GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 01-30-2018, 10:13 PM   #1
JISUN_GTI
Ready to race!

Drives: 13 GTI wolfsburg edition
Indy 500 Review?

i am currently in Michelin Pilot A/S 3 and my thread is bald.

i order 19" Rotiform Wheel But its back order til March.

my current tire(18") cannot wait til March so i need a new Temporarily tire until
my new wheel come.

i found Fireston Indy 500 for $92 Each. i am currently in Stage 2

will Indy 500 can hold me?
Old 01-31-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
Lots of guys running those on the MK7 GTI's and they love them, especially for the price
Old 02-02-2018, 01:11 PM   #3
Lucky#Slevin
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 VW GTI 4DR DSG
I have been looking at tires for a new wheel setup in spring.. Are the regular Indy 500 all season? I see there is Indy 500 and wide oval Indy 500.. They both say all season? But to me the tread pattern of the reg Indy 500 looks like a summer tire.. Anyone kno or have experience?
Lucky#Slevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:32 PM   #4
red_stapler
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '12 GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JISUN_GTI View Post
i am currently in Stage 2

will Indy 500 can hold me?
If your only metric is being able to spin the tires from a 5mph roll like most GTI owners, you're probably fine. They're a good tire if you're looking for a summer-only tire. They're not quite up to autocross or trackdays though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky#Slevin View Post
I have been looking at tires for a new wheel setup in spring.. Are the regular Indy 500 all season? I see there is Indy 500 and wide oval Indy 500.. They both say all season? But to me the tread pattern of the reg Indy 500 looks like a summer tire.. Anyone kno or have experience?
Neither are an all season. The Wide Oval is the "old" Indy 500, and they are more of a poseur tire for Corvettes.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:17 PM   #5
Tyler12108
Oval Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
I've had the AS/3 and Pilot Super Sports and recently got the Indy 500s and they are great for the price.
Tyler12108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:41 PM   #6
Mk6_vic
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: Mk6 GTI 2011. 2-Door. Candy White
If you’re referring to the firehawk Indy 500 summer tire..I’ve had them on for abit and they are def worth it. Especially at the price point. They will hold you up and some more till March. I’m running a 235/35/19 on this set up and they’ve by far been my favorite tire set up. Granted I’ve only ran two set ups with this size. I had Dunlop sport maxxx rt before this and I gotta say these firehawk ma have been reigned supreme over them...I’d even recommend them for your new set up but that depends on where you live. Here in SoCal it’s summer all year long..
Mk6_vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:05 PM   #7
GroceryGTIer
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 black Wolfsburg
I have the BFG sport comp 2 A/S and they are a nice tire. Little bit of roll, but grip is good in all conditions.
GroceryGTIer is online now   Reply With Quote