GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 01-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
joetron
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI 2dr 6mt CSG w/sunroof
So who's trading in their GTI for the R?

I just took delivery of my 2011 GTI in november and then this was announced. I'm really tempted to trade in for the R. Who else is considering?
Old 01-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
2011gti
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: mk6 gti
i wouldnt trade in you will get raped and your ass will be hurting for a long time,,
2011gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
joetron
Autocross Newbie

Yeah i know. It's so stupid to do financially speaking. But i'll probably have the car half paid off by then. I put almost half down on my GTI. I'll probably end up keeping my GTI. Though it's so tempting.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
Ronkerjake
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 Evo X
I wanted to, but I dont really need a nicer car right now.. The roads and drivers in maryland suck ass so i would rather have my GTI get torn up than a Golf R.
-Built/Tuned by Speedcircuit. AMS Widemouth Downpipe, Tomei Titanium test pipe, ETS V2 Extreme catback, ETS 5" SRI, ETS 4" FMIC, Cobb 3-port EBCS, AMS Fuel Rail, Kelford 214B, Cosworth Valves/Springs, OEM Bilstein shocks/Eibach Pro-Kit.
352AWHP/312 WTQ
Ronkerjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
It's tempting sure, and like you, I just got my GTI back in August.

For me, trading in cars and losing money here and there is something I do fairly often, but only if the hit isn't too big. But in this case, I bought an Autobahn GTI and looking at the liklihood of getting an R with the same options ($36K+), in another year or so, and the trade-in value loss on the GTI - just makes me think it's not worth it. While the R is awesome, I think that the GTI is so good in of itself, that for me to probably have to lose perhaps $8K-$10K+ on trade-in including a down payment of probably at least $5K to get the payments reasonable, etc - its just not worth it for me.

I love AWD, I love having a turbo car and the mpg in the GTI/Golf R is awesome for what it does, the look of the R is on a whole other level too - but with just purchasing the GTI and spending a pretty penny for it, it wont be worth it to me. The GTI is already something I've very happy with, but I can't see losing my ass and spending another $10K to step up the R, when I can spend $5K or so and do a lot of great things to the GTI.

BBK's for the GTI are as low as $1500 or perhaps less, if you do MKV R32 setup. APR flashing and a downpipe goes a long way too.

Sorry for the rant, but if I knew the R was coming sooner, I would have just waited it out, but now that I bought the GTI and found its coming, I can't see getting an R till quite some time, perhaps a used 2012 or 2013 in 2014.

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Peachaz
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Black GTI, 2dr, 6MT
Not a chance. I'm loving my GTI except for the waste gate noise between 2k and 3k rpm. The R is going to have the same rattle I think...or maybe it won't with the different turbo. I wish they would come up with a fix for the sound...at this point (4 months old) I'd pay for it.
Peachaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
2011gti
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: mk6 gti
my 2011 gti will be paid of in feb and will deff not even think about an R,, i love my gti and its my babyy
2011gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
euro89
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: CW MK6 GTI, Manual
question! does anyone know if R20 will be available for leasing? since mkv R32 was finance only
Old 01-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
Red2011GTI
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI - TR Stage II+
Don't feel like getting taken on a trade in. Unless I can convince my wife to take the GTI and sell her 2006 Beetle I am not doing it. Like the R but not enough to eat a huge financial hit to do it.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
chinqutie
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: APR KO4 GTI, 2013 x128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
It's tempting sure, and like you, I just got my GTI back in August.

For me, trading in cars and losing money here and there is something I do fairly often, but only if the hit isn't too big. But in this case, I bought an Autobahn GTI and looking at the liklihood of getting an R with the same options ($36K+), in another year or so, and the trade-in value loss on the GTI - just makes me think it's not worth it. While the R is awesome, I think that the GTI is so good in of itself, that for me to probably have to lose perhaps $8K-$10K+ on trade-in including a down payment of probably at least $5K to get the payments reasonable, etc - its just not worth it for me.

I love AWD, I love having a turbo car and the mpg in the GTI/Golf R is awesome for what it does, the look of the R is on a whole other level too - but with just purchasing the GTI and spending a pretty penny for it, it wont be worth it to me. The GTI is already something I've very happy with, but I can't see losing my ass and spending another $10K to step up the R, when I can spend $5K or so and do a lot of great things to the GTI.

BBK's for the GTI are as low as $1500 or perhaps less, if you do MKV R32 setup. APR flashing and a downpipe goes a long way too.

Sorry for the rant, but if I knew the R was coming sooner, I would have just waited it out, but now that I bought the GTI and found its coming, I can't see getting an R till quite some time, perhaps a used 2012 or 2013 in 2014.
what he said. trading the GTI for the R means getting raped.
ko4 club member#14ADV.1/DPE/Akrapovic/Bilstein/Vredestein/DorbritzDesigns/Forge/SPM/034/Stoptech/P3Cars/Southbend/Peloquin/Whiteline/Hotchkis/Unibrace/Osir/OEM+
Quote:
Using automatic climate control as justification to buy/not buy a car = STUPIDEST THING EVER.
Quote:
I've found that if my pants are down around my ankles, this site moves A LOT faster..
chinqutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #11
joetron
Autocross Newbie

yup. I agree with all of the above, i'll probably just keep my gti and go k04 or apr stage 3
Old 01-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
Dirt Nasty
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
No I love my GTI. The R is a Wonderful Car However to me it's not worth Trading my GTI in on. I would love to drive one though, prolly will go to the dealer and take one for a spin.
Dirt Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #13
joetron
Autocross Newbie

I'm not gonna take one for a spin because i'll end up buying it.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #14
stucky
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 12' 4 dr 6sp Man Autobahn. BUH LAK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachaz View Post
Not a chance. I'm loving my GTI except for the waste gate noise between 2k and 3k rpm. The R is going to have the same rattle I think...or maybe it won't with the different turbo. I wish they would come up with a fix for the sound...at this point (4 months old) I'd pay for it.
there is a fix... a tsb out there somewhere.... It includes tying weights to this and that in and around the wastegate... sounds sort of stoopid. But still, eh?
stucky is offline   Reply With Quote