GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

United Gray MK6 GTI!

MechDriver

or Carbon Steel Gray, still not sure what color mine is...

My story about my car search and how I ended up buying a VW. This will be long, hope it’s worth it.

My mindset was to have a "fun to drive" car. This meant it would have to be a manual transmission. I didn’t want automatic or paddle shifters; I’m old school. I can say just the thought of even buying VW a few weeks ago was not in my mind. Since my future car would be a manual trans, no options except radio, heat, AC; only the basics. Last thing I want is distractions if I am having to shift.

Memories of my most “fun” driving came from learning to drive my parent’s 1972 VW bug with 4 speed manual transmission. In fact, they had a couple bugs. The sound of that rear mounted- air-cooled engine going up and down though the gearbox never left me. It was the fondest memory during my years of driving. I drove a tiny Honda hatchback in the early 1980s with a manual transmission, but for some reason, it seemed sterile, and needed lots of maintenance. The VW with its tiny but loud rear engine was the best!

I wanted to recreate that rear - mounted engine sensation, so I set out to buy a used Super Bug, AKA the world famous and expensive rear-engine leap frog; looking at model years from 2002 to 2006, which are actually water cooled engines. I entertained the thought of buying an older air-cooled (993) version, but never got the chance to see one in person. I spent countless hours studying about the various Super Bug models and reading up on servicing, known issues, etc.

I test drove a few Super Bugs at the nearest Frogger dealership, and was waiting for the “right one” to turn up; there are SO many for sale. Makes you wonder (?)! The reason I was always reluctant to commit to a Super Bug was the never ending scare stories about broken this/that and a wallet that can’t hold money. I ran all the numbers in a worksheet thinking I could pull it off. Its been stated if you have to "run the numbers" you really can't afford it. Ok, now I am looking for practical cars that offer some "punch" and won't break the bank.

My boss who drives BMWs and Mercs had a loaner VW, and suggested I test drive one. I just looked at him and thought to myself “what?”.

I test drove several other cars, not necessarily in the same class, but ones I had interest in, or happened to be available, such as a 2008 MB 560 SL, Infinity G37S, new Mazda Miata, another new Honda, but this time with a manual trans. Of course they were all good, but I thought the Miata was just too small for a car. I drove the Subaru Impreza WRX STI, loads of power, but it didn’t feel right for various reasons.

As much as I always wanted a Super Bug, I can say I was never at ease with the idea of owning a Super Bug; it is too much of an “image” car, and it would be my first sports car, a handful for a beginner, so I am told. But I couldn’t get excited about any of the other cars.

So having no preconceptions about what I should drive, I went to the VW dealer. I stepped inside the cockpit of a fully loaded MK6 on the showroom, and took notice of the plastic steering wheel adjustment. Seemed kind of flimsy. But then I thought to myself a sports car needs to keeps its weight down. The VW salesman stated I should probably buy a DSG, but I said I wanted a manual trans. I decided to look outside at other VWs. Then another salesman asked me if I wanted to test drive a manual GTI. We got in, and my first turn outside of the dealership, WOW, the power at low speeds was evident, but not so much as to blow your socks off. I felt I could drive this car everyday. I came back the next day with the intent on buying my first VW! I have been happy; my first German car, sure feels awesome to drive. I find the drive to be stellar coming from previous reliable but not so exciting Hondas.

My biggest thrill was showing my parents after telling them I had intended to purchase a Super Bug a week prior. All I told them was it was built in Germany and will do 150 mph and I left them guessing until they looked at it. My mom’s statement was “looks expensive”. They laughed when I told them it was a VW! We talked that evening about how well the bugs served our family back in the day.

After reading up on GTI, I am hope for, but expecting less than Honda reliability, but I know I won’t be paying Frogger prices to keep my car running. And I just might buy a Super Bug (aka 993/996/997) one of these days, just not now :)

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
congrats and welcome :thumbup:

post up pics when you can.

And yes, the STI/WRX are fast cars, but lack 95% of what makes the GTI so good for a real "driver's car".

MechDriver

STI/WRX

I felt the WRX could be a great track car, but would be hard to drive everyday. The whole idea behind me getting a sports car would be to start "tracking" though I have no experience in race car driving.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
The STI is the far better track car and tougher to live with on a day to day basis, the rex would be more livable for the daily drive. Road courses are awesome - do eet!

MechDriver

first mod

I want to install a tow hitch to carry a couple bikes, but was told some re-mounting or modifications underneath the car. The VW dealer told me there would be no warranty violation. Now I am wondering if I would still be able to make racing modifications to the car at a later date with the hitch in place. If not, I might need to consider a roof mounted system.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
what "racing modifications"?

MechDriver

being new at this, I haven't read up on any details about what is possible, but for the sake of argument, first step would be "the chip", then any other mods that make the car faster and more suitable for track. It appears many mods involve the exhaust system; and a hitch might get in the way.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
it's possible - I'm not familiar with putting a hitch on the GTI, but it could be an issue I suppose. Do you have any tuner shops by you? I'd start there first.

MechDriver

Just contacted Vic@Eurowurx (Burbank), his response below:

>We are a APR, NEUSPEED dealer to name a few and we do bumper to bumper factory maintenance as well as all .... performance mods. We've never dealt with a tow hitch on a mk6 before. Please call us for more details.<

I'll have to figure out what I want first and go from there. BTW, I think the dark shade of gray means my car is "Carbon Steel Gray" (?).

Attachments

• 2011 GTI, no plate.jpg
    2011 GTI, no plate.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 299

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
yep, that's CSG, not UG.