GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 02-06-2018, 10:25 AM   #1
gti2015
Autocross Newbie

Drives: gti
Replacing fuel injectors when carbon cleaning, good idea?

I know I need to get a carbon cleaning on my car since it has 75K miles and is misfiring. The shop I go to said as long as they're doing the carbon cleaning, they might as well replace the injectors. My car has a misfire on three different cylinders.

I'd like to know if you all think replacing the injectors is worth it? The ones that are on it are 7 years old and original to the car.
gti2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 09 GLI
Sounds expensive. All of mine were still working when I did my carbon cleaning. I just cleaned the tips and put new seals on I didn't see a reason to replace them at all if they were working. I believe most 08-12 TSI cars have the 120k intake manifold and injector warranty anyway so I should be good for now anyway.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
It certainly couldn't hurt. If I had the manifold off on my own car I would be replacing the injectors at the same time but thats just me.
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
Tony48
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
Instead of replacing injectors has anyone considered sending them out to be cleaned and tested? I believe there are companies that will clean/flow test injectors for much cheaper than buying new.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 09 GLI
The ElsaWin procedure tells you to put them in an ultrasonic cleaner bath. I might try to pick an ebay one up next time.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #6
GIACUser
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2008 MKV EFR7163
Quote:
Originally Posted by gti2015 View Post
I know I need to get a carbon cleaning on my car since it has 75K miles and is misfiring. The shop I go to said as long as they're doing the carbon cleaning, they might as well replace the injectors. My car has a misfire on three different cylinders.

I'd like to know if you all think replacing the injectors is worth it? The ones that are on it are 7 years old and original to the car.
Not really a big fan of shops that spend your money without identifying a real need. They should get to the bottom of the misfire issue before commissioning the work. It is not worth replacing the injectors unless they have been proven to be bad. I suspect they will charge you 400 or so for new injectors and they are not a wear item per say. (just an opinion)