GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Mk6 vs......

Old 04-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
Bose
Oval Champion

Drives: '11 CW 6MT
Stock 11 6MT GTI v. Newer Mazdaspeed 3

After a couple weeks I've gotten confident with my new 11. 500 miles on the odo. Coming home from work on Sat had a 2010(?) Mazdaspeed 3 next to me and lots of open road ahead. Running about 35 mph, he's about a car-length ahead and hits it hard. Black smoke pours out his exhaust. I drop to 2nd and floor it. Caught him in about 5 secs and pulled away in 4th gear. Probably a bad driver but it felt good nonetheless.
Bose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
xHeartcoreboyx
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: '10 CW 2DR GTI DSG
Yah he was a terrible driver, nice kill!

xHeartcoreboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
EvoX
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 13' Shelby, GLK 350, C7 Z06 (soon)
i know 3 guys with mazdaspeed 3. they have gone through 7 engines and i think 4 turbos collectively... yay mazda

That being said, nice kill op!
EvoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
danielj

Drives: 2013 BMW x135
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoX View Post
i know 3 guys with mazdaspeed 3. they have gone through 7 engines and i think 4 turbos collectively... yay mazda
How many motor mounts, fuel pumps etc? lol.

Drivers error on the MS3's part. You could have easily gotten spanked.

APR Stage I/ Carbonio Stage I&II Intake/ H&R Super Sports & RSB/ 18" Avant Gardes/ OEM LED Tails/ Some cosmetic stuff/ Now I'm done modding - because I traded it in....
danielj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
EvoX
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 13' Shelby, GLK 350, C7 Z06 (soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj View Post
How many motor mounts, fuel pumps etc? lol.

Drivers error on the MS3's part. You could have easily gotten spanked.
lol, by 7 engines and 4 turbo i mean, 7 complete engine failures, and 4 replaced turbos on the engines while they were healthy
EvoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
Red2011GTI
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI - TR Stage II+
The 3 should have easily spanked you so it was either driver error or an issue with his motor. You neede Stage I to keep with a stock 3.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
danielj

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoX View Post
lol, by 7 engines and 4 turbo i mean, 7 complete engine failures, and 4 replaced turbos on the engines while they were healthy
Oh, I'm with you. I also moderate two Mazda forums and have a number of local friends who have popped holes in their blocks.

My point was the motors peripherals also fail (mounts and fuel pumps).

APR Stage I/ Carbonio Stage I&II Intake/ H&R Super Sports & RSB/ 18" Avant Gardes/ OEM LED Tails/ Some cosmetic stuff/ Now I'm done modding - because I traded it in....
Old 04-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #8
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
I kept up with a new CTS-V today too guy was probably 60, and smoking a cigar while he was driving...

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
TSIpower
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: GTI TSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj View Post
Oh, I'm with you. I also moderate two Mazda forums and have a number of local friends who have popped holes in their blocks.

My point was the motors peripherals also fail (mounts and fuel pumps).
o_O at what horse power level are these mazdaspeed 3 engines breaking? also 1st gen or 2nd gen?
TSIpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
danielj

Those motors can pop when even lightly modded. I know two that had intakes and BOV's - holes popped in the block. Wrong gear, engine speed and load can = boom. Motors the same on both gens.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:20 AM   #11
rossman869
Ready to race!

Drives: 2011 GTI MkVI Black 6 spd snrf/nav
I know this is slightly off topic and will come as no surprise to any of you, but had to share anyways. Tonight on way home from dinner, some guy in a new Toyota Corolla 4 door decides to attempt to race me on the freeway. After an impressive (for a Corolla) 50 mph roundabout (I think the posted speed was 20 mph and the GTI didn't even feel like it wanted to step out while I was watching the Corolla "roll" around the corner) from the 405 south to the 133 north I pulled on side of him and taunted him while in 4th gear. I know mean right??? He floored it to only wind up seeing my taillights in a matter of seconds. Shit I hadn't even hit 5th gear and he was a spec in my mirror. Serious???
rossman869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:26 AM   #12
tehHooligan
Oval Champion

Drives: 2010 UG GTI 2dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman869 View Post
I know this is slightly off topic and will come as no surprise to any of you, but had to share anyways. Tonight on way home from dinner, some guy in a new Toyota Corolla 4 door decides to attempt to race me on the freeway. After an impressive (for a Corolla) 50 mph roundabout (I think the posted speed was 20 mph and the GTI didn't even feel like it wanted to step out while I was watching the Corolla "roll" around the corner) from the 405 south to the 133 north I pulled on side of him and taunted him while in 4th gear. I know mean right??? He floored it to only wind up seeing my taillights in a matter of seconds. Shit I hadn't even hit 5th gear and he was a spec in my mirror. Serious???
If you have a riveting corella kill story consider posting it in a separate vs. post rather than jacking the thread.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:48 AM   #13
McHaggard
Ready to race!

Drives: 2 doors, 4 wheels, engine, seats
i test drove a speed3 before i bought my gti. it really didn't feel any faster and after the ride, i opened the hood and it had a horrible burning plastic kinda smell. the horrible looks was already putting me off and that was the deal breaker. they might be faster to hit 60, but at least the gti can make it to the finish line.
McHaggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #14
Bender
Banned

Drives: 2014 Focus ST
I post this every time this discussion comes up but I think it really captures it for me. This is the review I wrote of both the Ms3 and GTI after driving them back to back: http://everyroadtaken.com/blog/?p=844
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote