GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 02-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
untangle
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 Autobahn (DSG)
Initial Unibrace feedback

I posted my initial thoughts re Unibraces on this vortex thread (Post #254) today.

Here's what I said:
I am a graduate-level engineer. I own a 2011 GTI and am new to the VW forums. I also own an XB and UB. I have driven everything from a GSXR-1000 to an F/A-18 Hornet (USMC). I'm new here, but now you know my biases.

1. Some things are unmeasurable. Heisenberg proved that.
2. Some things are measurable - but only at great cost, effort, and sometimes only destructively.
3. Some things are best measured with a human-in-the-loop (e.g., a flight control system).
4. But most things are, blessedly, pretty easy to measure (e.g., power increase of a tune).

I believe that the Unibraces are in categories #2 and #3. Prospective buyers just kinda have to live with that. If you can't (or don't want to), fine. But that's the way it is.

For example, I could:

1. Undo the bolts on one side of the XB and/or UB
2. Jack one corner, and measure bolt-hole displacements
3. Then repeat on all four corners
4. Then maybe repeat every 5000 miles or so, as the chassis responds to strain

But I won't. I don't believe I need to. I can just drive diagonally over a speed bump and feel the added rigidity. And hear the attenuation of squeaks going down the freeway. Or wonder about why I'm all of the sudden paying more attention to my front suspension. Maybe I'm imagining those things. But I don't think so.

There's also considerable 'prior art' indicating the efficacy of strut tower bracing and subframe bracing. Hell, if it was doable I'd probably investigate bracing the front towers too. (Maybe the firewall is rigid enough?)

I guess it's also important to point out that I installed both at the same time. I did this because I believe that they are a system - two cooperating planes of stiffness. Two planes describe a 3d space. Thus, most axial and torsional modes are at least partially addressed by having two planes. I believe this. You may not. Cool - don't buy.

I do not believe that any particular wisdom will be gained by asking VW anything about the two dinky pieces of crap that form the OEM system. VW was not even *trying* to build the car that I want, so how could they answer even if I found the 'right person'?

I want a comfortable and practical sports car.

They build a comfortable and practical car that performs well.

What are you building and how much are you willing to risk to get there?

Bob
I felt compelled to post there immediately due to some of the stuff being said. But since my comments are Mk6-related, I thought that this might ultimately be a better place for it.

Bob

MODS: Revo Stage II, EVOMS Intake, 42DD DP, S3 IC, AWE TOP, STS Coils, Unibraces, OZ Legs 18", Conti DW

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
untangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
mikochu
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 VW GTI 2dr 6MT
Bravo.

2010 GTI 2dr MT CSG APR Stage II, SPM V1 IC, R8 Coils, K&N Drop-In, 42DD Race DP, Magnaflow CBE, CM FX300, S3 SS w/ 42DD/VM Bushings, Autotech Insert, StopTech Street Pads, Neuspeed Sport Springs/RSB/RSe12 Wheels, OEM LED Tails, Klyde 8" HU, Focal IFVW
mikochu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
untangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikochu View Post
Bravo.
Thanks. Some of my content and phrasing addresses particulars in the vortex thread, and may look a bit opaque here.

Cheers,

Bob

MODS: Revo Stage II, EVOMS Intake, 42DD DP, S3 IC, AWE TOP, STS Coils, Unibraces, OZ Legs 18", Conti DW

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
Tetsuei
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 WRX
I like it - Bob came to very similar conclusions that I did. That makes me feel so much better about it...
Tetsuei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
DRedman45
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: UG '10 4dr gti(sold)-E86 //M coupe
Send a message via AIM to DRedman45
nice little review...side note the strut brace is out of the question...you would actually have to trim parts of the strut tower to make it work...the only company that actually made one openly admitted it is purely for looks and you will more than likely lose rigidity especially with such a strong firewall haha
DRedman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:40 AM   #6
untangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRedman45 View Post
the strut brace is out of the question...you would actually have to trim parts of the strut tower to make it work
Understood. I became intimately familiar with the strut brace towers after my coilover install... LOL.

Bob

Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
Bender
Banned

Drives: 2014 Focus ST
Great great post Bob!!
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
Hilfloskind
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI CSG 4d/6s
Thats why I love this guy!
Grambles' Unicorn Gym Theory
My Build Thread
Hilfloskind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
VR6Growl
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: '12 Jetta 2.5 SEL; '14 328D xDrive
Excellent post man; nice!
VR6Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #10
Krazy_Z
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI CSG 6MT
Send a message via MSN to Krazy_Z
God I love when you engineers use your education to everyones advantage. Thank you for you knowledge.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
untangle

Thanks, guys.

I'm not trying to pimp these things, but their theory of operation was being challenged in what I believe to be bizarre ways.

As I see it, they are soundly designed and do what they promise to do.

It's up to the buyer whether they want those benefits.

Bob

Old 02-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #12
GTItraveler

Drives: MkIV .:R32
Thanks for the thorough review Bob.
GTItraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #13
James9449
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI, DSG, United Gray
Great post, Bob. You're offering important contributions to improvement of the GTI. I happen to agree with you that you have to do some real work to convert the MK6 -- good as it is -- from an agile, capable vehicle to a more finely tuned, more agile, higher performing sports car. Like most others here, I'm enjoying modding this car, but I'm enjoying the results a bit more. Thanks for your detailed insights. -- James
(USMC '68-'72)
2011 UG GTI 2-door; DSG; Autobahn; Bi-Xenons; Lamin-X front end; Geo-Shield tint (50%); Borla cat-back; full APR Carbonio intake; APR Stage 1 ECU; LED interior lighting; Neuspeed 25mm RSB; BSH motor / transmission / pendulum mounts; BSH catch can with 42dd drain kit; P3 vent-mount digital boost gauge; EuroSwitch; LED city lights; R1 Concepts Premium slotted / drilled rotors; PosiQuiet ceramic pads; VW DG linear springs; misc. cosmetic stuff.
James9449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #14
Red2011GTI
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI - TR Stage II+
Always a pleasure!