GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 12-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
riopgtmn
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2010 GTI Coming Soon
White GTI

Hello,

I did not know where else to post this,

I am new to the VW Scene and thus do not know alot about what parts / vendors are making the best stuff.

I'm active over on NAGTROC (09 Black GT-R)

I am looking to pickup a 2010/11 GTI as a daily driver and would like to modify it.

I have seen all the AWE/APR Parts but looking for advice from some folks more "in the know" about these platforms than I am.

Thanks in advance,

Austin
riopgtmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
DJEuphoria
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 6-Spd Black GTI 2-Door
Oh boy, here we go again.... Haha welcome to the forums! I'd give you a nice intro write up right now but i'm on my phone. I'll let someone else handle this until I get to a computer.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
citrin1893
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: Shadow Blue MK6 3dr 6mt GTI
try goapr.com
citrin1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
riopgtmn
Passed Driver's Ed

I've already viewed the entire product line, It seems like great stuff, Im looking for feedback from those who have ued APR, AWE, etc and what parts they like/ do not like and am also looking for suggestions.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2010, 11:40 PM   #5
dsm1983
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: ...
If this becomes your actual build thread, then later down the road you'll have quite a chuckle at what you posted early on.
It's cool though, man. But this isn't really a great place to ask questions. More like a place to post your progress.
dsm1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
riopgtmn
Passed Driver's Ed

I just did not know where else to post this, lol - suggestions?
Old 12-05-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
dsm1983
Formula 5000 Champion

You can post them in General Discussions or one of the Technical Discussions forums.
I'd first recommend that you hang out on this sub-forum and read as much as you can, including the first Sticky: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9
Old 12-05-2010, 11:52 PM   #8
DJEuphoria
Formula 2 Driver

ok i'm on a computer...

sooooo to give you some advice, APR is quality stuff with great customer service. they charge more for their products but in return give you more peace of mind.

as far as tunes, no one can crack the 2011 ECU yet so you're going to have to wait a bit til that gets worked out. APR is a solid tune that almost everyone on this board will recommend. i'm personally going to go with Revo once it comes out because its a bit more torquey and aggressive and will fit my budget a bit better. AWE offers GIAC tuning which i hear is more aggressive than APR.

you're going to want to do suspension tuning because the stock GTI height is the sport hatchback equivalent of Gravedigger. Koni, KW, and FK offer great coil overs but nothing beats Bilstein or H&R for performance if you got the dough to blow on that.

theres a bunch of intakes to choose from and they all roughly have the same gains, most of the APR Fanboys on this site will tell you to get the carbonio intake. it's closed so it's not as noisy as the other intakes and "looks good" in the engine bay since it's encased in carbon fiber. (personally i like the look of open air intakes more)

once you got your tune and your intake the next performance step is a downpipe+stage 2 software. i wouldn't recommend getting the downpipe before the software because you'll get a nasty CEL.

once you get that far you're going to want an engine mount/dogbone insert to prevent wheel hop. you can find one for $20-$40 bucks.

after that you may or may not want to go Stage 3 with a K04 Turbo, Front Mount Intercooler, Midpipe and Catback Exhaust.... lookin at about $5g's and thats without the midpipe.

add sway bars to maximize your suspension.

did i miss anything?

some good places to shop are:
NAMotorsports.com
Goapr.com
awe-tuning.com
p2spec.com

there's reps from all those sites that post on here pretty frequently so you can get a lot of your questions answered.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:56 PM   #9
dsm1983
Formula 5000 Champion

DJEuphoria,
You missed a lot and that really wasn't helpful.
Not trying to rag on you, but there were some inaccuracies in what you wrote.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #10
DJEuphoria
Formula 2 Driver

well if i wanted to go into every single detail i'd be writing a 10 page essay. it's a crash course from the info i've gathered and, at least, my decision making process. everyone always sits here and argues what tunes are more aggressive or practical, or which intakes give you the most gains, its impossible to get the same answer from everyone. everyone stands up for what they buy, most people don't have experience with more than one kind of a certain product, and dyno results are so different even with the same products that it's impossible to get a solid answer for anything.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:05 AM   #11
riopgtmn
Passed Driver's Ed

Well, I am looking to do a turbo upgrade.

Overall, Im looking to spend around 7500 on upgrades. Bought the car for about 23k so with the mods, overall cost being 30k is solid for a daily driver

From what i've read, the APR Stage 3 nets the most WHP/WTQ

Thanks for the time / suggestions.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:02 AM   #12
GTI_likeurmom
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: Veyron 16.4
welcome to the forum. there is plenty of info on this forum about the mk6 gti. or you could try the mk5 forum to see what has been done to the previous gti's. good luck with your purchase.
I cut the tether off. When I get to the pump, I remove the cap and chuck it into the nearest bush, patch of trees, or some sort of wet lands. I pump gas. Then I spend anywhere from 5 to 165 minutes retrieving the cap. I screw it back on and drive away. I'm not letting it dangle against the paint and I don't know any better way.
GTI_likeurmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #13
riopgtmn
Passed Driver's Ed

Thanks,

I've been doing alot of reading and have found some good information

I'm thinking the route I may go is to fully upgrade all other aspects and "supporting" mods and then do the turbo last

What's the best route for the most solid engine/ transmission mounts? Have not seen alot of solid information on these parts as of yet.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
GTI_likeurmom
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: Veyron 16.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by riopgtmn View Post
Thanks,

I've been doing alot of reading and have found some good information

I'm thinking the route I may go is to fully upgrade all other aspects and "supporting" mods and then do the turbo last

What's the best route for the most solid engine/ transmission mounts? Have not seen alot of solid information on these parts as of yet.
go to http://www.p2spec.com/default.asp and look for engine mount solutions for your gti.
I cut the tether off. When I get to the pump, I remove the cap and chuck it into the nearest bush, patch of trees, or some sort of wet lands. I pump gas. Then I spend anywhere from 5 to 165 minutes retrieving the cap. I screw it back on and drive away. I'm not letting it dangle against the paint and I don't know any better way.
GTI_likeurmom is offline   Reply With Quote