GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 12-21-2010, 07:11 PM   #57
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason3d View Post
In one of Dan's posts above he said the stock GTI springs were linear. I like the idea of linear as well. More predictable and immediately responsive
x2

Predictability is good!

And paired up with a bigger rear sway bar....the car handles PERFECTLY!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:28 PM   #58
Jason3d
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS99SHO View Post
I haven't forgotten. I'm off work for the holidays next week and I will get the car cleaned up with pics then. There is a comfortable 1.5 finger gap up front, and a very tight 2 finger gap in the rear. I'll get ground to fender measurements too.
Thanks! Looking forward to it. I know there are pics in the original post but it seems like a good idea to see several examples. It seems like there can be quite some variation on different peoples cars when I compare other springs. I don't know, maybe it's just different photos that make the drops look different. I swear my stock GTI is lower than other stock GTI's I see out there.

I will have to decide if the DG's are enough of a difference from my stock GTI height to justify doing them. TIA
Jason3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #59
Vdub_lover
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 Black 6speed GTi
nvm read the thread.

Last edited by Vdub_lover; 12-21-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Vdub_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:18 AM   #60
Simmsled
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: my wife crazy.
DG spring owner here (GTI). Had Koni coilovers, and can tell you first hand that I'm super happy to have switched over. (The progressive springs made the on center 'feel' slightly mushy.)
Wish the car had these from the factory. Its a bit lower, more responsive, less body roll, better poise & platform, with virtually no change in ride quality from stock.

Dan knows what he is talking about. His knowledge of 'proper' for these cars is extensive as he has tried a vast amount of aftermarket equipment for them.

Ten thumbs up.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #61
bizlipkick
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2010 VW GTI
honestly, the drop looks like the drop on my old 20th- (which was perfect, my wife hated my slammed RSX type S, almost to the point of not riding in it, the 20th she loved, smooth over train tracks and such) and while it's not "slammed" in the normal sense, its a great deal considering your staying under warranty and such.
My old GTI the day i picked it up

bizlipkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #62
newgtigeorge
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2011 Candy White GTI 2 dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlipkick View Post
honestly, the drop looks like the drop on my old 20th- (which was perfect, my wife hated my slammed RSX type S, almost to the point of not riding in it, the 20th she loved, smooth over train tracks and such) and while it's not "slammed" in the normal sense, its a great deal considering your staying under warranty and such.
My old GTI the day i picked it up

Your "20th" looks great. It's such an iconic car.
newgtigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #63
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmsled View Post
DG spring owner here (GTI). Had Koni coilovers, and can tell you first hand that I'm super happy to have switched over. (The progressive springs made the on center 'feel' slightly mushy.)
Wish the car had these from the factory. Its a bit lower, more responsive, less body roll, better poise & platform, with virtually no change in ride quality from stock.

Dan knows what he is talking about. His knowledge of 'proper' for these cars is extensive as he has tried a vast amount of aftermarket equipment for them.

Ten thumbs up.
x2 what he said....that's the best way to sum it all up there (in bold)

And thanks man
Old 12-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #64
oeguy
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2010 Carbon GTI
I love the look and can see how the linear spring would be a way better option if you want to retain the OE feel. The one thing that I must question is that I really don't see VW honoring any type of warranty simply because according to them this isn't the correct application for the car regardless if it works or not. Just my opinion
oeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #65
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeguy View Post
The one thing that I must question is that I really don't see VW honoring any type of warranty simply because according to them this isn't the correct application for the car regardless if it works or not. Just my opinion
Sort of true, but it's up to the dealer though

Slammed on coils or H&R Super Sports or something.....forget your warranty (on the suspension components)

But a mild drop on the VW/DriverGear springs....I highly doubt they'll give you crap for it

One of my local dealers installed these springs on a showroom GLI...so yeah...I hardly see an issue here
Old 12-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #66
Dubtastic

Drives: one with 4 wheels
I still wonder why they say its is not for the GTI when it is obviously lower and fits?
Dubtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #67
Jason3d
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmsled View Post

Ten thumbs up.
Any pics of your car?
Jason3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #68
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason3d View Post
Any pics of your car?
He's (Simmsled) got a MK5 GTI with the DG springs on it (I know him from golfmkv)
Old 12-22-2010, 06:00 PM   #69
Simmsled
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: my wife crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
He's (Simmsled) got a MK5 GTI with the DG springs on it (I know him from golfmkv)
Yup. 2009 2-door, TSI, manual. Will affect a 2010 or 2011 just the same. And I have not taken any pics of it with the DG springs because my car is covered in salt and grime right now. Might take a dirty winter shot tonight tho.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #70
Dubtastic

Drives: one with 4 wheels
Looking forward to some pics
Dubtastic is offline   Reply With Quote