GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2017, 06:06 PM   #1
zef
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: 2013 GTI
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 425
Is this a defect or damage?

Bought a lip from ECS tuning and I can't tell if it's just a shoddy piece or if it was damaged during shipping. The box didn't look abused at all.

There is a "line" (or crack?) running down the whole back edge of the lip - in certain parts if you push on it it creaks. I am no expert with carbon fiber and this is my first carbon lip so I can't tell what I am looking at it. Is it fixable? Should I return it?



__________________
Check out my build thread here -> Build Thread

zef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:25 PM   #2
1ashchuckton
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
1ashchuckton's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI Carbon Steel Grey DSG
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 592
Not sure, but if that was mine it would be going back to ECS. I'm sure it won't get better with age.
1ashchuckton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:26 PM   #3
VoZ
Newbie
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zef View Post
Bought a lip from ECS tuning and I can't tell if it's just a shoddy piece or if it was damaged during shipping. The box didn't look abused at all.

There is a "line" (or crack?) running down the whole back edge of the lip - in certain parts if you push on it it creaks. I am no expert with carbon fiber and this is my first carbon lip so I can't tell what I am looking at it. Is it fixable? Should I return it?





They will be happy to replace it for you. It should be a smooth finish.
VoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:42 PM   #4
zef
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: 2013 GTI
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 425
Ugh. Last time I exchanged something from ECS it was a huge headache. And I also ordered Cherry Red tail lights. Guess what they sent me? Dark cherry.

/sigh
__________________
Check out my build thread here -> Build Thread

zef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:49 PM   #5
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion
 
sterkrazzy's Avatar
 
Drives: mk6 gti
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 2,218
My lip showed up with a crack from ECS too. It's hard to say if it was shipping, the rest of it was fine and it wasn't that large of a crack. I didn't have the carbon fiber version though, so fixing it was easy.
__________________
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:51 PM   #6
zef
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: 2013 GTI
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 425
Yeah I should've went with a more durable option since I am sure the CF is going to get scuffed at some point, but I'm kind of a ricer so I'm a sucker for CF.
__________________
Check out my build thread here -> Build Thread

zef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:55 PM   #7
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion
 
sterkrazzy's Avatar
 
Drives: mk6 gti
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by zef View Post
Yeah I should've went with a more durable option since I am sure the CF is going to get scuffed at some point, but I'm kind of a ricer so I'm a sucker for CF.
I really thought about going CF, it was a tough choice lol
__________________
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:40 PM   #8
Tyler12108
Oval Champion
 
Tyler12108's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GTI
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 174
Ecs sent me the wrong brake pads recently, I'd been using them for the past few years no problem but seems like I keep hearing stuff like this happening a lot more
Tyler12108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #9
zef
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: 2013 GTI
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 425
Dropped them back off at FedEx today... let's see what happens.
__________________
Check out my build thread here -> Build Thread

zef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:04 PM   #10
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver
 
lilonespaz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 6,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by zef View Post
Dropped them back off at FedEx today... let's see what happens.
did you ever talk to ECS? like their live chat or a email and ask them?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakcard View Post
listen to your gut....And lilonespaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:28 AM   #11
zef
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: 2013 GTI
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
did you ever talk to ECS? like their live chat or a email and ask them?
Yeah I spoke with them on the phone and they gave me an RMA#. I described the "crack" and they just said send it back we'll give you another one lol.

Their live chat is a joke, but the people on the phone were actually pretty nice about it. Hopefully this is a good sign.
__________________
Check out my build thread here -> Build Thread

zef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:40 AM   #12
uglybastard
Formula 5000 Champion
 
uglybastard's Avatar
 
Drives: VW Mk6 CSG GTI 2D 6MT; Jeep WJ
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Central NH
Posts: 2,546
I too have had issues with ECS. never again.
__________________


R135 ..............VAGCOM in Southern NH
╬╬╣
..246.............. Insta
uglybastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #13
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver
 
lilonespaz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 6,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by zef View Post
Yeah I spoke with them on the phone and they gave me an RMA#. I described the "crack" and they just said send it back we'll give you another one lol.

Their live chat is a joke, but the people on the phone were actually pretty nice about it. Hopefully this is a good sign.
Yeah their live chat i think it just some outsourced garbage. I asked a question about a part because it didn't actually list any detail and they just copied and pasted the description.. So i had to ask them again what that actually meant and they said that was all the info they had. Def not car people on the chat.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakcard View Post
listen to your gut....And lilonespaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.