GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When does Turbo kick in?

FlyingYeti

Passed Driver's Ed
I am trying to figure out when turbo boost kick in. With virtually no turbo lag, I don't know if it kicks in at certain RPM, or when flooring gas pedal. So, how can you tell?

tehHooligan

Ready to race!
the turbo doesn't "kick in" per se, it's always working, but the boost on the other hand starts to really build around 2300-2500 rpm. It keeps building till around 5000 rpm, which is where you start to lose power from the peak at 5000-5500 zone. Just look at any dyno chart and you can see where the horsepowers really ramp up and then decline.

shahabdin

Ready to race!
My turbo clicks on when I press the gas peddle a little even in 1st gear ( a liitle usually when turning in to my driveway) or even whilst in reverse gear when pulling out. So I would agree with the guys who state around 2000 rpm.

However when accelerating from stand still it doesn't and only in 2nd gear do I get the boost. I'm kinda thinking that I need to press her a little (rev like when turning in to my driveway) while getting ready to pull away (accelerate) in order to have the turbo work in 1st gear otherwise I feel slow in 1st gear... Any guys shared this experience or even my thought? (Oh yes, btw should've stated I drive a MANUAL).

Cheers :)

mortis

Ready to race!
We have turbos?
Horsepower (SAE) @ rpm 200 @ 5,100-6,000
Maximum torque, lbs/ft @ rpm 207 @ 1,800-5,000

koolgreen

Ready to race!
turbo pressure is a direct function of the amount of exhaust gases produced.
So if you put more fuel into the engine, the exhaust increases proportionately.
vis a vis the exhaust impeller in the turbo turns the boost impeller.
Floor it and it will produce more exhaust and thus more boost.

gebunnag

Passed Driver's Ed
The GTi's turbo is always "kick in" even when the engine is off :23:
and kick in even more when my right foot meet the carpet and i goes arrrrrrrr fcukkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

r56mcs

Ready to race!
turbo pressure is a direct function of the amount of exhaust gases produced.
So if you put more fuel into the engine, the exhaust increases proportionately.
vis a vis the exhaust impeller in the turbo turns the boost impeller.
Floor it and it will produce more exhaust and thus more boost.

After reading your post, I hired a couple of raccoons to suck on my tail pipes to speed up the exhaust exit speed and increase turbo boost.:w00t:
You ask why raccoons...
1. They agreed being behind my car is safer than being in front of my car.
2. When their faces get dirty with the exhaust fume other animals won't laugh at them because they already have dark circles around their eyes.
3. They also agreed to clean my tail pipes with their furry tails to keep them clean.

Last edited:

shahabdin

Ready to race!
After reading your post, I hired a couple of raccoons to suck on my tail pipes to speed up the exhaust exit speed and increase turbo boost.:w00t:
You ask why raccoons...
1. They agreed being behind my car is safer than being in front of my car.
2. When their faces get dirty with the exhaust fume other animals won't laugh at them because they already have dark circles around their eyes.
3. They also agreed to clean my tail pipes with their furry tails to keep them clean.

???:bonk: