GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 02-07-2018, 09:35 PM   #1
Cbozman22
Ready to race!

Drives: 2010 gti
Please help me

I have a mk6 gti that will not start for shit it cranks for about 10 sec every time before starting 80000 miles on it and tends to start right up when itís freezing cold and doesnít want to start when warm itís throwing 7 check engine codes all for the bank1 sensor2 and a stuck lean code please help me this is driving me crazy (already tried priming fuel pump starting with gas pedal down and with a battery charger attached) also when I got the cel codes cleared it started up perfect until the cel came back on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cbozman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:33 PM   #2
cwininger
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2010 GTI
have you replaced any parts recently?

pcv valve, coils and plugs are common failures around this mileage. all pretty cheap and easy to replace. just make sure to get genuine VW/audi parts for all of the above. i would start there and see if it solves the problem.

i've been going through hell with my '10 gti the last couple of weeks and have learned a lot about the stuff i listed. any one of those things going bad will make your car run like absolute crap.
cwininger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:36 PM   #3
Cbozman22
Ready to race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwininger View Post
have you replaced any parts recently?

pcv valve, coils and plugs are common failures around this mileage. all pretty cheap and easy to replace. just make sure to get genuine VW/audi parts for all of the above. i would start there and see if it solves the problem.

i've been going through hell with my '10 gti the last couple of weeks and have learned a lot about the stuff i listed. any one of those things going bad will make your car run like absolute crap.

Iíll try that should I do the o2 sensor too?

Old 02-08-2018, 07:34 AM   #4
cwininger
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2010 GTI
what are the exact codes it's throwing?
cwininger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
Cbozman22
Ready to race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwininger View Post
what are the exact codes it's throwing?

P0141
P0140
P0138
P2270

Old 02-08-2018, 12:19 PM   #6
Cbozman22
Ready to race!

Update just checked the pcv valve by opening the oil cap while running and it idled rough meaning itís fine going to change spark plugs and could next, could the o2 sensor cause this being when I cleared the codes it ran fine?

Old 02-08-2018, 12:35 PM   #7
jon570
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 Gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbozman22 View Post
Update just checked the pcv valve by opening the oil cap while running and it idled rough meaning itís fine going to change spark plugs and could next, could the o2 sensor cause this being when I cleared the codes it ran fine?

I would try changing the o2 sensor. Seems like the cars not getting signal from it. Change it, clear the codes and drive.
jon570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:37 PM   #8
jon570
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 Gti
When your cars in open loop (waiting for the 02 and exhaust to heat up) the ECU doesnt listen to the oxygen sensor which is why it runs fine cold. Once it heats up and goes into closed loop and tries to get info from the o2, it cant. so this is is when your issue starts.
jon570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:41 PM   #9
thatspsychotic
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '11 GTI 4DR DSG, '14 Forester XT
Other potential causes for long crank before start are fuel filter that needs to be replaced, as well as a failed check valve in the fuel pump that allows fuel to drain back into the tank when the car is turned off.
Present: APR Stage 1+ v2.4 | APR Carbonio | R8 Coils | GFB DV+ | Unibrace UB | Tyrolsport Deadset | SuperPro Offset LCA Bushings | Enkei Raijin Gunmetal 18x8 et45 | Michelin PSS 245/35R18 | NewSouth Perf. Mech Boost Gauge

Future: ST Coilovers | H&R 26/22mm Swaybars | APR/ECS Catch Can
thatspsychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:04 PM   #10
Cbozman22
Ready to race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatspsychotic View Post
Other potential causes for long crank before start are fuel filter that needs to be replaced, as well as a failed check valve in the fuel pump that allows fuel to drain back into the tank when the car is turned off.

Usually when thatís the case you can floor the gas and try and start it which doesnít work in my case and Iíve already tried priming the pump 6+times then starting which also doesnít work and I can hear my
Pump turn on every time