GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 12-26-2017, 01:52 PM   #43
Dans GTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6
Nice job man. Looking good!
2010 MK6 GTI 6MT: APR Stage 2.4 High Output : eBay special downpipe : IE Intake : R8 Coils : BKR7EIX : DWS06 : 034 Dog Bone Mount : 034 Dog Bone Insert : StopTech Brake Pads : SPM CatBack : Sachs ZF Clutch : Diesel Geek Short Shifter : GFB DV + : Clutch Stop :
Dans GTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:21 PM   #44
GreggGTI
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: GTI
Thanks fellas. Mother in Law didn't bale until 3pm, arghhh! So I was stuck with small talk all day. I did get the new motor in the garage and pulled the inspection cover off where the tensioner is shown. Picture below. Can anyone verify that this is the updated tensioner? It looks WAY different than the outgoing motor's, so I'm happy there. I can't for the life of me get the part number to show. The updated tensioner is part number 06K 109 467 K MR7. I only need the last digit to show and I can verify it ends in 'K'. I can see the 'MR7', but they ALL end in that number. I'm feeling decent about this tensioner. May rent a borescope from Autozone to totally confirm, I think they loan them?

Turbo is out and the picture is below. I watched the Humble Mechanic video about the 2.0 turbo failures, and this turbo doesn't show any symptoms. The waste gate was pretty tight and the scroll looked pretty good. My glove grazed it, so it looks nicked up. That is just carbon that was wiped off. Anyone have insight on what else to check or should I just run this turbo?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1226171511.jpg (289.3 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg 1226171800.jpg (309.9 KB, 239 views)
GreggGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #45
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Blown motor, tensioner failure 2.0TSI 2012 GTI 93K miles What would you do?

Thatís the revised tensioner! , so no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Carlosfandango; 12-26-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Carlosfandango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:11 PM   #46
GreggGTI
Go Kart Newbie

Quote:
That’s the revised tensioner! , so no worries.
Thanks Carlos, I was waiting for your confirmation! Saves me a bunch of work.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #47
OhioMK6
Oval Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI - 2DR Manual
Props on the engine swapping! Check the turbo for shaft play while it's out. Great time to go K04
Stratified Tune | SouthBend Stage 2 Daily Clutch | ECS Tuning Intake - SPM Downpipe - Corsa RSC Catback - GFB DV+ - Audi R8 Coils + NGK IX Plugs - Koni Coilovers - 3SDM 0.06 Wheels - Hankook Evo V12 - HAWK
HPS 5.0 Pads - ECS Tuning SS Brake Lines - Ziza Golf R Tails - ECS Tuning Street Shield - Eonon GA5153f Android Headunit
OhioMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:30 AM   #48
damagi123
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG
plus you can pick a k04 up for well under a grand if you get lucky on the forums or elsewhere
APR K04 V3.1, APR DSG tune, APR Intake, Uni intercooler, UR Catless Downpipe, W.A.L.K, APR 27mm Front and Rear Sways, ECS Dogbone insert, 034 Subframe Collars, Pedalbox throttle controller, 17" Fujins on Conti DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
"You're no daisy. No daisy at all."
damagi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:45 PM   #49
Jeffs2013GTI
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 SB GTI
I cant say which Tensioner you actually have though. There has been 4 revisions of the same part thus far. So, you may have a revised part, but THE MOST REVISED. Who knows? Unless you can see a part number.

Jeff
Jeffs2013GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:51 PM   #50
GreggGTI
Go Kart Newbie

Quote:
I cant say which Tensioner you actually have though. There has been 4 revisions of the same part thus far. So, you may have a revised part, but THE MOST REVISED. Who knows? Unless you can see a part number.
That's what I'm afraid of! I can't see the whole number, and the bottom cover only comes off with some tugging and bending, which means I'd need a new one at $106....
So, what would you do? We know it's revised, probably second generation given the early model year production date of my engine parts, showing September-October, 2012. Is it revised enough?

Quote:
plus you can pick a k04 up for well under a grand if you get lucky on the forums or elsewhere
I've looked and can't find any under $1500... I agree with you, just not sure what the install takes? I know there's a software update that gets done. Is that it, the turbo and a chip? Sounds easy. Any drawbacks to the K04? Check engine lights? I really don't want to screw up emissions inspections.

Quiet day today, just ironing out some things to keep rolling. Separated the transmission and swapped the flywheel on. I'm trying to decide what to do about the turbo....
Old 12-28-2017, 12:13 AM   #51
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 09 GLI
You're probably good with the new style tensioner, even with the older revision. You really dont hear of them failing ever really. But it would be way easier to change it while you have the engine out if you want the peace of mind.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:36 AM   #52
DASVDUB
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Basic GTI, loud exhaust
Would totally K04 if the engine is out. May as well while you're there.... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|Borla catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|Mud Flaps|Tiguan H&R lift springs (winter)
DASVDUB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:47 PM   #53
GreggGTI
Go Kart Newbie

Quote:
You're probably good with the new style tensioner, even with the older revision. You really dont hear of them failing ever really. But it would be way easier to change it
I agree on the 'peace of mind' angle, but the one revision is great for now and I'm ready to be done with this project! It's going too slow lately, too many holdups.

Another slow day today. Went into it with, as always, the greatest intentions. Broke an exhaust stud reinstalling the exhaust manifold. Man that sucked. It broke flush, minus two threads, so it was sunk into the head. I tried drilling and then the bit got stuck in there too. That was enough, brought the motor to a shop for removal. Hoping to have it back mid-day tomorrow to continue. It's reinstall everything time, coming soon!

Last edited by GreggGTI; 12-28-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:59 AM   #54
wmssbr10
Ready to race!

Drives: 2010 GTI
Was it the drivers side stud that broke? On my K04 swap I found that stud broke. Tow to shop and $400 later it was out. Your tensioner looks just like the one I ordered and installed last month from DAP. I have a 2010 and the old tensioner looked like it was in good shape but for piece of mind I replaced it.
wmssbr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #55
GreggGTI
Go Kart Newbie

Yes, it was the driver's side. Top left looking at the manifold. Sheared off inside. I found a local engine machine shop that took it in and said no problem. Good, cause I was out of options! $400, hopefully not!
The tensioner that failed on my 2012 was the early style, probably the same as your 2010. Good move changing yours. I'm gonna let mine ride.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #56
wmssbr10
Ready to race!

Drives: 2010 GTI
I agree with letting it ride. Looks exactly like the new one I got. My stud was broke just inside head also. Extractor broke while I tried to get it out. I think it took the shop 4 or 5 hours to get stud out and new one in. Couldn't complain about price as the shop let me clean up block, put the new turbo on and all the brackets and heat shield and the turbo outlet pipe while the car was still on the lift. So easy if you have a lift. Needless to say I don't .
wmssbr10 is offline   Reply With Quote