GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do i need a new bumper cover?

Howcanifixthis?

Passed Driver's Ed
So i slid off the road into a ditch and popped back out during a snow storm earlier this month. All the weight of the car was on the front right bumper as i went into the ditch. This caused a screw and washer to rip through the actual bumper cover ---> https://imgur.com/RloZiqU I got under the car and popped what i guess would be called valance covers back into place. If the screw wouldn't have ripped through the bumper cover I think i would be golden. However with the damage to the cover I don't think i can fix this without replacing it. It all snaps back into place but won't hold after driving obviously so im fairy certain that's the only broken piece. Could have been worse i guess. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here. Thanks

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I'd use a large flat washer or a strip of metal with the proper sized hole & bolt it back on. I assume that the place the screw attaches to is still there.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
That's a pretty slick 3M product. If the washer or strip of metal caveman repair fails the OP could use the wizard chemistry.

Howcanifixthis?

Passed Driver's Ed
There's lots of products and information that focus on plastic bumper tab repair. https://youtu.be/qQtroDoX8fc

Just watched the video... I think i could reconstruct the "tab" like they did. It would mold the ripped out part where the screw would go to hold the bumper in place. Thanks for your help. Still haven't had time to attempt any repairs. I think I will go to a hardware store and by a few washers and try that method. It might be a easier.

Last edited:

lukesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
This is a 1 minute fix with some metal screws

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
looks like it just broke through it anyways..

1) Remove screw from inner bumper where that clip broke off
2) pop bumper back into place and line it up where screw goes
3) Screw has a large head on it and will still hold that bumper in place I would bet
4) Worth a try before doing anything else - you might be good to go

spopinski

Passed Driver's Ed
Ouch..

Yes you can try washers but make sure the old ripped tab is still strong enough and won't tear.

I will suggest something like this to grip both lips and screw