GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing fuel injectors when carbon cleaning, good idea?

gti2015

Passed Driver's Ed
I know I need to get a carbon cleaning on my car since it has 75K miles and is misfiring. The shop I go to said as long as they're doing the carbon cleaning, they might as well replace the injectors. My car has a misfire on three different cylinders.

I'd like to know if you all think replacing the injectors is worth it? The ones that are on it are 7 years old and original to the car.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Sounds expensive. All of mine were still working when I did my carbon cleaning. I just cleaned the tips and put new seals on I didn't see a reason to replace them at all if they were working. I believe most 08-12 TSI cars have the 120k intake manifold and injector warranty anyway so I should be good for now anyway.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
The ElsaWin procedure tells you to put them in an ultrasonic cleaner bath. I might try to pick an ebay one up next time.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I know I need to get a carbon cleaning on my car since it has 75K miles and is misfiring. The shop I go to said as long as they're doing the carbon cleaning, they might as well replace the injectors. My car has a misfire on three different cylinders.

I'd like to know if you all think replacing the injectors is worth it? The ones that are on it are 7 years old and original to the car.

Not really a big fan of shops that spend your money without identifying a real need. They should get to the bottom of the misfire issue before commissioning the work. It is not worth replacing the injectors unless they have been proven to be bad. I suspect they will charge you 400 or so for new injectors and they are not a wear item per say. (just an opinion)

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
I'm at 161K miles... only had an issue with 1 injector that was replaced under warranty years ago... should I replace them all now at my cost? Ask the shop if they can ultrasonic clean? Or rag wipe and do o- ring when they are doing my carbon cleaning?

I don't have fuel issues. 90% highway driven.

Also doing timing chain, guides, tensioner too. Possibly going to Almost Racing or K&H to see Mario..