GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dog Barrier

DrGonzo

Ready to race!
Sorry if this has already been discussed - I looked for another thread and couldn't find one. Anyway, I am planning to install a partition to keep my dogs in the back of the car and I don't want to spend $375 for the OEM one - I guess I should have expected parts to be expensive but this is my first European car.

I don't like the cheap universal ones that jam into the headliner and waste the space immediately behind and at the bottom of the back seats either. One option is the Orvis "backseat area barrier" ($59):

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?adv=99656&pf_id=9X45

It looks pretty nice and doesn't waste any space. However I would think you'd have to remove it any time you want to fold the seats down, which would be a drag.

The one I'm leaning towards is the Travall TDG 1209 ($129):

http://www.amazon.ca/TRAVALL-TDG1209-BARRIER-HATCHBACK-2009/dp/B0040Q8X5Y

It looks a lot more substantial but I can't exactly tell from the photos how it's mounted, whether it's bomb proof, or god forbid if any holes have to be drilled. Has anyone installed one of these things? I would like to hear how it's working out if you have. Thanks!

Quoddy

Ready to race!
Unless you have a small dog or very small dogs, it's going to be tight in the space back there. If you need the back seat then there's not much other option. My dog is medium sized (Welsh Springer Spaniel) and I seldom, if ever, use the back seats for anything. I just fold them down and use a good sized wire cage (padded bottom), tightly bungeed to the four tie-downs. Part of the reason that I bought the GTI was so that I could easily take him with me. I have a soft carpeted pad extending from underneath the back of his cage that I can flip out over the rear bumper to protect it from scratches as he stands up there to gain entrance. Doesn't really answer your question about barriers, but it might be an option.

Peachaz

Ready to race!
Sorry if this has already been discussed - I looked for another thread and couldn't find one. Anyway, I am planning to install a partition to keep my dogs in the back of the car and I don't want to spend $375 for the OEM one - I guess I should have expected parts to be expensive but this is my first European car.

I don't like the cheap universal ones that jam into the headliner and waste the space immediately behind and at the bottom of the back seats either. One option is the Orvis "backseat area barrier" ($59):

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?adv=99656&pf_id=9X45

It looks pretty nice and doesn't waste any space. However I would think you'd have to remove it any time you want to fold the seats down, which would be a drag.

The one I'm leaning towards is the Travall TDG 1209 ($129):

http://www.amazon.ca/TRAVALL-TDG1209-BARRIER-HATCHBACK-2009/dp/B0040Q8X5Y

It looks a lot more substantial but I can't exactly tell from the photos how it's mounted, whether it's bomb proof, or god forbid if any holes have to be drilled. Has anyone installed one of these things? I would like to hear how it's working out if you have. Thanks!

The TDG 1209 installs without punching any holes. It has a slotted bracket that fits onto the seat latches and then attaches to the front most trunk anchors. I think I am going to order this one although the link you gave is wonky...and I can't seem to find it on Amazon.ca.

DrGonzo

Ready to race!
The TD1209 seems to be the best option but it is only distributed in the UK and I didn't want to pay shipping. So I went with the "Orvis" product (which actually arrived in a box labled "Walky Guard").

As far as only fitting small dogs in there goes, my 60lb border collie mix and 35lb heeler-aussie mix fit very comfortably - see photos. They are crate trained so being confined doesn't bother them. Most importantly, the smaller the space, the safer your dogs are in a crash - unless you can get them to use seatbelts.

The barrier mounts easily but has to be removed to fold the seats down, so if money is no object get the TD1209. It's a bit tight and the top horizontal bar does contact the headliner - not sure if it will leave a dent if left in place too long.

As you can see I also bought a WeatherTech cargo liner, which has a perfect custom fit.

DrGonzo

Ready to race!
No, they clear it. The biggest problem is making them sit until the hatch is all the way open. One of these days the bigger one is going to launch himself into the edge of the hatch as it's opening and crack his skull.