GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 GTI - K04 Build

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
I've had the car for a few years now but just now getting around to putting a thread together. This car used to be my daily driver, and now the car is more track focused, however the car still needed to be streetable

IMG_2079.jpeg

Modifications as of 8/2023:

Engine:

APR K04
Cobb AP w/ Stratified Protune -93 Oct
APR Cast Downpipe
AWE Catback
Unitronic Intercooler
Neuspeed turbo outlet pipe
Carbonio Stage 1 Intake
R8 Coil Packs
iAbed Rear Main Seal
Supertech Valve Springs
Mk5 R32 Aux Radiator
Verus Hood Vents

Drivetrain:
Peloquin Limited Slip Differential
HS Tuning RSR Clutch
Spulen clutch bleeder block and stainless steel line
Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Shifter
BFI Stage 1 Engine / Trans Mounts
Neuspeed Dogbone Insert

Suspension / Chassis:
Racingline Springs
Koni Yellow Sport Dampers
Ground Control Camber Plates
Superpro ball joints
H&R 26mm / 24mm Sway bars
Superpro sway bar end links
Superpro Anti-Lift Kit
Subframe Collar Kit
Tyrolsport Hatch Brace
ECS Skidplate
O.Z. Omnia 17x8 ET50 Wheels
Michelin AS3 225/45r17 Tires
12mm front / 15mm rear spacers
-3.0 /-2.5 front/rear camber

Brakes:
Stoptech ST40 BBK
Stoptech stainless steel lines
G-LOC GS-1 Pads
Audi RS3 Brake Cooling ducts
Autotech wheel well vents
Motul RBF600 Fluid
Exterior:
Osram Xenarc Headlights
deAutoLED switchback fog lights
eBay fog light covers
Depo R LED Taillights
ECS Smoked Side Marker Lights
Gloss Black front and fear VW emblems
MK7 Performance Pack red GTI front and rear emblems

Interior / Diagnostics:
NewSouth Performance Boost Gauge & Vent Pod
NewSouth Performance Oil Pressure
Rennline Heel/Toe Extensions

Last edited:

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
I finally got around to walnut blasting last month. I have 67k miles and had been experiencing random misfires. The job took me about 10hrs, but I took my time and also replaced a few coolant hoses while I had the IM off. I did end up pulling the throttle body, but installed it on the IM before reinstall.

I went with a walnut blaster from Harbor Freight, connected to a BMW blaster wand with a modified shopvac attachment. Worked like a charm.

Side note: my 13MY GTI has the updated intake manifold with the revised runner flap stops.

Before and After

Before

After

New injector seals, and the cheap Ebay-special tool I used.

Blast wand setup I used.

Good time to change the oil after doing this job.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Here are some pictures from the RSR clutch, iAbed RMS, and Peloquin LSD install.

Love this setup!

New DMF, TDI disc, and TTRS pressure plate installed

Also, I installed the SuperPro ALK while I was under the car. Can't say enough about the quality of these mounts.

H&R 24mm rear swaybar install.

Last edited:

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Here are a few videos from the last track event of the season last year at the VIR Grand Course. I'm not yet solo'd on the Grand Course, so I had an instructor this event. The first video I was following a friend in his big turbo mk5 GTI.

https://youtu.be/4EQpPStRjUk
https://youtu.be/sa_WoomUAOw

These were pre-LSD install, and I'll be going back in April to do the Full Course.

Last edited:

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Cool build man, glad to see a string of track minded GTI owners popping up on here.

Could you refer me to what hidden hitch part # you used? I've been looking for something similar and couldn't find anything that told me would fit. 4 spare wheels/tires, coolers, tent, etc, fill up the hatch quite quickly lol!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
NICE upgrades! how you liking the LSD, daily driving and on the track?

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Could you refer me to what hidden hitch part # you used? I've been looking for something similar and couldn't find anything that told me would fit. 4 spare wheels/tires, coolers, tent, etc, fill up the hatch quite quickly lol!

This is the one I'm running: Hidden Hitch 60330

I agree that the car fills up fast, and having a utility trailer or hitch-mount cargo carrier can be a huge help.

NICE upgrades! how you liking the LSD, daily driving and on the track?

Thanks! I can't say enough how much the LSD changed the dynamics of the car, both on the street and track. It's my favorite modification by far. Before the LSD, the car wasn't very confidence inspiring in the corners because it would just push/understeer. Now, I can help use the throttle to steer the car toward the apex rather than just hoping the car doesn't push through. The other huge difference is accelerating out of corner when the inside tire used to just spin, now that power is put down by both wheels. It's an amazing feeling and eliminates the disadvantage of FWD. I've heard some people say that they didn't notice a difference on the street with an LSD. I'm definitely not one of those people, because I notice it every sweeping turn and off ramp I encounter. :laugh:

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
I don't do many appearance mods, but since I was going for a mk6 "Performance Package" setup, I thought the mk7 emblems would be fitting. :D

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Installed a Rennline Throttle Pedal Cover and Heel/Toe Extension last week. Credit to
jay745 for the heads up on the company. After driving around for a week or so, it absolutely improves the pedal spacing to make throttle blips easier. :thumbsup:

Also, prepping for upcoming trackday season, recently installed new Centric high carbon blank rotors and Stoptech 309 pads on the front. The old pad had a noticeable crack in the pad material, which didn't give me a warm and fuzzy. Granted the pads have been in use for the past 2 seasons. **Edit** These pads have been replaced by G-LOC R8 pads due to them not being suitable for extended track use

Last edited:

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Here are some pics of the ECS Subframe collar and H&R 26mm Front swaybar install. The subframe collar kit eliminated the clunk noise I felt going over inclines and overall completely tightened up the chassis. Car feels so much better. I will say that the instructions that came with the ECS kit are top notch. It also came with all the stretch bolts I needed. For as much shit as we may give ECS Tuning, they definitely hit the mark with this kit.

* Just a disclaimer, this job was an absolute pain in the ass, especially aligning the subframe/control arm to chassis bolt holes. Glad it's over with. :laugh: *

You can see exactly where the subframe was shifting on the driver side.

Same side with collar and Audi bolt now installed.

The way I kept track of all the different subframe bolts.

Subframe and new swaybar installed.

In other news, I'm changing up brake pads for track days. These are the R8 compound, I'll let you guys know some feedback on them soon.

Last edited: