GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 12-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
grandiaddict

Drives: 2013 GTI
Recurring intake manifold issue

Has anyone else had issues with their mk6 intake manifold?

I first had mine replaced by the dealership around 40k miles when it was somehow leaking oil. It was then replaced again at around 85k miles when some kind of lever inside stopped moving properly (I'm not entirely familiar with how they work).

Now I'm at 110k miles and the CEL is back on - once again...for the intake manifold. The part itself is covered under warranty, but I'm pretty sure I'll still be paying my mechanic for their work. I've had so many problems with this car that I can't help but laugh at this point.
grandiaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:16 PM   #2
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI 2 door 6 speed
What's the fault code you are getting?

If you have to pay for labor anyway it's probably a good time for a carbon cleaning. Unless you have done that recently.
2010 GTI 6MT CW 2 DR | APR Stage 2, DP, Cabonio Intake, Catch Can, Pendulum | WaveTrac LSD | Southbend Stage 2 Daily | DieselGeek Sigma 6 | AWE Catback DBT | Neuspeed Hi-Flo | ARM FMIC, TOP | NewSouth Boost Gauge | 034 Dogbone, Subframe, Engine/Tranny Mounts | TyrolSport Master Bracket | "R8" Coils
gtimk6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:54 PM   #3
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 09 GLI
I know they have released multiple revision anf fixes but I dont think failures have ever been 100% resolved
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
grandiaddict

Drives: 2013 GTI
I haven't checked the code myself yet. So far, just going off what the mechanic told me. I had the carbon cleaning done around 80k miles. It had gotten to the point where it wouldn't start consistently and would randomly stall out. Hopefully I won't have to do that again until the 150k mark.

Thanks for the responses. Just wanted to try and get a gauge on whether or not other folks have had repeated issues like I have.
grandiaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:52 PM   #5
Mk6 Steve
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 Black GTI coupe DSG
I would imagine there is a way to determine if you have the latest revision installed. If you don't have the latest revision you could possibly ask your shop to order the updated intake manifold. Just provide them the part number. Its worth a shot.
APR V3.1, APR K04, Carbonio Stg 1 + 2 w/ AEM dry-flo filter, APR RSC TBE, Do88 Ic, 034 Catch Can Kit (summer), OEM pcv "AH" (winter) AWE S3 top, Neuspeed charge pipe, Rev D, R8 coils w/ NGK 2668, 034 motor/trans mounts, HPA 75A, TyrolSport subframe and brake stiffening kit, Unibrace UB, F+R Centric w/ StopTech Strt pads, USP SS brake lines, Depo dark cherry tails, ECS Blind Spot Mirrors, Enkei 18x8 black M52 w/ Conti DWS, Soundaktor delete, VCDS Hex-Can, P3 gauge
Mk6 Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:31 PM   #6
OhioMK6
Oval Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI - 2DR Manual
They released a completely revised version of the manifold around spring 2017 that you can see here: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ntake_manifold

Here's a good video showing the new version and its differences: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IVxPqriZkk

My manifold failed around 60K, again at 112K. Finally, they put the new version on with no issues yet. Conveniently I got discounted carbon cleanings both times!

Both times were 100% free labor and parts for the manifold swap.
Stratified Tune | SouthBend Stage 2 Daily Clutch | ECS Tuning Intake - SPM Downpipe - Corsa RSC Catback - GFB DV+ - Audi R8 Coils + NGK IX Plugs - Koni Coilovers - 3SDM 0.06 Wheels - Hankook Evo V12 - HAWK
HPS 5.0 Pads - ECS Tuning SS Brake Lines - Ziza Golf R Tails - ECS Tuning Street Shield - Eonon GA5153f Android Headunit
OhioMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote