GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)

Old 01-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #29
jbcritch
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 CSG MK6 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroalex View Post
I previously installed this mirror in my '09 Jetta and ran the wires to the fuse box. I wanted to make things a little easier on my '10 GTI so I gave this install a try and was unsuccessful getting power to the mirror. If you connect both mirror power wires to the same map light power wire (the 2nd connector just a bit further down than the 1st), won't you get a voltage drop? I pulled out my multimeter and found that when the harness was plugged into the mirror and both wires were connected I only saw about 4-6 volts at the connectors. When I unplugged one, the other went back up to 12V. I don't know why I had this issue if several other have done this successfully, though... And I don't have anything skinny enough to test the voltage at the harness, rather than at the connector. So I wanted to try and put one of the other wires on a different 12V source up there, such as power for the bluetooth or sunroof, but wasn't sure which wire was which. Any ideas that I could try?
I believe there is a green/yellow wire, check that.

FYI - I'm not having any power issues with mine and its got both clips on the blue/red wire.

MY MOD THREAD: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12631
jbcritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #30
xg3
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI 6spd Black
Worked flawlessly here! Thank you!
xg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #31
stephenmarklay
Autocross Champion

Drives: CW 2010 6M/2D
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcritch View Post
Yes you can. And there is a company that sells a mounting bracket that fits this mirror perfectly for the V1. Check out www.blendmount.com. Oh, and have you seen the below mirror?

check out www.stealthmirror.com.
cool.
stephenmarklay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #32
KIX
Autocross Champion

Drives: Beetle RSI and Golf Sportwagen
Send a message via MSN to KIX Send a message via Skype™ to KIX
Dang they dont have it on Beige.... :-(
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #33
jbcritch
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Dang they dont have it on Beige.... :-(
You could:

1 - live with black (I've never had anything but a black mirror in my cars)

2 - tape off the mirror and spray plasticote it beige.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:31 AM   #34
jmblur
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: MkVI GTI 2dr DSG CSG
Just ordered my mirror (since my windshield needs replacement anyway, kinda makes sense to do it all at the same time, right?). Free bump since I'll be using this DIY!

2010 MKVI GTI
CSG :: DSG :: HID :: Dynaudio :: Sunroof
18" VW Vision V (summer) :: 17" Detroits (winter) :: P3cars Digital Boost Gauge :: S2T DSG Paddle Shifters :: Euroswitch :: Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror w/ Homelink (install soon)
jmblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #35
jbcritch
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmblur View Post
Just ordered my mirror (since my windshield needs replacement anyway, kinda makes sense to do it all at the same time, right?). Free bump since I'll be using this DIY!
Hate to say this now, but if you were replacing the windsheild anyhow you could have gotten the "light sensor" windsheild and done the auto-dimming mirror, automatic windsheild wipers and automatic headlights all at one time. It would have cost a bit more, but that would have been an awesome retrofit.

either way, this is a good mod. G/L. PM me if you have any questions.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #36
jmblur
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: MkVI GTI 2dr DSG CSG
Quote:
Hate to say this now, but if you were replacing the windsheild anyhow you could have gotten the "light sensor" windsheild and done the auto-dimming mirror, automatic windsheild wipers and automatic headlights all at one time. It would have cost a bit more, but that would have been an awesome retrofit.

either way, this is a good mod. G/L. PM me if you have any questions.
Yeah, I haven't heard of anybody doing it yet though and I'm not positive that the mk5 jetta windshield I'd need would fit (I know that the mk6 has it in europe, but I looked into it and I can't get that windshield here). Plus the parts for the retrofit would have been several hundred more, on top of the expense for the windshield I hadn't planned on...

that and I've decided I need a new mountain bike, so a lot of my free cash is going towards that

2010 MKVI GTI
CSG :: DSG :: HID :: Dynaudio :: Sunroof
18" VW Vision V (summer) :: 17" Detroits (winter) :: P3cars Digital Boost Gauge :: S2T DSG Paddle Shifters :: Euroswitch :: Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror w/ Homelink (install soon)
jmblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #37
ataman
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI
Quote:
Yes you can. And there is a company that sells a mounting bracket that fits this mirror perfectly for the V1. Check out www.blendmount.com. Oh, and have you seen the below mirror?

check out www.stealthmirror.com.
This is amazing!
ataman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #38
zorq
Touring Car Champion

Drives: CW GTI MK6
Does the homelink work with any garage door motors?
zorq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #39
jbcritch
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorq View Post
Does the homelink work with any garage door motors?

I've got the newer rolling code garage door opener and it works great for me.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:01 AM   #40
jaydub
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 4-Door 6MT
So I have an odd question (considering I don't have the car yet...) Homelink is a necessity for me, so I'll probably be doing just this. However, my question is related to the available space up there.

I'm already trying to find ways to conceal a Valentine 1 display inside the mirror. I did this with my MINI and it worked well, but I'm curious if there's enough space in the headliner to stuff in the V1 itself. I don't really care about losing laser alert, since if I get hit with that I'm caught anyway.

Thanks.
jaydub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #41
jbcritch
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydub View Post
So I have an odd question (considering I don't have the car yet...) Homelink is a necessity for me, so I'll probably be doing just this. However, my question is related to the available space up there.

I'm already trying to find ways to conceal a Valentine 1 display inside the mirror. I did this with my MINI and it worked well, but I'm curious if there's enough space in the headliner to stuff in the V1 itself. I don't really care about losing laser alert, since if I get hit with that I'm caught anyway.

Thanks.

There is not. You would also lose side and rear detection if you stuffed the V1 up there (assuming you cut up the headliner so the front detection was visible.

Check out blend mounts. (I think I posted a link above) They show a blend mount on this exact mirror. Not intigrated, but looks good.

EDIT: Here's another solution - use the stealth mirror I posted (with homelink) and install the V1 outside the car near the front grill in this protective box. You still lose rear detection, but would be a great solution:

http://www.a-bond.com/v1case.htm

Last edited by jbcritch; 02-27-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #42
jaydub
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 4-Door 6MT
Thanks for the links. I've been using one of the mounts from CountryJoyCrafts for about a year now and it too has worked flawlessly. I just wish I could find a way to hide the main unit away so that I could rely on the concealed display. I did read someplace that the unit doesn't necessarily operate on line-of-sight from the radar gun, but there's no real sense in disabling the majority of the V1's usefulness in the name of stealth installation.

Thanks again!
Jay
jaydub is offline   Reply With Quote