MOUNT's/NEUS. P-FLO&throttle pipe/GIAC DSG Tune/13.2BBK/W.A.L.K./H&R SS/H&R F&R-ARB's/Bilstein B8 Dampers My Dragtime link-GIAC tune2007 Volkswagen GTI : 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH
Roh Echt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:22 PM   #7
Fyodor Dostoevsky
Go Kart Newbie

Thanks. I took a look at several of these. The most similar to the noise I am hearing is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijFNPYkRjvI

If you listen at 4, 6 and 24 seconds of the video, the faint rattle sound at around 2,700-3,000 rpm is basically what I am hearing in my car.

Some of the videos show the sound happening during deceleration as well as acceleration. However, in my car it only occurs during acceleration.