GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Did the roads get bumpier, or are my shocks going?

TiCoyote

Ready to race!
I'm suddenly noticing the bumps a lot more. It seems like the rear of the car is hitting small bumps harder and knocking me up and down. Overall, the ride seems less smooth. It's not a vibration, just hitting bumps harder.

I drive a 2012 GTI SE, stock. Right now I have winter tires on: 17" General Altimax Artic. They're on their 3rd season.

Also, this problem came on suddenly. I just noticed it yesterday and today.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Could be the shocks/struts, but I'd probably attribute it to what old man winter does to New England roads. Potholes are a bitch.

If you're seeing "normal" suspension response when you go over a manhole, for example, it's probably just the bad potholes. If a minor bump like that is hammering back at you, then it's probably your suspension.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
These cars are prone to shocks failing.

Put a bunch of weight in the rear so it sags, measure both sides. mine was visually lower in rear left by like an inch. Confirmed taking it off car recently it was blown.

TiCoyote

Ready to race!
I'm kind of thinking a failing rear shock. The car is due for service in 2 months. Can I put it off until then?

How do I know if there is some other, more dangerous problem?

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
youll be fine, i dove on mine for months . lots of people drive on blown shocks and dont even know/care.

if its blown it wont want to rebound thats why i say put weight in the rear. like 200 lbs