GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 12-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #43
Heretic
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI
Location: people laugh and giggle when i tell them where i live, WI
this is looking like a good option for me. i'm not looking for a huge drop and i don't like progressive springs. would like to see some springs rates for stock springs vs. the drivers gear and actual measurements of the drop...
Old 12-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #44
reelknead1
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 CSG GTI
updates?
reelknead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:17 AM   #45
Red2011GTI
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI - TR Stage II+
I went to the Keffer website and it specifically says these springs are not for the GTI. What is the deal with that?

Description

Sport Suspension Springs lowers the standard center of gravity of the vehicle without sacrificing comfort. High dynamic load capacity. Sporty look. High quality corrosion protection. Fits: 2dr (TDI) 2.0 CR TDI Automatic. Not for vehicles equipped with factory lowered sport suspension (GTI).
Old 12-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #46
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by reelknead1 View Post
updates?
Car is & has been in the body shop

Won't have it back until after Christmas, but it will have an alignment done while it's there
Old 12-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #47
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2011GTI View Post
I went to the Keffer website and it specifically says these springs are not for the GTI. What is the deal with that?

Description

Sport Suspension Springs lowers the standard center of gravity of the vehicle without sacrificing comfort. High dynamic load capacity. Sporty look. High quality corrosion protection. Fits: 2dr (TDI) 2.0 CR TDI Automatic. Not for vehicles equipped with factory lowered sport suspension (GTI).
They say that for the MK6 and said that about the MK5 too, but they will in fact work

They just don't lower a GTI as much as a Golf obviously, but the end result/look is the same when both cars have the DriverGear springs on them
Old 12-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #48
Jason3d
Formula 3000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS99SHO View Post
Got mine installed yesterday. I will wait a bit to take pics as it's fairly obvious settling will happen. But the front is clearly lower than the rear. I heart rake so it's not a problem for me.
Any pics yet? How much drop did you see on your car? Any ground to fender measurements?
Jason3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #49
Dr.Dubzz
Ready to race!

Drives: 2010 Golf TDI 4dr 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS99SHO View Post
Got mine installed yesterday. I will wait a bit to take pics as it's fairly obvious settling will happen. But the front is clearly lower than the rear. I heart rake so it's not a problem for me.
I'm very interested to see pictures of the final product. I'm strongly considering these as I would like to keep my warranty and all that.
Dr.Dubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #50
Dubtastic

Drives: one with 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
They say that for the MK6 and said that about the MK5 too, but they will in fact work

They just don't lower a GTI as much as a Golf obviously, but the end result/look is the same when both cars have the DriverGear springs on them
I agree completely with you, but I am a little tossed if I should install a linear spring on a car that already has a progressive spring in it. In other words I dont want to interfere with the dynamics of the car by installing a spring made for a lower performing vehicle. Does this make any sense? Sorry if it doesnt. I'm still pissed that I cant get the VWR springs here and that the eibach pro-kit springs are too damn low.
Dubtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #51
yukoncornelius
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: FIAT abarth aka clown car
Hmmm I thought stock springs were linear....
yukoncornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #52
RPS99SHO
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason3d View Post
Any pics yet? How much drop did you see on your car? Any ground to fender measurements?
I haven't forgotten. I'm off work for the holidays next week and I will get the car cleaned up with pics then. There is a comfortable 1.5 finger gap up front, and a very tight 2 finger gap in the rear. I'll get ground to fender measurements too.

~ Roman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RPS99SHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #53
Dubtastic

Drives: one with 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoncornelius View Post
Hmmm I thought stock springs were linear....
I'm not sure, you might be right. I tried looking it up and could not find any information on it.

Heaven forbid I start a new post over at vortex about this topic.
Dubtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #54
yukoncornelius
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: FIAT abarth aka clown car
Regardless, I think you'll be completely safe with the drivergear springs. Hell it's winter with off and on snow here and I want to order these and get em installed Neeeeeed minor drop plus new wheels!
yukoncornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #55
Jason3d
Formula 3000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtastic View Post
I'm not sure, you might be right. I tried looking it up and could not find any information on it.

Heaven forbid I start a new post over at vortex about this topic.
Yeah, it seems like the culture on vortex is to bitch about every little thing and constantly be reminded that there's a search function. That and a barrage of advertisers. I like this forum much better.

In one of Dan's posts above he said the stock GTI springs were linear. I like the idea of linear as well. More predictable and immediately responsive. It's not like we're going crazy low and need the softer progressive coils for the ride quality to be tolerable. The progressive springs are designed to soak up more bumps and then you get the benefit from the firmer coils after the softer coils have started to compress.
Jason3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #56
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtastic View Post
I agree completely with you, but I am a little tossed if I should install a linear spring on a car that already has a progressive spring in it. In other words I dont want to interfere with the dynamics of the car by installing a spring made for a lower performing vehicle. Does this make any sense? Sorry if it doesnt. I'm still pissed that I cant get the VWR springs here and that the eibach pro-kit springs are too damn low.
Stock springs are in fact linear

VWR springs are not a true VW product....the DriveGear ones are, obviously (if you're concerned about warranty)