GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-30-2018, 02:31 PM   #15
thatspsychotic
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '11 GTI 4DR DSG, '14 Forester XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
^x2 from what i understand.

From what i've found researching LSD costs, it appears to cost around 1000 for labor. again, having the trans already out will be a factor in that of course, maybe another 500 to install one?

My PCV clogged recently (full and frozen catch can) and now i'm starting to see spots in my driveway... uhoh - might be in a similar boat to you lol
If your catch can eliminates the pipe from the intake manifold to the PCV plate, then it wouldn't be caused by crankcase pressurization from PCV failure. If it retains that pipe though, or any other way for your PCV plate to see boost pressure, you may be in that boat. Most catch cans should eliminate that risk though.

However there are a lot of ways these cars can leak oil. Lower timing cover, upper timing cover, cam cover seal, rear PCV hose, camshaft position sensor is known to leak oil as well... I recall the 2.5L base engines can have oil sump seal leaks, not sure if the 2.0TSI has that issue. Pretty sure my car has slow leaks/weeping from most of those areas. One day when I'm bored I'll degrease the engine and check to see which ones are active/bad enough to do anything about.
Present: APR Stage 1+ v2.4 | APR Carbonio | R8 Coils | GFB DV+ | Unibrace UB | Tyrolsport Deadset | SuperPro Offset LCA Bushings | Enkei Raijin Gunmetal 18x8 et45 | Michelin PSS 245/35R18 | NewSouth Perf. Mech Boost Gauge

Future: ST Coilovers | H&R 26/22mm Swaybars | APR/ECS Catch Can
thatspsychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:52 PM   #16
thatspsychotic

Finally reached under the car with my phone, looks like rear main seal leak is confirmed. I assume the actual interface between the engine and trans is further up and still hidden in this photo, but there is a fairly significant amount of oil in that area and it's to the point that I'm seeing oil spots under my car wherever I park now. Also even though there's a bunch of oil on the transmission case itself, I've smelled it and it's definitely engine oil.

To do this job, I assume the following have to be removed:
  • Pendulum mount
  • Transmission mount (?)
  • Axles (?)
  • A bunch of other stuff on top of the gearbox to provide clearance and get at the bolts

To save on common labor I'm planning to add in the APR pendulum mount and either Torque Solutions or BFI engine/trans mounts, and if there is common labor, potentially the Tyrolsport deadset and SuperPro LCA bushings. Anything else obvious to include?

Present: APR Stage 1+ v2.4 | APR Carbonio | R8 Coils | GFB DV+ | Unibrace UB | Tyrolsport Deadset | SuperPro Offset LCA Bushings | Enkei Raijin Gunmetal 18x8 et45 | Michelin PSS 245/35R18 | NewSouth Perf. Mech Boost Gauge

Last edited by thatspsychotic; 02-01-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:45 PM   #17
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatspsychotic View Post
Finally reached under the car with my phone, looks like rear main seal leak is confirmed. I assume the actual interface between the engine and trans is further up and still hidden in this photo, but there is a fairly significant amount of oil in that area and it's to the point that I'm seeing oil spots under my car wherever I park now. Also even though there's a bunch of oil on the transmission case itself, I've smelled it and it's definitely engine oil.

To do this job, I assume the following have to be removed:
  • Pendulum mount
  • Transmission mount (?)
  • Axles (?)
  • A bunch of other stuff on top of the gearbox to provide clearance and get at the bolts

To save on common labor I'm planning to add in the APR pendulum mount and either Torque Solutions or BFI engine/trans mounts, and if there is common labor, potentially the Tyrolsport deadset and SuperPro LCA bushings. Anything else obvious to include?

