GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 12-13-2017, 11:26 AM   #15
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
I'd probably do it again. I'm really deep in my car at this point and for a racecar it's probably the wrong platform. Don't get me wrong, after you do literally everything on it the car is great at the track. It's a hefty investment with no return though.
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:32 AM   #16
brobst
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: CSG mk6 6MT
I probably would have saved more and gotten the R in retrospect. But if I went back in time yeah the gti is still my car. Perhaps I do my mod order a little differently but I see the same end product again.
It's been fun

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Superior interior is like 500hp at the wheels doe
brobst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #17
OhioMK6
Oval Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI - 2DR Manual
I have 117K miles now and I have no regrets. Can't think of another car that I'd want in this price range.
Stratified Tune | SouthBend Stage 2 Daily Clutch | ECS Tuning Intake - SPM Downpipe - Corsa RSC Catback - GFB DV+ - Audi R8 Coils + NGK IX Plugs - Koni Coilovers - 3SDM 0.06 Wheels - Hankook Evo V12 - HAWK
HPS 5.0 Pads - ECS Tuning SS Brake Lines - Ziza Golf R Tails - ECS Tuning Street Shield - Eonon GA5153f Android Headunit
OhioMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #18
jay745
Mod Flanders

I must be the only one that is very happy I started on a gti platform instead of the R.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:48 AM   #19
gijoewoz
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2005 Impreza RS
I've only had mine for 6 months, so take this with a grain of salt.

I came from an '05 Impreza RS, no turbo, only 165 hp, but AWD. The Impreza was a really fun car to drive. Since it didn't have a ton of power, or turbo lag of any sort, you could use all of the power, and the Impreza was happy to do it.

I'm really enjoying the GTI, it's put together much better than the Impreza, the interior is much nicer, it's quieter, and obviously much faster. However, I really miss the Impreza, as slow and rattly as it was. Subaru's AWD is great, not just in bad weather, but in dry weather it will pull you around a corner in a way that the GTI just can't do (I'm not saying it's necessarily faster around corners, but cornering is more fun). The problem with the the GTI is the the power and the front wheel drive, you really need to be almost all the way out of a corner before even thinking about getting on the throttle. The power from the GTI is more 'all or nothing" it's tough to go quickly without going too quickly and spinning the tires. The line between "come on!" and looking like an asshole is fine one. Another issue is that since the Subaru was "rally inspired" you didn't need perfectly smooth blacktop. I could drive that car hard, everywhere. The GTI feels like it's going to break with every pothole or manhole cover. As well built as it is, bumps in the road really make it feel delicate compared to the Impreza.

So, after only 6 months and not having driven the GTI through a Colorado winter yet, I would have to think really hard about another GTI. Time will tell, there are some things I love about this car, but a WRX is beginning to look even more appealing that it was when I was shopping in June.
gijoewoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #20
aj_law
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 Tornado Red 4DR 6MT GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoewoz View Post
I've only had mine for 6 months, so take this with a grain of salt.

I came from an '05 Impreza RS, no turbo, only 165 hp, but AWD. The Impreza was a really fun car to drive. Since it didn't have a ton of power, or turbo lag of any sort, you could use all of the power, and the Impreza was happy to do it.

I'm really enjoying the GTI, it's put together much better than the Impreza, the interior is much nicer, it's quieter, and obviously much faster. However, I really miss the Impreza, as slow and rattly as it was. Subaru's AWD is great, not just in bad weather, but in dry weather it will pull you around a corner in a way that the GTI just can't do (I'm not saying it's necessarily faster around corners, but cornering is more fun). The problem with the the GTI is the the power and the front wheel drive, you really need to be almost all the way out of a corner before even thinking about getting on the throttle. The power from the GTI is more 'all or nothing" it's tough to go quickly without going too quickly and spinning the tires. The line between "come on!" and looking like an asshole is fine one. Another issue is that since the Subaru was "rally inspired" you didn't need perfectly smooth blacktop. I could drive that car hard, everywhere. The GTI feels like it's going to break with every pothole or manhole cover. As well built as it is, bumps in the road really make it feel delicate compared to the Impreza.

So, after only 6 months and not having driven the GTI through a Colorado winter yet, I would have to think really hard about another GTI. Time will tell, there are some things I love about this car, but a WRX is beginning to look even more appealing that it was when I was shopping in June.
Once you've driven an AWD vehicle, pretty much anything other than that will have a hard time measuring up performance~wise. Based on what you've said, IMO, if you bought an R, you wouldn't be giving the Impreza a second look. Unfortunately, there's the little matter of the price difference between the GTI and the R...which is also why I didn't go for the R too.

Oh, and just a warning, if you're in Colorado, I suggest you hop on a set of winters. You definitely won't be happy with the GTI trying to navigate a Colorado winter coming from an AWD ride. Winters mitigate that a bit.

As to the question presented by the OP, even considering everything I've dealt with on this car, I would definitely do it again. One of my favorite cars that I've owned and I've had around a dozen of them.
('12 4DR/TR/6MT GTI - MEMBER OF THE 125K+ MILE CLUB) WISHLIST (bolded done...lol): Performance - Unitronic Stage 1 & CAI // Unibrace UB // DG springs // H&R 26FSB/22RSB // Tyrolsport Subframe Kit ||| Cosmetic - OZ Leggera HLT // Color matched markers/lip // Black emblems/grille stripes // OEM R Tinted LED tails // Raceseng Ashiko shift knob // 30% tint // Soundaktor delete
aj_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #21
gijoewoz
Drag Racing Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_law View Post
Once you've driven an AWD vehicle, pretty much anything other than that will have a hard time measuring up performance~wise. Based on what you've said, IMO, if you bought an R, you wouldn't be giving the Impreza a second look. Unfortunately, there's the little matter of the price difference between the GTI and the R...which is also why I didn't go for the R too.

