GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Ordering | Pricing | PR Material Discussions

Old 02-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
k.ramirez
Oval Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
'11 Jetta vs '10 GTI

My dad's looking to get me a Jetta, and I'm looking to get a steal off of a 2010 GTI since I found a dealer that still has 2 of them left. And if I heard right, the Jetta's interior quality is balls compared to a GTI. I'm looking to get more bang for the buck and I don't know what my dad's doing. Base 2010 GTI 4dr with manual I'd assume would go for like $20k. Someone help me out with that estimate. And personally, I prefer a hatch over a sedan or anything with a "trunk". It makes parking easier, if everyone gets what I mean. Because in a sedan I never see where my trunk ends so I end up being more pussy about it. In a hatch, wherever the door is, basically it's where the car ends. And I think that for a college student, a hatch would definitely be more desirable just for storage purposes. Maybe a GLI I would go for just for the engine. The only problem I got with the GTI is that it's in black and I'm going to Florida for college. And everyone tells me that the car will burn up and stuff. To me, I think that if I get those windscreen shields and tints, it'll be a lot better. Anyone wanna help me out?
k.ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
McQueen77
Banned

Drives: "We only make one thing..."
well, first of all you should be doing some research on the internet as to prices and comparisons but right off the bat, no a base GTI is not 20k. Its more like $24k + add ons or packages + taxes and fees etc. so it will more likely approach $30k. A Jetta is much cheaper and not in the same class, really on any level compared to the GTI. Historically one the least reliable cars in history for starters and really nothing about it is at the level of the GTI - performance, interior, build, etc.. Not to mention the Jetta being kind of a chick car. At the end of the day though, if the old man is buying it for you, shit, drive whatever, its free!

Last edited by McQueen77; 02-12-2011 at 05:11 PM.
McQueen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
k.ramirez
Oval Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen77 View Post
well, first of all you should be doing some research on the internet as to prices and comparisons but right off the bat, no a base GTI is not 20k. Its more like $24k + add ons or packages + taxes and fees etc. so it will more likely approach $30k. A Jetta is much cheaper and not in the same class, really on any level compared to the GTI. Historically one the least reliable cars in history for starters and really nothing about it is at the level of the GTI - performance, interior, build, etc.. Not to mention the Jetta being kind of a chick car. At the end of the day though, if the old man is buying it for you, shit, drive whatever, its free!
The GTI price, I'm going from Zag which lists a base '11 GTI at around $21.5k or something. So a '10 I assume would go for a hell of a lot cheaper than that.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
VW-TX
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI AutoBahn, DSG, Candy White
Okay so how do you own two cars in your sig? You can't include your parents cars dude they are not yours. Now if the Corolla is yours, keep it, and use that. No need to get a new car especially at your age.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
McQueen77
Banned

Drives: "We only make one thing..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.ramirez View Post
The GTI price, I'm going from Zag which lists a base '11 GTI at around $21.5k or something. So a '10 I assume would go for a hell of a lot cheaper than that.
Its not 21.5k or something. A certified pre-owned 2010 GTI goes for around $23k with some basic options like sunroof and detroits, give or take. Edmunds, KBB, Autotrader, consumer reports, etc. are all good sources. Edmunds TMV (true market value) gives a good idea of what the cars are actually selling for based on data compiled from multiple sources. If you think you can get a new GTI for 21k, you are dreaming. New '11 base is about 24k.
http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/gti/2011/

Last edited by McQueen77; 02-12-2011 at 08:58 PM.
McQueen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
VW-TX
Formula 5000 Champion

You will not get one that low. The dealer cost for that car is Invoice. This isn't a Sentra or Corolla. Plus, you have been on here saying you would be getting one for like 6 months. And you still haven't got one. Sounds like a PIPE Dream for you.

Base
2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo
FWD

6-speed Manual
$22,747 Invoice
$23,695 MSRP
Old 02-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
k.ramirez
Oval Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW-TX View Post
Okay so how do you own two cars in your sig? You can't include your parents cars dude they are not yours. Now if the Corolla is yours, keep it, and use that. No need to get a new car especially at your age.
Doesn't say "owns". Says "drives"
Old 02-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
VW-TX
Formula 5000 Champion

Either way, they aren't yours.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
k.ramirez
Oval Champion

Quote:
Either way, they aren't yours.
I didn't deny that. Just pointing it out to you, buddy.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #10
dustinwark
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: MKV GTI
projectors/HIDs > reflectors/halogen
IRS > Torsion beam
rear disc brakes > rear drum brakes
GTI interior > Jetta interior

I think the choice should be clear
dustinwark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:28 PM   #11
Project Snorlax
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2010 mk6 gti
not sure why that guy is so angry with you, but yeah they are right you will realistically be paying about 25k out the door
Project Snorlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:32 PM   #12
Ronkerjake
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 Evo X
Quote:
Oh boy, watch out.
-Built/Tuned by Speedcircuit. AMS Widemouth Downpipe, Tomei Titanium test pipe, ETS V2 Extreme catback, ETS 5" SRI, ETS 4" FMIC, Cobb 3-port EBCS, AMS Fuel Rail, Kelford 214B, Cosworth Valves/Springs, OEM Bilstein shocks/Eibach Pro-Kit.
352AWHP/312 WTQ
Ronkerjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:02 AM   #13
sirdudeth

Drives: A forklift
If you get a Jetta, don't get the S with the ancient 2.slow. The 2.5 is sluggish enough...
Old 02-13-2011, 02:57 AM   #14
tzd

Drives: Golf MkVI 2.5L 2Dr
Please don't get the 2011 Jetta. The only trim of that car that is decent is the just announced and still unavailable GLI.

If you can somehow find a 2010 GTI for that low price by all means go for it. But if not, you'll be much better off with a new Golf 2.5L than a new Jetta.
tzd is offline   Reply With Quote