GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best Replacement Hesdlights for me?

Zach0918

Ready to race!
I know there have been countless threads about headlights but many that I’ve read through are either outdated or don’t really answer my specific question. I am look to upgrade the headlights on my 2014 Golf to projectorsp plus HIDs. There seems to be many options (Spyder, Depo, Ed’s, Osram, OEM, ect.). One of my major concerns is lease quality and light output. I live near many dark roads and I would like to get some better visibity not just better looks. If I wanted to go the OEM or Osram route id have to do some saving but I’d rather do that then get something low quality. So given that and all the expierence people have with all these options which would be the best for me? As always, thanks guys!

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Besides Oem or Osram the rest are low quality and the light output on them suck especially Eds

CHerna

Ready to race!
Keep your eyes peeled for a set of used OEM's. You can fetch them for a reasonable price from time to time. Peasant headlights suck.

Zach0918

Ready to race!
Yeah I messed up and let some get away for 500...

Is that what you’d consider a deal for a used set?

CHerna

Ready to race!
Yeah 500 is a pretty good deal in my opinion. Especially if they come with all the stuff to make them plug and play for a halogen equipped car. If not, it's still a good deal. The DIY on the Vortex has a list of the stuff you need for the conversion.

KITEWAGON

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm in the exact same boat, only with the JSW I just got. I am in love with the headlights on my GTI with lighting package and would love to have the same thing on the wagon. Though I prefer the look of the Golf R lights without the circular patter of LED's.

I just came across the OSRAM lights. I think I prefer the OEM look of the R's, but I do kind of like this MK7 esque light. I'd love to see a picture of these installed on a JSW.

https://www.osram.com/am/light-for/led-lighting/ledriving-headlights/index.jsp

Any idea how much these cost or where they can be ordered? Are these plug and play?

I can do VCDS coding, but I'm intimidated by trying to go full OEM with the AFS that requires complicated changes and replacing the CECM, etc.

I'm also keeping an eye out for OEM Golf R headlights. I may post up a WTB thread to work on that search.

cchase__

Ready to race!
They're like $1000

The golf R headlights are $1000 from ecs

I would say if you want the OEM headlights and it has chrome, open them up and use rubbing alcohol to remove the chrome and revile gloss black.
They don't put clear coat on the chrome bits.

Last edited:

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Besides Oem or Osram the rest are low quality and the light output on them suck especially Eds

I don’t know, 50w morimoto hids in my Ed reps and my nighttime visibility is amazing. High beams with the full projector are literally daytime

Zach0918

Ready to race!
I don’t know, 50w morimoto hids in my Ed reps and my nighttime visibility is amazing. High beams with the full projector are literally daytime

I have heard great thing about the morimoto hid kit. The more I look into the xenons the more costly it seems. The headlights themselves are expensive enough but then I’m pretty sure I’d need to replace my Golf’s CECM. I was hoping a few people would be able to weigh in on other options other then xenon and osram.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I have heard great thing about the morimoto hid kit. The more I look into the xenons the more costly it seems. The headlights themselves are expensive enough but then I’m pretty sure I’d need to replace my Golf’s CECM. I was hoping a few people would be able to weigh in on other options then xenon and osram.
I replace my H7 bulbs with LEDs from Amazon several weeks ago and they are just what the doctor ordered and were only $130 :thumbup: Can't go wrong and they are plug and play in 15 minutes, no coding or adjustments required. I have no afiliation with any of the companies, I'm just a happy customer.

Canadian
https://www.amazon.ca/H7-LED-Conver...2177&sr=8-4&keywords=h7+led+headlights+for+vw

US
https://www.amazon.com/LASFIT-Headl...2074&sr=8-8&keywords=h7+led+headlights+for+vw

Last edited:

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
stick with OEM headlights, I went through a major ordeal to customize my 2011 headlights and ended up with 2012+ OEM headlights with DRL. I'm much happier with an OEM option tricked out with deautoLED bulbs. Photos on IG @becauseHYDE16

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
HYDE16 - thanks for the support. What you're showing is for the projector OEM housing. Zach0918 has the reflector housing as we just sent him a set of no-tap adapters for his H7RC kit he bought from a member.

We have the D2H coming out but our ballast setup has a thinner ballast and the HID bulb comes in 2 parts: bulb and wires. This makes it easier to install than Morimoto and have had a lot of great feedback.

Many people are choose us due to customer feedback - kit is here:
http://deautokey.com/product/h7-hid...7-including-but-not-limited-helix-ed-s-spyder

D2H review vs morimoto to come soon.

Thanks for the support

KITEWAGON

Passed Driver's Ed
Here is a headlight question for folks that I can't seem to find. For the OEM Golf R HID headlights WITHOUT the ring of LEDs, what is the daytime running light? For the life of me I can't seem to find a picture of what the non-LED Golf R lights look like in "DRL" mode. Can anyone help me out?

At this point unless I happen upon a set of used OSRAM lights (in black) I'm going to go the OEM route. I have mixed feelings on the LED ring of lights. I kind of like them and liked them on my GTI, but I also think they are starting to look dated and the non-LED version might look better in the long run.