Picture doesnít show!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:49 PM   #18
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Newbie

This is where you will see oil if the seal is shot! It also gets onto the pendulum mount from air pushing the oil when driven.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:07 PM   #19
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Newbie

If the rear main is leaking it will be excessive crank case pressure that caused it, this is nearly always down to a failed PCV! I had a new revision genuine PCV fitted to try and address an oil burning issue (it was actually burning oil for a different reason in the end) the PCV failed very soon after (around 6000miles) and took the rear main with it! VW replaced the PCV for free but of course didnít pay for the rear main, if itís the rear main leaking you should always change the PCV too.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:39 PM   #20
thatspsychotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
If the rear main is leaking it will be excessive crank case pressure that caused it, this is nearly always down to a failed PCV! I had a new revision genuine PCV fitted to try and address an oil burning issue (it was actually burning oil for a different reason in the end) the PCV failed very soon after (around 6000miles) and took the rear main with it! VW replaced the PCV for free but of course didn’t pay for the rear main, if it’s the rear main leaking you should always change the PCV too.

edit: fixed image

I actually changed the PCV probably 2 years ago, but yes I'm actually considering a catch can for the specific purpose of preventing the PCV plate from seeing boost and having this issue again.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:43 PM   #21
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatspsychotic View Post
Did you mean that you can't see the photo I took? It loads fine for me but it might be something with Google Photos.

I actually changed the PCV probably 2 years ago, but yes I'm actually considering a catch can for the specific purpose of preventing the PCV plate from seeing boost and having this issue again.

Which ever route you choose, PCV or CC, make sure itís done at the same time as the seal.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:46 PM   #22
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Newbie

Yeah, canít see the photo, the screen looks like this,

Old 02-01-2018, 05:57 PM   #23
thatspsychotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
Yeah, can’t see the photo
Should be fixed in previous post, and here it is again, as close as I could get without jacking up the car:

So yeah there's pretty much a bunch of oil everywhere.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:05 PM   #24
Carlosfandango
FIA GT Newbie

Obviously it looks a little different than my picture due to it being a DSG but Iíd be confident thatís a failed rear main as long as there is no oil higher up.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #25
thatspsychotic

Another update, just this morning the car threw a P2187 System Too Lean at Idle code, probably confirming that the PCV is kaput. Another symptom is intermettent higher idle speed to about 1000 RPM then dropping to 850 RPM.

Agree/disagree with the PCV as likely culprit? With the rear main seal failure as the corroborating symptom it seems quite likely.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:38 AM   #26
zef
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI
iabed industries has a bulletproof solution for a leaking RMS. I had mine done when my clutch packs and LSD were installed. It's only about ~$100 but you'll never have to worry about it again

https://www.excelerateperformance.co...-seal-solution
'13 GTI CW 2 DR (DSG) - Eurodyne Stage 2/APR DSG Tune | APR Clutch Packs | WAVETRAC LSD | Cobb TBE | IE CAI | IE FDS IC | 034 CC | VWR Subframe Pucks | 034 SD Mounts | MSS SPRING KIT (learn more here) | 034 Pendulum Mount | Supaloy Control Arms | B6 Passat Front Spindles | Koni Yellows | RSE10 | more to come! Follow me on Instagram!: jg_gti
zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:41 PM   #27
Tony48
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by zef View Post
iabed industries has a bulletproof solution for a leaking RMS. I had mine done when my clutch packs and LSD were installed. It's only about ~$100 but you'll never have to worry about it again

https://www.excelerateperformance.co...-seal-solution
I installed an iAbed RMS a few thousand miles ago and am glad I shouldn't have to ever worry about it again. Check out the "Clutch & RMS Replacement Tips" link in my signature for pics of the part and process in my build thread.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:52 PM   #28
thatspsychotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony48 View Post
I installed an iAbed RMS a few thousand miles ago and am glad I shouldn't have to ever worry about it again. Check out the "Clutch & RMS Replacement Tips" link in my signature for pics of the part and process in my build thread.
Thanks, good info. I'll see what my shop recommends. I'm planning to have them do TyrolSport deadset subframe collars, SuperPro offset LCA bushings, APR pendulum mount, and either Torque Solutions or BFI engine/trans mounts at the same time, plus an alignment of course, so dropping the subframe may actually save overall labor due to overlap for the other work. I'm also considering a catch can for the specific purpose of protecting the replacement OEM PCV system from ever seeing boost pressure again.

Will probably end up being over $2k in parts and labor but I plan to keep this car for a long time, and those upgrades should make a noticeable improvement in handling, so it'll be worth the investment.