Oh, and just a warning, if you're in Colorado, I suggest you hop on a set of winters. You definitely won't be happy with the GTI trying to navigate a Colorado winter coming from an AWD ride. Winters mitigate that a bit.

As to the question presented by the OP, even considering everything I've dealt with on this car, I would definitely do it again. One of my favorite cars that I've owned and I've had around a dozen of them.
The Subaru went anywhere, in any weather with just good all seasons. I've already got some good winter tires for the GTI, but the weather is being strange so it looks like I put them on too early. We'll see how a GTI with good snow tires compares to a Subaru with all seasons pretty soon ( I expect to be safe, but not impressed). This winter will have a lot to say about weather or not I keep the VW.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #22
aj_law
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 Tornado Red 4DR 6MT GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoewoz View Post
The Subaru went anywhere, in any weather with just good all seasons. I've already got some good winter tires for the GTI, but the weather is being strange so it looks like I put them on too early. We'll see how a GTI with good snow tires compares to a Subaru with all seasons pretty soon ( I expect to be safe, but not impressed). This winter will have a lot to say about weather or not I keep the VW.
Of course...not surprising at all. Again, AWD is gold. I had an Audi A4 ultra sport with high performance all seasons that the only time it got stuck was when the snow just got too deep and turned me into a snowplow.

Set those expectations low. FWD with winters is decent and should get you where you want to go, but it's not in the same ballpark as AWD.
('12 4DR/TR/6MT GTI - MEMBER OF THE 125K+ MILE CLUB) WISHLIST (bolded done...lol): Performance - Unitronic Stage 1 & CAI // Unibrace UB // DG springs // H&R 26FSB/22RSB // Tyrolsport Subframe Kit ||| Cosmetic - OZ Leggera HLT // Color matched markers/lip // Black emblems/grille stripes // OEM R Tinted LED tails // Raceseng Ashiko shift knob // 30% tint // Soundaktor delete
aj_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #23
zef
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI
Happy here. I bought my mk6 for a steal. Even after dumping tons of money into mods ($4k into the DSG alone), I still am not anywhere close to a new MK7R (or even a MK7 GTI). And at this point in my build, the MK7 GTI wouldn't provide any real benefit since my motor is being built, I have bigger brakes, LSD, etc etc.

Though it would've been nice to have started off with an all around better platform, it was hard to justify spending another 15K on just the price of the car alone. I'd rather build and tailor it to how I want.

Also, a properly setup FWD car can be just as fast around a track as RWD/AWD (as the new Type R perfectly demonstrated).
'13 GTI CW 2 DR (DSG) - Eurodyne Stage 2/APR DSG Tune | APR Clutch Packs | WAVETRAC LSD | Cobb TBE | IE CAI | IE FDS IC | 034 CC | VWR Subframe Pucks | 034 SD Mounts | MSS SPRING KIT (learn more here) | 034 Pendulum Mount | Supaloy Control Arms | B6 Passat Front Spindles | Koni Yellows | RSE10 | more to come! Follow me on Instagram!: jg_gti
zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #24
jay745
Mod Flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by zef View Post
Also, a properly setup FWD car can be just as fast around a track as RWD/AWD (as the new Type R perfectly demonstrated).
I've proven this to be true many many times.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #25
gijoewoz
Drag Racing Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zef View Post
Happy here. I bought my mk6 for a steal. Even after dumping tons of money into mods ($4k into the DSG alone), I still am not anywhere close to a new MK7R (or even a MK7 GTI). And at this point in my build, the MK7 GTI wouldn't provide any real benefit since my motor is being built, I have bigger brakes, LSD, etc etc.

Though it would've been nice to have started off with an all around better platform, it was hard to justify spending another 15K on just the price of the car alone. I'd rather build and tailor it to how I want.

Most of us don't spend a lot of time on the track, and in the real world a powerful FWD car has some drawbacks. I'm not all that concerned about a how fast the car is around the track, I care about how it is to drive daily. I do love this car, but so far it hasn't firmly established itself as better than my older, slower Impreza. Time will tell.

All of this is to help the OP with his/her question "if you had to do it all again, would you?" my answer is: as good as the car is, I'm not so sure it's the right car for me considering where I live.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:36 PM   #26
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
I must be the only one that is very happy I started on a gti platform instead of the R.
I had a good budget when choosing and chose a new GTI over anything else specifically because I knew I wanted to dump money into it. S0 many reasons.
Among them:
- its a great stock car
- its not a collectible or anything so I can go wild and not feel bad at all about driving it to the fullest
- track expenditures are not expensive in comparison to other vehicles
- with simple, easy bolt ons, a GTI is faster than a Golf R while still being easier and cheaper to maintain
- fwd makes no difference really on a road course compared to rwd or awd for me
- fwd is much more practical on the street in daily situations
Old 12-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #27
jay745
Mod Flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownish View Post
I had a good budget when choosing and chose a new GTI over anything else specifically because I knew I wanted to dump money into it. S0 many reasons.
Among them:
- its a great stock car
- its not a collectible or anything so I can go wild and not feel bad at all about driving it to the fullest
- with simple, easy bolt ons, a GTI is faster than a Golf R while still being easier and cheaper to maintain

Clownish for president 2020!
Old 12-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #28
gijoewoz
Drag Racing Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownish View Post
Among them:
- its a great stock car
I can agree with everything except the last statement. I'd rather have AWD, or RWD (as long as the climate is dry) over FWD any day.