GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Driver Gear/VWR Spring Thread

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I went to the Keffer website and it specifically says these springs are not for the GTI. What is the deal with that?

Description

Sport Suspension Springs lowers the standard center of gravity of the vehicle without sacrificing comfort. High dynamic load capacity. Sporty look. High quality corrosion protection. Fits: 2dr (TDI) 2.0 CR TDI Automatic. Not for vehicles equipped with factory lowered sport suspension (GTI).

They say that for the MK6 and said that about the MK5 too, but they will in fact work

They just don't lower a GTI as much as a Golf obviously, but the end result/look is the same when both cars have the DriverGear springs on them

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
Got mine installed yesterday. I will wait a bit to take pics as it's fairly obvious settling will happen. But the front is clearly lower than the rear. I heart rake so it's not a problem for me.

Any pics yet? How much drop did you see on your car? Any ground to fender measurements?

Dr.Dubzz

Got mine installed yesterday. I will wait a bit to take pics as it's fairly obvious settling will happen. But the front is clearly lower than the rear. I heart rake so it's not a problem for me.

I'm very interested to see pictures of the final product. I'm strongly considering these as I would like to keep my warranty and all that.

jaydubz

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
They say that for the MK6 and said that about the MK5 too, but they will in fact work

They just don't lower a GTI as much as a Golf obviously, but the end result/look is the same when both cars have the DriverGear springs on them

I agree completely with you, but I am a little tossed if I should install a linear spring on a car that already has a progressive spring in it. In other words I dont want to interfere with the dynamics of the car by installing a spring made for a lower performing vehicle. Does this make any sense? Sorry if it doesnt. I'm still pissed that I cant get the VWR springs here and that the eibach pro-kit springs are too damn low.

RPS99SHO

Ready to race!
Any pics yet? How much drop did you see on your car? Any ground to fender measurements?

I haven't forgotten. I'm off work for the holidays next week and I will get the car cleaned up with pics then. There is a comfortable 1.5 finger gap up front, and a very tight 2 finger gap in the rear. I'll get ground to fender measurements too.

~ Roman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaydubz

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Hmmm I thought stock springs were linear....

I'm not sure, you might be right. I tried looking it up and could not find any information on it.

Heaven forbid I start a new post over at vortex about this topic.

yukoncornelius

Ready to race!
Regardless, I think you'll be completely safe with the drivergear springs. Hell it's winter with off and on snow here and I want to order these and get em installed :) Neeeeeed minor drop plus new wheels!

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
I'm not sure, you might be right. I tried looking it up and could not find any information on it.

Heaven forbid I start a new post over at vortex about this topic.

Yeah, it seems like the culture on vortex is to bitch about every little thing and constantly be reminded that there's a search function. That and a barrage of advertisers. I like this forum much better. :thumbsup:

In one of Dan's posts above he said the stock GTI springs were linear. I like the idea of linear as well. More predictable and immediately responsive. It's not like we're going crazy low and need the softer progressive coils for the ride quality to be tolerable. The progressive springs are designed to soak up more bumps and then you get the benefit from the firmer coils after the softer coils have started to compress.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I agree completely with you, but I am a little tossed if I should install a linear spring on a car that already has a progressive spring in it. In other words I dont want to interfere with the dynamics of the car by installing a spring made for a lower performing vehicle. Does this make any sense? Sorry if it doesnt. I'm still pissed that I cant get the VWR springs here and that the eibach pro-kit springs are too damn low.

Stock springs are in fact linear

VWR springs are not a true VW product....the DriveGear ones are, obviously (if you're concerned about warranty)

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
In one of Dan's posts above he said the stock GTI springs were linear. I like the idea of linear as well. More predictable and immediately responsive

x2

Predictability is good!

And paired up with a bigger rear sway bar....the car handles PERFECTLY! :thumbsup:

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
I haven't forgotten. I'm off work for the holidays next week and I will get the car cleaned up with pics then. There is a comfortable 1.5 finger gap up front, and a very tight 2 finger gap in the rear. I'll get ground to fender measurements too.

Thanks! Looking forward to it. I know there are pics in the original post but it seems like a good idea to see several examples. It seems like there can be quite some variation on different peoples cars when I compare other springs. I don't know, maybe it's just different photos that make the drops look different. I swear my stock GTI is lower than other stock GTI's I see out there.

I will have to decide if the DG's are enough of a difference from my stock GTI height to justify doing them. TIA

nvm read the thread.

Last edited:

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
DG spring owner here (GTI). Had Koni coilovers, and can tell you first hand that I'm super happy to have switched over. (The progressive springs made the on center 'feel' slightly mushy.)
Wish the car had these from the factory. Its a bit lower, more responsive, less body roll, better poise & platform, with virtually no change in ride quality from stock.

Dan knows what he is talking about. His knowledge of 'proper' for these cars is extensive as he has tried a vast amount of aftermarket equipment for them.

Ten thumbs up.