GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 12-28-2017, 02:10 AM   #1
Tony48
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI
Rough Idle / Misfires after Timing Chain Replacement

UPDATE: See comment below. Car is running fine now (12/29).

Hello everyone, I've been diagnosing a problem with my GTI all day and haven't had any luck. This is going to be a long post so first some background:

A few days ago I did a full timing chain service. It wasn't too bad since I was well prepared and followed the service manual to a tee. New camshaft chain/tensioner/rails and new balancer shaft chain/tensioner/rails. Cam bridge screen was intact so I left it as-is. Also replaced the diverter valve while I was there. Put everything back together and the engine turned over and ran smoothly (whew!). This was late at night so my test drive was delayed until the next morning. I drove around for about 15mins through varying RPM and boost levels. Car felt better than it ever had before. I was ecstatic.

Next time I drove the car was yesterday night and before I can even get out of the driveway I get a flashing CEL and super lumpy running motor. Break out the VAGCOM cable and I have p0300, p0301, p0302, p0303, p0304 codes for misfires in all 4 cylinders and random/multiple misfires.

I figure it's a boost or vacuum leak from something i bumped loose so I go back and check everything. I pull the plugs and coilpacks and run a compression test. 175-180 psi across all cylinders -- fine there. Switch my diverter valve back to the old one to rule that out.

I continue running the car trying to get it to throw more codes. Idle is a little rough and when I start moving (putting the engine under load) engine gets super lumpy within a few seconds (boost gauge flicking around from 0psi to a few in-Hg vacuum) and feels like a vacuum leak. It only lasts a few seconds before it goes away but it always comes back when I put the engine under load. After a dozen or so of these bucking sessions I finally get it to throw a code. More misfire codes and P052A:

001322 - Camshaft Adj. Bank 1 Intake
P052A - 000 - Cold-Start Timing not Reached
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 171065 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2014.14.02
Time: 18:02:32

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1005 /min
Load: 32.1 %
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 49.0C
Temperature: 27.0C
Absolute Pres.: 1020.0 mbar
Voltage: 14.097 V

Now I'm thinking it's timing related so I pull the cam cover and cam bridge back off to check timing. They're perfectly fine, just where they should be (factory spec 124-126mm between intake and exhaust cam markings). I'm stumped. Perhaps it's an issue with the camshaft adjustment system (cam bridge, n205 valve, camshaft adjuster magnet) or a faulty PCV? I tried disconnecting the PCV connection at the intake manifold and plugging the manifold but that didn't help. Anything else I can do to test the PCV? I'm going to put it all back together, run the car, and log block 091 to check my intake timing. If it's pegged at a certain angle despite what the ECU requests then I'll replace the n205 valve. Any way I can test the n205 valve or camshaft adjuster magnet now while they're off the car?

If you managed to read all of that kudos and thank you! I really hope I can get this resolved soon! I've added some pictures of the timing chain job for your visual stimulation!

IMG_20171227_210936 by Tony G, on Flickr
IMG_20171224_154305 by Tony G, on Flickr

All of the old pieces:
IMG_20171226_120127 by Tony G, on Flickr

The fresh system with new chains/tensioners/guides:
IMG_20171225_142441 by Tony G, on Flickr

Last edited by Tony48; 12-29-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Tony48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
Tony48
Rally Car Newbie

UPDATE: The car is now running just fine. Not sure exactly what the problem was but everything ran perfectly after I cleaned & reassembled the camshaft bridge, N205 valve, camshaft cover, and camshaft adjuster magnet. My best guess is that the N205 valve was stuck in an incorrect position and retarding timing. Unfortunately I did not log block 091 (intake cam timing) before tearing the system apart, but after the rebuild it is logging correctly. Hopefully this helps someone out in the future.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:36 AM   #3
Dans GTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6
Could it be the cam magnet on its way out?
2010 MK6 GTI 6MT: APR Stage 2.4 High Output : eBay special downpipe : IE Intake : R8 Coils : BKR7EIX : DWS06 : 034 Dog Bone Mount : 034 Dog Bone Insert : StopTech Brake Pads : SPM CatBack : Sachs ZF Clutch : Diesel Geek Short Shifter : GFB DV + : Clutch Stop :
Dans GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:47 AM   #4
Tony48
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans GTI View Post
Could it be the cam magnet on its way out?
Potentially, but for now it's working. If I start getting the same symptoms I'll probably replace the cam magnet and/or N205 valve.