GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blown motor, tensioner failure 2.0TSI 2012 GTI 93K miles What would you do?

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
Props on the engine swapping! Check the turbo for shaft play while it's out. Great time to go K04 :lol:

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
plus you can pick a k04 up for well under a grand if you get lucky on the forums or elsewhere

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I cant say which Tensioner you actually have though. There has been 4 revisions of the same part thus far. So, you may have a revised part, but THE MOST REVISED. Who knows? Unless you can see a part number.

Jeff

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I cant say which Tensioner you actually have though. There has been 4 revisions of the same part thus far. So, you may have a revised part, but THE MOST REVISED. Who knows? Unless you can see a part number.

That's what I'm afraid of! I can't see the whole number, and the bottom cover only comes off with some tugging and bending, which means I'd need a new one at $106....
So, what would you do? We know it's revised, probably second generation given the early model year production date of my engine parts, showing September-October, 2012. Is it revised enough?

plus you can pick a k04 up for well under a grand if you get lucky on the forums or elsewhere

I've looked and can't find any under $1500... I agree with you, just not sure what the install takes? I know there's a software update that gets done. Is that it, the turbo and a chip? Sounds easy. Any drawbacks to the K04? Check engine lights? I really don't want to screw up emissions inspections.

Quiet day today, just ironing out some things to keep rolling. Separated the transmission and swapped the flywheel on. I'm trying to decide what to do about the turbo....

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
You're probably good with the new style tensioner, even with the older revision. You really dont hear of them failing ever really. But it would be way easier to change it while you have the engine out if you want the peace of mind.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Would totally K04 if the engine is out. May as well while you're there.... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
You're probably good with the new style tensioner, even with the older revision. You really dont hear of them failing ever really. But it would be way easier to change it

I agree on the 'peace of mind' angle, but the one revision is great for now and I'm ready to be done with this project! It's going too slow lately, too many holdups.

Another slow day today. Went into it with, as always, the greatest intentions. Broke an exhaust stud reinstalling the exhaust manifold. Man that sucked. It broke flush, minus two threads, so it was sunk into the head. I tried drilling and then the bit got stuck in there too. That was enough, brought the motor to a shop for removal. Hoping to have it back mid-day tomorrow to continue. It's reinstall everything time, coming soon!

Last edited:

wmssbr10

Passed Driver's Ed
Was it the drivers side stud that broke? On my K04 swap I found that stud broke. Tow to shop and $400 later it was out. Your tensioner looks just like the one I ordered and installed last month from DAP. I have a 2010 and the old tensioner looked like it was in good shape but for piece of mind I replaced it.

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, it was the driver's side. Top left looking at the manifold. Sheared off inside. I found a local engine machine shop that took it in and said no problem. Good, cause I was out of options! $400, hopefully not!
The tensioner that failed on my 2012 was the early style, probably the same as your 2010. Good move changing yours. I'm gonna let mine ride.

wmssbr10

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree with letting it ride. Looks exactly like the new one I got. My stud was broke just inside head also. Extractor broke while I tried to get it out. I think it took the shop 4 or 5 hours to get stud out and new one in. Couldn't complain about price as the shop let me clean up block, put the new turbo on and all the brackets and heat shield and the turbo outlet pipe while the car was still on the lift. So easy if you have a lift. Needless to say I don't :(.

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Machine shop hasn't touched it yet. So, long weekend means Tuesday at the earliest. Whatever...... I'll stop ignoring the family for a few days!
So, now that I have a little time I've created a 'seeking K04' ad to see if there are any out there for the right price. I'll give it a few days to see. Anyone have any insight????? Otherwise, no updates until then!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I’ve not heard of any of the new revision tensioners failing (regardless of generation), this is probably due to wire locking mechanism that can be seen at the base of the piston, it’s like a fail safe! It will not allow the piston to ever retract back further than the originally fitted depth, so basically it doesn’t rely on oil pressure like the old revision so won’t slacken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Man, great work. I came in to say that at this point with my car if the engine goes I'll be installing another. Even if I pay someone $7,000 or $8,000 to do it for me I absolutely cannot find something else for that amount of money that I would enjoy as much. Just poking through this thread kind of makes me want to go find a cheap, highly used engine to take apart and put back together again for fun.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Machine shop hasn't touched it yet. So, long weekend means Tuesday at the earliest. Whatever...... I'll stop ignoring the family for a few days!
So, now that I have a little time I've created a 'seeking K04' ad to see if there are any out there for the right price. I'll give it a few days to see. Anyone have any insight????? Otherwise, no updates until then!

glad you're deciding to go that route