GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: How to adjust Bi-xenon headlight range

zee

Go Kart Champion
After installing lowering springs, one of the steps below can be used to adjust the range of the headlights. It is necessasary even when the headlight lever(pics needed) on the left rear suspension is re-installed properly

Two options.

I:
Remove of the little plastic cap on the top of the headlights and use an allen wrench to adjust them.
There are two on each headlight assembly(vertical and horizontal). Vertical is white, horizontal is black. It might be hidden" by having a cap installed into the 6mm hex slot.

II:
Using VCDS(vag-com)
Make sure you're on a level surface.
Click Select Controller
Go to 55 - Xenon Range
Go to Basic Settings - 04
Then in the drop down list, select the adaptation/adjustment option (its the only one in the drop down).
Then click the ON/OFF/NEXT button.

The headlights should automatically raise to level position.
Close controller and you're done. Pretty simple.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 13,298
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 14,322
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 15,389
  • IMG_0318.jpg
    IMG_0318.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 49,683

Civilized_Hatch

Ready to race!
assuming you're level ground isn't option II the "better" option or more accurate since the car will adjust to the "proper" levels? whereas option I there's human error?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
great write-up - hopefully doing this tomorrow. Does it have to be dark out / lights on to do this?

zee

Go Kart Champion
assuming you're level ground isn't option II the "better" option or more accurate since the car will adjust to the "proper" levels? whereas option I there's human error?

Yes, you are right. I personally prefer option I, but a few people here are also happy with option II.

Option I is nice since you can set the range of how far you want it to reach. Even further than the OEM range for increased visibility.
Option II is nice since it is automatic and resets to default factory height.

Once the lever has been adjusted with Option I, I do not know if it will affect the default values of Option II when reset as I haven't seen someone try it yet.

great write-up - hopefully doing this tomorrow. Does it have to be dark out / lights on to do this?

It does not have to be dark out to do any of the options, but its easier(with option I) and cooler(with option II).
With Option I, you'll need to see how far the headlights reach in the dark while manually aimed.
With option II, you'll hear the headlight motors raise while you are seated in the car with the beam pattern coming higher(I set mine with DRL on), so you'll see how far the lights were off their mark.

zee

Go Kart Champion
Here are a few measurements for those who try option I.

Ok, so here is my measurement.
It is a small wall but I tried at 8ft,16ft, 26ft and 32ft. The other walls that I found all had curbs or walkways which would have been difficult to measure the actual ground to height.

8ft & 16ft - Cutoff is starts at 25" and rises to 26"
26ft & 32 ft - Cutoff is starts at 24" and rises to 25"

At all distances from the wall, the cutoff drops one inch from the right side of the wall to the left left. So it will probably drop lower if I had more wall on the left. I assume this design is for traffic and will be reversed on a RHD car. That added with the headlight lever always keep the projectors pointing down low.

8ft and 16ft pictures are attached. White balance is off as I had the Camera in manual mode for another non-related photoshoot that I was doing.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
With option II, you'll hear the headlight motors raise while you are seated in the car with the beam pattern coming higher(I set mine with DRL on), so you'll see how far the lights were off their mark.

Oh, so its an auto-adjustment and not a parameter set by the user with VAGCOM. That said, my plan for adjusting these prior to dropping the car, probably isn't feasible then, yes? I was trying to be clever! but sounds like that may not work out with this.

michal

Go Kart Champion
After installing lowering springs, one of the steps below can be used to adjust the range of the headlights. It is necessasary even when the headlight lever(pics needed) on the left rear suspension is re-installed properly
Headlight lever pics:

Attachments

• xenon_rear_adjuster (1).jpg
    xenon_rear_adjuster (1).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 16,308
  • xm.jpg
    xm.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 28,576

ckcspice

just adjusted mine using option 1....done in 2 mins...counter clockwise to raise level and vice versa...great tip guys!!!...cheers

Two options.

I:
Remove of the little plastic cap on the top of the headlights and use an allen wrench to adjust them.
There are two on each headlight assembly(vertical and horizontal). Vertical is white, horizontal is black. It might be hidden" by having a cap installed into the 6mm hex slot.

II:
Using VCDS(vag-com)
Make sure you're on a level surface.
Click Select Controller
Go to 55 - Xenon Range
Go to Basic Settings - 04
Then in the drop down list, select the adaptation/adjustment option (its the only one in the drop down).
Then click the ON/OFF/NEXT button.

The headlights should automatically raise to level position.
Close controller and you're done. Pretty simple.

Last edited:

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
I got myself into a mess trying to use the manual adjustments under the hood. I accidentally adjusted the horizontal screws and changed the l/r settings. This is much harder to get right than the up and down settings. To try to rectify it, I counted the full turns in either direction and counted it to be a full 20 turns to the end points in either direction. To try to make it as close as possible to default, I turned each to the center point by doing 10 turns only, bringing the left and right setting dead center. Something tells me this isn't right though. I feel like they would natually be offset in each direction (possibly further left on the driver side and right on the passenger side to allow for a wider field of lighting).

Can anyone test this by counting the full turns of their driver side to the stop point going in a left direction and to the right with the passenger side? Obviously this can be corrected after they do so if they keep track of the turns.

If someone did this for the up/down screw as well to determine the factory setting for the screws in terms of how many full turns to the end points of the adjustments, it would be really helpful. Since the vagcom method would correct a lowered car to the proper field of beam throw, it would help people reset their manual settings before using vagcom.

Belix

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone have any issues with their xenon's not turning anymore after the drop and adjustment?